heavy weight code needed to be run from "behind the curtains"...?

Daves

My users can receive simple private messages which are stored on database.
They can set their preferences so that new messages should be alerted with
an email. The pages that create these messages are various.

What I need is some global code to send out emails for these messages as
they are created. Since that process could consume some seconds or even
minutes of server time they need to be sent out in the "background" - the
user must not wait while this process is run.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas of how I can do this smoothly?