    and paste the hebrew text in an html page? How to handle this? Things I have
    to watch out for?

    Hans

    me, May 27, 2005

    Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm

    > How to handle this? Things
    > I have to watch out for?
    >
    > Hans

    Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few character
    type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
    about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz
    http://Schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, May 27, 2005

  3. me

    me Guest

    "Roy Schestowitz" <> schreef in bericht
    > me wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
    >> language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow
    >> cut and paste the hebrew text in an html page?

    > Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm
    >
    >> How to handle this? Things
    >> I have to watch out for?
    >>
    >> Hans

    > Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few
    > character
    > type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
    > about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.
    >
    > Roy

    Roy,

    As the text is available in word, i do not need a virtual keyboard (?)

    I tried making a simple html page with pasting the hebrew text in. Editor
    PSPad.
    I tried to save as unicode, but I only get questionmarks as text????

    Hans

    me, May 27, 2005
  4. me

    Els Guest

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > me wrote:
    >
    >> I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
    >> language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow
    >> cut and paste the hebrew text in an html page?

    > Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm
    >
    >> How to handle this? Things
    >> I have to watch out for?

    > Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few character
    > type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
    > about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

    and don't forget to switch the direction of the text from ltr to rtl
    :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, May 27, 2005
  5. me

    me Guest

    "Els" <> schreef in bericht
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> me wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
    >>> language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow
    >>> cut and paste the hebrew text in an html page?

    >> Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm
    >>
    >>> How to handle this? Things
    >>> I have to watch out for?

    >> Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few
    >> character
    >> type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
    >> about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

    > and don't forget to switch the direction of the text from ltr to rtl
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Els http://locusmeus.com/
    > Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    > - Renato Russo -

    Managed to paste the code in my html page from "word" generated html. Code
    looks terrible as expected. Have to find out how to clean that.
    So far i only found that i had to include windows-1252 charset and RTL

    Hans

    me, May 27, 2005
  6. me wrote:

    > I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
    > language site.

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, May 27, 2005
  7. me

    N Cook Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
    > language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow

    cut
    > and paste the hebrew text in an html page? How to handle this? Things I

    have
    > to watch out for?
    >
    > Hans

    Adding Hebrew script is easy but further problems can arise.
    This problem now trying an airing on
    microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
    but no solution so far
    Title
    Unicode problems with saved file and Google cached version

    No problem with this file until I added some Hebrew script
    and saving as unicode.

    Google Cached is mangling the cached version of my site
    http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/dysch.htm
    (medical self-help group)
    http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tGZVDK7QYloJ:www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/dysch
    ..htm+dcsmwd&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8
    but only since adding some Hebrew text
    but I cannot find what the problem is.
    I've tried queries to alt.html and
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/google.public.support.general
    and searching general internet but no solution found.

    I doubt it is a problem with freeserve (fsnet ) site as
    someone else's site
    http://www.purplepalace.fsnet.co.uk/nicklivedates.htm
    These symbols also appear at the top
    ÿþ
    and looking in the Google cached source code of its header has interpreted
    as usingcharset=ISO-8859-1
    although that file contains no foreign script at all as far as I can see
    nor designating ISO-8859-1.
    (I've tried emailing that person but no reply )

    This is someone else's fsnet file that contains a lot of foreign script
    but is not mangled on Google cached
    http://www.hinduism.fsnet.co.uk/namoma/shlokas/shlokas_sri_ramakrishna_lokan
    atha_stotram.htm

    Whether I save as Unicode in Notepad or Word I see no spurious characters
    added to the file when viewed in Word or Command Prompt / Dos / Type
    command.
    But Google seems to see these ÿþ characters. Is the problem
    with Windows 2000 and Word/Notepad or a problem with ftp ?

    N Cook, May 27, 2005
  8. me

    me Guest

    Oops...

    Hope somebody can tell us an answer on this as i forsee problems with my
    html page also.
    I just prepared a large part of it like you did, but if it is going to cause
    problems with google, i will have to find another solution.

    In a few days i will finish my page and i will place it on the server for
    testing.

    Hans

    me, May 27, 2005
  9. me

    N Cook Guest

    "me" <> wrote in message
    > Oops...
    >
    > Hope somebody can tell us an answer on this as i forsee problems with my
    > html page also.
    > I just prepared a large part of it like you did, but if it is going to

    cause
    > problems with google, i will have to find another solution.
    >
    > In a few days i will finish my page and i will place it on the server for
    > testing.
    >
    > Hans

    The only problem with Google is the cached version, the indexing is OK
    and normal browser reading is fine. The right justification and right to
    left conversion is straightforward.
    The easy solution is just .gif or .jpg or in my case .png files supplied
    by the people in Israel or
    convert the 4 'digit' characters to 2 digit UTF-8 version but the next
    language
    summary will be different and no universal simple 16 to 8 conversion
    so same problem next time for Urdu , Arabic or whatever.
    I niaively though it would be useful to have Google caching and indexing
    foreign words as well as English text.

    N Cook, May 27, 2005
  10. "me" <> wrote:

    > As the text is available in word, i do not need a virtual keyboard
    > (?)
    >
    > I tried making a simple html page with pasting the hebrew text in.
    > Editor PSPad.

    This really depends on the software you use. PSPad is unknown to me.

    > I tried to save as unicode, but I only get questionmarks as
    > text????

    But did you see the characters all right in PSPad? If the program has a
    "save as unicode" feature (whatever that means - Unicode has several
    encodings), the odds are that it has some basic Unicode support and
    things should work. So _where_ did you question marks? In a browser?
    Which? It sounds like the browser interprets the data according to a
    wrong encoding _or_ it uses a font that lacks Hebrew characters.

    You could upload the file onto a server and post the URL. Remember to
    set things up so that the document's encoding is declared as UTF-8.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 29, 2005
  11. me

    N Cook Guest

    "N Cook" <> wrote in message
    > "me" <> wrote in message
    > > Oops...
    > >
    > > Hope somebody can tell us an answer on this as i forsee problems with my
    > > html page also.
    > > I just prepared a large part of it like you did, but if it is going to

    > cause
    > > problems with google, i will have to find another solution.
    > >
    > > In a few days i will finish my page and i will place it on the server

    for
    > > testing.
    > >
    > > Hans
    > >

    > The only problem with Google is the cached version, the indexing is OK
    > and normal browser reading is fine. The right justification and right to
    > left conversion is straightforward.
    > The easy solution is just .gif or .jpg or in my case .png files supplied
    > by the people in Israel or
    > convert the 4 'digit' characters to 2 digit UTF-8 version but the next
    > language
    > summary will be different and no universal simple 16 to 8 conversion
    > so same problem next time for Urdu , Arabic or whatever.
    > I niaively though it would be useful to have Google caching and indexing
    > foreign words as well as English text.

    For the archives , the problem seems cracked concerning Hebrew unicode
    text and corrupted Google cached.
    The Google search text is now correct and the cached version should
    be corrected the next time the spider comes around
    Soulution written up and will appear in computer section of
    this file in next few days
    http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repair4.htm

    N Cook, Jun 3, 2005