helium.ruby-lang.org was cracked

Shugo Maeda

Randy Lawrence

Shugo said:
[...]
On Fri May 28, we found that someone cracked helium.ruby-lang.org
via CVS.
[...]
The most worrisome contents are the CVS repositories, but these
distributions are not affected at least.

5d52c7d0e6a6eb6e3bc68d77e794898e ruby-1.8.1.tar.gz
bf48d49dbd94b5c0eda5f75b3bfbac16 ruby-1.6.8.tar.gz
[...]

Do we know if the stable-snapshot in CVS was modified?

I noticed when I installed stable-snapshot recently, the version number
was 1.8.2 instead of 1.8.1.

Isn't the snable-snapshot supposed to be 1.8.1 too until 1.8.2 is
officially released?

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

Hi,

Randy said:
Do we know if the stable-snapshot in CVS was modified?

No. We are still working for checking. For now, confirmed versions are
only official releases of 1.6.8 and 1.8.1.
I noticed when I installed stable-snapshot recently, the version number
was 1.8.2 instead of 1.8.1.

Isn't the snable-snapshot supposed to be 1.8.1 too until 1.8.2 is
officially released?

Stable-snapshots released at ruby-lang.org have a version string "1.8.2"
since 2004-05-14T21:26:15+00:00. In ruby, once matz decided to prepare
an official release, he incremented version.h. And preparing the
official release generally takes a few weeks/months.

Regards,
// NaHi

Randy Lawrence

Hi,

No. We are still working for checking. For now, confirmed versions are
only official releases of 1.6.8 and 1.8.1.

Stable-snapshots released at ruby-lang.org have a version string "1.8.2"
since 2004-05-14T21:26:15+00:00. In ruby, once matz decided to prepare
an official release, he incremented version.h. And preparing the
official release generally takes a few weeks/months.

Regards,
// NaHi

Thanks.

In general, is stable-snapshot more reliable (bug-free) than the release
version?

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

First of all, you haven't find any evidence of CVS repository
modification by the crackers after investigation, although we can't
prove 100%. I think you can trust your stable snapshot.

In message "Re: helium.ruby-lang.org was cracked"

|In general, is stable-snapshot more reliable (bug-free) than the release
|version?

Yes.

matz.