Hello Ruby, bye PHP

HHH

Hello,
I'm very impressed with Ruby on Rails.
I've no doubt that Rails will be better for apps with large amount of forms.
But is there any big real-life apps (except signal37) written on Rails ?
What about Rails efficiency vs PHP(mojavi) or Python especially on
multiuser-hammered environments ?

Hubert Mûller

Tobias Luetke

Checkout www.snowdevil.ca, 43things.com etc.

Rails under fastcgi is fast. If you need it faster you can use the
rails caching framework to get to just about any pages/second value
you want.

BearItAll

HHH said:
Hello,
I'm very impressed with Ruby on Rails.
I've no doubt that Rails will be better for apps with large amount of forms.
But is there any big real-life apps (except signal37) written on Rails ?
What about Rails efficiency vs PHP(mojavi) or Python especially on
multiuser-hammered environments ?

Hubert Mûller

I'm fairly new to ruby, but old to c/c++ (and therefore by default,
php). So I might be talking out of my bottom here but...

I like ruby for its simplicity in writing quick utilities, and can't
help feeling that as I get used to it commandline ruby will come in very
usefull.

As to it having a place in major apps, I'm not so sure. Or, taking the
place of php (tried and trusted and easy (if you happen to come from the
c world)).

An example, I did a replacement for the changed files backup system.
Previously written in c++. All it really does is traverse the
directories looking for changed files and marking them in a file for
copy which is a different class in the same program, faster than rsync
plus allows special action for related files (ex datafile and it's indexes).

The original c version took about a week to write. The ruby version
probably one day.

But the speed of execution is really very different.

It doesn't matter in this case because is over night and so has plenty
of time to run.

Part of this will no doubt be because all my functions/classes are
written in full hand, I have for example functions within the classes
that don't really need to be, but are extra checking or output simply
because i haven't full confidence in the language yet. Whereas in c++
over the years I've gotten used to writing in a way that avoids most
excess code.

I always think its wise for a programming language to remember its place
in the system, if ruby were pushed as a major app builder then I suspect
it would be scoffed at for its speed of execution. But, if instead it is
pushed as an easy way onto the programming ladder, or as an application
script language that any user with half a brain could take advantage of,
then I think it has advantages over others. My Open Office with ruby
scripting? I really like the sound of that.