height of printed line for a certain font size

John A Grandy

i am creating asp.net web-forms that the user prints from internet
explorer

what is the proper equation to determine line height in inches for a
certain font size ?

for example , for a 12 pt font , this is my calculation :

line height = ( 12 pts / line ) * ( 1 inch / 72 pts ) = 1/6 "

however , in practice i find that this equation gives erroneous results

for a 12 pt font , does the height of 1 complete line = 12 pts ?

Guest

The browser prints it however it wants. There really isn't anyway to figure
this out. Users can change the font size of the web page too. In IE 6 hold
down crtl and move your scroll wheel to see this in action.

John A Grandy

yes, i know. but this is an intranet app and the users are under strict
training and supervision. no one is going to be playing with any settings.
i'm just looking for an approximation. for a Times New Roman 12 pt font, how
many lines per inch on the printed page ? by trial and error, i have found
that it is no more than 6 ... somewhere between between 5 and 6.