HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Floppy Jellopy, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. Google define:supercilious. Nice. I like that word.

    I believe it was warranted though. It was a ridiculous title for a newsgroup
    post which demonstrated a complete disregard for the standards of the forum
    at hand....something the author themselves has since acknowledged.

    "Tom Dacon" <> wrote in message
    > If you're going to be supercilious, at least post a link that's not

    broken.

    > Doesn't make you look too good yourself, amigo.
    >
    > Tom Dacon
    > Dacon Software Consulting
    >
    > "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    > > Please refer to :
    > >
    > > "How to ask a question".
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555372
    > >
    > > I refuse to answer a question made in such a childish manner.
    > >

    > > Juan T. Llibre
    > > ASP.NET MVP
    > > http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > > Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    > > Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    > > ======================
    > >
    > > "J Rieggle" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have been using my machine all day. I decided to reboot. Since

    > rebooting, IIS hasnt
    > > >been working. I initially loaded dev studio with a solution containing

    > web project,
    > > >and it complained that ASP.NET 1.1 wasnt installed - it should have

    been!

    Floppy Jellopy, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    I have been using my machine all day. I decided to reboot. Since
    rebooting, IIS hasnt been working. I initially loaded dev studio with a
    solution containing a web project, and it complained that ASP.NET 1.1 wasnt

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Floppy Jellopy

    dd Guest

    make sure that you have installed complete fremework(arround 20 mb) not just
    a patch (arround 10 mb).

    dd, Jul 21, 2005
  4. Have you run ScanDisk, to ensure that your file system is intact? Is it
    possible that you have a virus? Have you installed any new software
    recently? Are you running any virus protection software?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    The sun never sets on
    the Kingdom of Heaven

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 21, 2005
  5. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    I am donwloading the 1.1 redistributable framework again - its 23.7mb. I
    have already installed this, but will try again. One I install this, is it
    necessary to run aspnet_regiis? What will I see in IIS to indicate ASP.NET
    is supported and 1.1 is assigned?

    Thanks.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  6. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    Kevin,

    I am running latest updates of Norton and have not installed anything new as
    far as I am aware. I have rebooted a few times today, and for some reason
    on this last round, IIS stopped working. I thought that I should be seeing
    ISAPI filters in the IIS properties page, but theres nothing...I install
    this stuff and leave it so I cannot remember what should be where...grrrr

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  7. Please refer to :

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 21, 2005
  8. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    Juan, point taken and nicely said. Other than the title, I feel I have
    explained the problem as best I can. I have absolutely no clue what the
    problem is, and am reading as much as I can on WWW.ASP.NET, the IISFAQ, and
    trawling
    newsgroups. Other than your response, I am getting helpful and sympathetic
    may be unacceptable, for which I apologise. Do you ahve anything
    constructive to add to the problem Juan?

    Thanks

    Jr.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  9. Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    re:
    > Other than your response, I am getting helpful responses from people

    You may not realize it, but my response *was* helpful, at least
    so you don't violate common newsgroup courtesy rules again.

    re:
    > Juan, point taken and nicely said.

    Glad you understand.

    re:
    > Other than the title, I feel I have explained the problem as best I can.

    Well, now that you have changed the title,
    I'll attempt to suggest something which might help you.

    re:
    > I have run aspnet_regiis with -i

    Sometimes that's not enough, particularly if remapping the
    ASP.NET extensions is needed.

    Try, first, running aspnet_regiis -u , to *un*install ASP.NET first,
    and *then* run aspnet_regiis -i .

    If that doesn't work, maybe we can come up with something else.
    That *should* work, though.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 21, 2005
  10. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    Juan,

    I have done as you suggest, invoked IISRESET, and I still get an HTTP 500
    Internal Error. Looking in the event log, I see the following:

    The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The
    specified metadata was not found.'

    I am currently reviewing some material at microsofts site about restoring
    the metabase. I am using IIS5.1 which shouldnt be a problem, but I wonder
    if upgrading to 6 would be worth doing at this stage anyway...

    jr.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  11. Floppy Jellopy

    dd Guest

    no i don't think that will be necessary.

    dd, Jul 21, 2005
  12. Have you run ScanDisk to ensure that your file system is intact?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    The sun never sets on
    the Kingdom of Heaven

    Kevin Spencer, Jul 21, 2005
  13. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    Kevin, yes I ran this and all seems to be fine. A good call though, I never
    thought it woudl be something like that.

    Thanks

    jr.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  14. Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    Upgrading to IIS 6 is only possible by installing Windows 2003 Server.

    If the problem is :
    > The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'.

    Your most likely bet is uninstalling/reinstalling IIS 5.1.

    The catch is that you should uninstall VS.NET before you
    do that, and only reinstall it *after* you reinstall IIS.

