hebrew characters

me

Hi,

I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow cut
and paste the hebrew text in an html page? How to handle this? Things I have
to watch out for?

Hans

Roy Schestowitz

me said:
Hi,

I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow
cut and paste the hebrew text in an html page?

Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm
How to handle this? Things
I have to watch out for?

Hans

Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few character
type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

Roy

me

Roy Schestowitz said:
Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm

Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few
character
type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

Roy

Roy,

As the text is available in word, i do not need a virtual keyboard (?)

I tried making a simple html page with pasting the hebrew text in. Editor
PSPad.
I tried to save as unicode, but I only get questionmarks as text????

Hans

Els

Roy said:
Use the following virtual keyboard: http://www.hevre.co.il/hebkb.htm

Your editor needs to have code unicode support and there are a few character
type issues to be aware of. Good content management systems tolerate just
about any character/language and modern browsers likewise.

and don't forget to switch the direction of the text from ltr to rtl
:)

me

Els said:
and don't forget to switch the direction of the text from ltr to rtl
:)

Managed to paste the code in my html page from "word" generated html. Code
looks terrible as expected. Have to find out how to clean that.
So far i only found that i had to include windows-1252 charset and RTL

Hans

N Cook

me said:
Hi,

I have to include a half page of text in hebrew characters in my english
language site. And i do not have any experience with that. Can I somehow cut
and paste the hebrew text in an html page? How to handle this? Things I have
to watch out for?

Hans

Adding Hebrew script is easy but further problems can arise.
This problem now trying an airing on
microsoft.public.win2000.file_system
but no solution so far
Title
Unicode problems with saved file and Google cached version

No problem with this file until I added some Hebrew script
and saving as unicode.

Google Cached is mangling the cached version of my site
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/dysch.htm
(medical self-help group)
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:tGZVDK7QYloJ:www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/dysch
..htm+dcsmwd&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8
but only since adding some Hebrew text
but I cannot find what the problem is.
I've tried queries to alt.html and
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/google.public.support.general
and searching general internet but no solution found.

I doubt it is a problem with freeserve (fsnet ) site as
someone else's site
http://www.purplepalace.fsnet.co.uk/nicklivedates.htm
These symbols also appear at the top
ÿþ
and looking in the Google cached source code of its header has interpreted
as usingcharset=ISO-8859-1
although that file contains no foreign script at all as far as I can see
nor designating ISO-8859-1.
(I've tried emailing that person but no reply )

This is someone else's fsnet file that contains a lot of foreign script
but is not mangled on Google cached
http://www.hinduism.fsnet.co.uk/namoma/shlokas/shlokas_sri_ramakrishna_lokan
atha_stotram.htm

Whether I save as Unicode in Notepad or Word I see no spurious characters
added to the file when viewed in Word or Command Prompt / Dos / Type
command.
But Google seems to see these ÿþ characters. Is the problem
with Windows 2000 and Word/Notepad or a problem with ftp ?

me

Oops...

Hope somebody can tell us an answer on this as i forsee problems with my
html page also.
I just prepared a large part of it like you did, but if it is going to cause
problems with google, i will have to find another solution.

In a few days i will finish my page and i will place it on the server for
testing.

Hans

N Cook

me said:
Oops...

Hope somebody can tell us an answer on this as i forsee problems with my
html page also.
I just prepared a large part of it like you did, but if it is going to cause
problems with google, i will have to find another solution.

In a few days i will finish my page and i will place it on the server for
testing.

Hans

The only problem with Google is the cached version, the indexing is OK
and normal browser reading is fine. The right justification and right to
left conversion is straightforward.
The easy solution is just .gif or .jpg or in my case .png files supplied
by the people in Israel or
convert the 4 'digit' characters to 2 digit UTF-8 version but the next
language
summary will be different and no universal simple 16 to 8 conversion
so same problem next time for Urdu , Arabic or whatever.
I niaively though it would be useful to have Google caching and indexing
foreign words as well as English text.

Jukka K. Korpela

me said:
As the text is available in word, i do not need a virtual keyboard
(?)

I tried making a simple html page with pasting the hebrew text in.
Editor PSPad.

This really depends on the software you use. PSPad is unknown to me.
I tried to save as unicode, but I only get questionmarks as
text????

But did you see the characters all right in PSPad? If the program has a
"save as unicode" feature (whatever that means - Unicode has several
encodings), the odds are that it has some basic Unicode support and
things should work. So _where_ did you question marks? In a browser?
Which? It sounds like the browser interprets the data according to a
wrong encoding _or_ it uses a font that lacks Hebrew characters.

You could upload the file onto a server and post the URL. Remember to
set things up so that the document's encoding is declared as UTF-8.

N Cook

N Cook said:
The only problem with Google is the cached version, the indexing is OK
and normal browser reading is fine. The right justification and right to
left conversion is straightforward.
The easy solution is just .gif or .jpg or in my case .png files supplied
by the people in Israel or
convert the 4 'digit' characters to 2 digit UTF-8 version but the next
language
summary will be different and no universal simple 16 to 8 conversion
so same problem next time for Urdu , Arabic or whatever.
I niaively though it would be useful to have Google caching and indexing
foreign words as well as English text.

For the archives , the problem seems cracked concerning Hebrew unicode
text and corrupted Google cached.
The Google search text is now correct and the cached version should
be corrected the next time the spider comes around
Soulution written up and will appear in computer section of
this file in next few days
http://www.divdev.fsnet.co.uk/repair4.htm