    that people see it more often.

    Thanks

    , Dec 11, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > Good morning everyone,

    Yes it's morning in USA but the newsgroup is not restricted to the USA ;-)

    > I have a question, and would appreciate it if someone could help me
    > out.
    > I have a website that I created and have already placed tags on it
    > with words. But when i do a google search it it appears on say for
    > example page 3-4 and not on the first page.
    > Is there a way that if i do a search for my website that it shows up
    > on page 1 , if not all the time but at least for a limited time so
    > that people see it more often.

    Not really*, nor would you really want to. If the user uses terms that
    best matches a specific page within your website why would you want to
    place impediments to what he wishes to see? Can an author prevent
    someone from cracking open a book and start reading from page 53?

    *well frames does this and it is one of the reasons frames suck...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 11, 2008

  3. Irina Rempt Guest

    On Thursday 11 December 2008 17:16, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > wrote:

    >> I have a website that I created and have already placed tags on it
    >> with words. But when i do a google search it it appears on say for
    >> example page 3-4 and not on the first page.
    >> Is there a way that if i do a search for my website that it shows up
    >> on page 1 , if not all the time but at least for a limited time so
    >> that people see it more often.

    > Not really*, nor would you really want to. If the user uses terms that
    > best matches a specific page within your website why would you want to
    > place impediments to what he wishes to see? Can an author prevent
    > someone from cracking open a book and start reading from page 53?

    No, I think the OP wants the website to appear on the first link of the
    Google results, and tweak it so that it does. Can't help there, I'm
    afraid, I seem to have the opposite problem (site often appearing on first
    page of Google results for a *completely irrelevant search*) .

    Irina

    --
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth
    should that mean that it is not real?" --Albus Dumbledore

    Irina Rempt, Dec 11, 2008
  4. Irina Rempt wrote:
    > On Thursday 11 December 2008 17:16, Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> I have a website that I created and have already placed tags on it
    >>> with words. But when i do a google search it it appears on say for
    >>> example page 3-4 and not on the first page.
    >>> Is there a way that if i do a search for my website that it shows up
    >>> on page 1 , if not all the time but at least for a limited time so
    >>> that people see it more often.

    >> Not really*, nor would you really want to. If the user uses terms that
    >> best matches a specific page within your website why would you want to
    >> place impediments to what he wishes to see? Can an author prevent
    >> someone from cracking open a book and start reading from page 53?

    > No, I think the OP wants the website to appear on the first link of the
    > Google results, and tweak it so that it does. Can't help there,

    On rereading I think your are correct...wow! How communication skills
    have deteriorated... I don't think English as a second language is a
    play here...

    To OP:

    Work for Google! No, seriously by having really good, on-topic content
    in with markup that does not hamper access or indexing spiders...

    > I'm
    > afraid, I seem to have the opposite problem (site often appearing on first
    > page of Google results for a *completely irrelevant search*) .

    Not sure that would be too much of a problem, might pique interest of
    some that were not specifically looking for you...serendipity can be
    profitable...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 11, 2008
  5. Neredbojias Guest

    On 11 Dec 2008, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    >>> wrote:

    >>> Not really*, nor would you really want to. If the user uses terms
    >>> that best matches a specific page within your website why would you
    >>> want to place impediments to what he wishes to see? Can an author
    >>> prevent someone from cracking open a book and start reading from
    >>> page 53?

    >> No, I think the OP wants the website to appear on the first link of
    >> the Google results, and tweak it so that it does. Can't help there,

    > On rereading I think your are correct...wow! How communication skills
    > have deteriorated... I don't think English as a second language is a
    > play here...

    If it makes you feel any better, I interpreted it as you did at
    first...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Dec 11, 2008
  6. Neredbojias wrote:
    > On 11 Dec 2008, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On rereading I think your are correct...wow! How communication skills

    Fate, never criticize writing skills! s/your/you/

    >> have deteriorated... I don't think English as a second language is a
    >> play here...

    > If it makes you feel any better, I interpreted it as you did at
    > first...

    Well now I am not sure <shrugs> either way I think we have the answer
    covered.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 11, 2008
  7. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > Good morning everyone,
    > I have a question, and would appreciate it if someone could help me
    > out.
    > I have a website that I created and have already placed tags on it
    > with words. But when i do a google search it it appears on say for
    > example page 3-4 and not on the first page.
    > Is there a way that if i do a search for my website that it shows up
    > on page 1 , if not all the time but at least for a limited time so
    > that people see it more often.
    >
    > Thanks

    1. Content - a page made from one big image will not do well
    2. Clean markup
    3. Title element must have keywords relavent to that particular page
    4. Good use of heading elements, particularly the h1 element. Again,
    should reflect the content of the page
    5. Good description meta element, again relavent to the page.
    6. Incoming links from other websites, the more popular the better.
    7. Site map is also a good idea if the site has a more than a few pages.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Dec 12, 2008
  8. Neredbojias Guest

    On 11 Dec 2008, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> On 11 Dec 2008, "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On rereading I think your are correct...wow! How communication skills

    > Fate, never criticize writing skills! s/your/you/
    >
    >>> have deteriorated... I don't think English as a second language is a
    >>> play here...

    >> If it makes you feel any better, I interpreted it as you did at
    >> first...

    > Well now I am not sure <shrugs> either way I think we have the answer
    > covered.

    Er, I should have said: at first I interpreted it as you did (...meaning I
    agree with Ms. Rempt.)

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/