    Trying to fix the metabase, other than restoring a backup,
    is -at best- a haphazard, difficult, process whose success
    is far from being guaranteed.

    Uninstalling VS.NET, uninstalling IIS, reinstalling IIS,
    and then reinstalling VS.NET is, by far, your best bet.

    All you'd have to do, then, is re-create your application in the IIS Manager.

    You do *not* have to delete your inetpub\wwwroot's files, nor would you
    have to delete any directory outside wwwroot, if your application's physical
    directory exists anywhere else than inetpub\wwwroot.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 21, 2005
  15. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    Juan,

    Thanks for the advice...I will begin the process of reinstalling...

    jr.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  16. Floppy Jellopy

    Tom Dacon Guest

    Tom Dacon, Jul 21, 2005
  17. re:
    > at least post a link that's not broken.

    It was working at the time I posted it.

    I don't control the availability of KB articles.
    Maybe it was removed after I posted the link ?

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 21, 2005
  18. Floppy Jellopy

    J Rieggle Guest

    Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    Juan,

    Having meticulously uninstalled all versions of dotnet and visual studio,
    then uninstalling iis, rebooting, reinstalling iis, then reinstalling VS.NET
    2003 with 1.1, I still get the error:

    "The server failed to load application '/LM/W3SVC'. The error was 'The
    specified metadata was not found."

    What is ridiculous is that I havent installed anything or done anything to
    the configuration for this problem to manifest itself the way it has.
    Aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh....

    Is it at all possible I can delete these metadata files completely so IIS
    cannot work, uninstall again and install a fresh?

    Lost...late...tired.

    jr.

    J Rieggle, Jul 21, 2005
  19. Here's the complete text, if you were really interested...

    How to ask a question

    SYMPTOMS
    After posting a question to a professional forum or newsgroup and waiting for a while,
    you get the following answer(s) from the active forum/newsgroup members:

    "Your question does not contain all the required information needed for us to help you.

    Please re-write your question, this time make sure you have all the needed info
    and we'll try to help."

    Another symptom of this error is getting the following answer:

    "You question has been answered a zillion times. Please use a decent search engine
    and/or search our archives before posting any future questions"

    or
    "RTFM"
    "STFW"
    "Google is your best friend"

    and others.

    Other variations of the same answer exist, all depending on the forum/newsgroup
    quality and percentage of hackers or open source enthusiasts on the forum/newsgroup
    members list.

    In some severe cases, when trying to reply to this answer yourself, you may find out
    that the nickname you've been using to post on the forum, or that the alias you've been
    using to read and post on the newsgroup has been banned for any future use.

    This article is a loose how-to guide for correct forum and newsgroup question-asking
    and general netiquette.

    CAUSE
    In most cases, getting such an answer (also called "Flame") indicates that you have
    not taken the right steps in formulation your question. In other instances, this type of
    answer might indicate that the information you saw fit to provide in your original
    question is either too little, too late, or totally missing or irrelevant to the question.

    RESOLUTION
    Use the following guidelines when posting questions to a professional forum or newsgroup:

    Before asking

    - Search the archives/FAQ before you post. Most forums and newsgroups have
    some sort of online FAQ (FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions) or archives.

    You should always perform a search on these resources before asking your
    "very important and unique" question.

    ( Disclaimer : this newsgroup doesn't have a FAQ. We are working on one... )

    Many questions have already been answered, there is no point in answering them
    again, and some communities have members who will flame you for not doing so
    before asking. In fact, it's a very good idea to do a keyword search for words relating
    to your problem on the archives before you post. It may find you an answer, and if not
    it will help you formulate a better question.

    - Use online search engines such as MSN Search, Google (which, by now, you should
    know is your friend), Yahoo! and others. Post the error message you're getting on your
    preferred search engine and see what you come up with. For example:

    "I searched Google and found this page that discusses a similar error..."

    - Look for an answer in the manual (or RTFM for short), documentation or Readme file.

    For example:
    "The readme clearly indicated that I should do this, but it seems to..."

    - Ask a skilled friend, but don't take their advice for granted. Many troubleshooting
    scenarios just got worse because "my friend told me to erase the E00.log file and"...

    The title of your question

    Although it might seem silly for some, selecting a good title for the question/thread
    will be the one of the main driving forces for others to want to actually read your item.

    Choosing a badly-formatted title will drive people away, thinking that since the title is
    so badly written, so must be the information and the question within the thread. For
    example:

    "PLEASE HELP, I NEED HELP N O W !!!"

    is an example for a really bad selection of a title for your question. People don't like
    to waste time trying to help people that don't seem to be able to help themselves, or
    at least not being able to correctly describe their problem. Titles like these are likely
    to be filtered by reflex.

    On the other hand. a short, informative title like this one:

    "After swing server restore - MBX store won't
    mount on Exchange 2003 - error C1041737"

    will actually bring people in.

    Skilled members can tell, at a glance, what problem you're having, on what product
    version, and perhaps even the reason for your problem. The ones that know the
    answer will gladly try to help, and those that do not know will gladly enter because
    they would like to find what the answer is for their own benefit.

    The question

    Know how to ask the question, and provide all the necessary information in your
    initial post. For example, a question like:

    "Please help me, I cannot mount exchange mailbox store!!!
    I must repair this ASAP, will someone help me?"

    will also receive the same sort of answers that this article tries to teach you how
    to avoid, or no answers at all. And if someone did want to try to answer, they'd
    need to ask for more information, which in turn will cause you to come back and
    explain yourself, thus lengthening the answering process.

    Good examples of questions will include information
    from most of the following categories:

    - What are you trying to do?
    - Why are you trying to do it?
    - What did you try already, why, and what was the result of your actions?
    - What was the exact error message that you received?
    - How long have you been experiencing this problem?
    - Have you searched the relevant forum/newsgroup archives?
    - Have you searched for any tools or KB articles or any other resources?
    - Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
    - What changes were made to the system between the time everything last worked
    and when you noticed the problem?

    Don't let us assume, tell us right at the beginning.

    Some technical information we need to have (naturally, hardware
    or network-specific questions need their topic-specific information):

    - What Operating System and Service Pack level are you using?
    - What Exchange version and Service Pack level are you using?
    - Tell us about your Active Directory domain environment, or if on a SOHO network,
    then information about your workgroup settings.
    - Tell us about your name resolution topology (DNS, WINS etc.)
    - If applicable, what does the LAN/WAN topology look like?
    Include TCP/IP-relevant information.
    - Migration scenarios - add in your exact details.
    - What does the Event Log say?
    - Do you have current backups? Why not?
    - What does the backup log say?
    - Are you using Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware/Adware tool?
    - Have you checked for virus infection?
    - Is there a Firewall on the host or on the network?
    - Do you have sufficient free disk space? Check again.
    - Any other information you think we might need in order to help you.

    - Do not make us ask your clarification questions, and do NOT make us point you
    back to the manual (RTFM), Google, MSN Search or Yahoo! (STFW for short).

    The more relevant info you provide, the more likely it is that your problem can
    be resolved quickly. Help Us Help You. If you chose not to provide us with the
    relevant information you're just making it more difficult for us to provide you with
    good answers in a timely fashion.

    If you don't care enough about your own problem, it will be much harder for us to
    care enough about it to help you. Don't be surprised if people are less enthusiastic
    about helping you under such conditions.

    - Tell what you have done prior to asking your question. This will help us understand
    that you've done your homework and that you're not just wasting people's time.

    Most active forum members like to help but hate lazy people that just ask because
    they don't want to bother to do the search themselves. Show us that your question
    implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively
    demanding knowledge from others.

    - Write in clear, grammatical, correctly-spelled language. Usually, people who
    are careless and sloppy writers are usually also careless and sloppy thinkers.

    Answering questions for careless and sloppy thinkers is not rewarding, we'd rather
    spend our time elsewhere. Express your question clearly. If you can't be bothered
    to do that, we can't be bothered to pay attention.

    Spend the extra effort to polish your language. It doesn't have to be stiff or formal,
    but it has to be precise. Don't type IN ALL CAPS, this is read as shouting and
    considered rude.

    Follow-up

    Follow up with a brief note on the solution. If one of the answers helped you,
    we would all like to know which one it was, and what you did to finally solve
    your problem. This is all what an online community is about - sharing information.

    Sharing information is not just by taking information from us,
    but also by sharing your success and failure stories, and by helping
    others who might read your post in the future understand what was the
    outcome of the thread.

    Consider how you might be able to prevent others
    from having the same problem in the future.

    Also, saying "Thank you" and letting people understand that you
    care about their time and effort is a good way of getting noticed.

    Saying "Thank you in advance" is not, and most people feel bad about it
    because they read it as "I have a very urgent question I want you to help
    me with, but I don't really have the time to come back and personally thank you,
    because it's MY time I care about, not yours"...

    ---000---

    HTH...

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jul 21, 2005
  20. Re: IIS has stopped working and doesnt recognize ASP.NET projects

    *All* metabase information for IIS 5.1 is stored in
    a file named metabase.bin, which you will find in
    the directory \%windir%\system32\inetsrv

    See :
    http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/libra...html/2b4861f1-8df1-4847-9254-d80484baaba8.asp

    You might want to nuke the whole \system32\inetsrv
    directory after you uninstall IIS 5.1.

    Then, installing IIS 5.1 again should give you a fresh start.
    Installing IIS 5.1 will create a fresh \inetsrv directory for you.

    Sorry for not having made you aware of this earlier.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español