"Hello world" ending with HTTP500 error : ASP works fine but WebServices don't

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Emmanuel DURAND, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I (also) have created Webservice project in Visual Studio 2003, by default
    it is
    created the Service.asmx file with the code as

    [WebMethod]
    public string HelloWorld() {
    return "Hello World";
    }

    I can build this project, I can see first and second pages of asp result
    (meaning list of methods and method test button), but when
    choose HelloWorld test button I get an HTTP 500 error (internal server
    error).
    When I refresh (F5) the HTML error page, I get more information you can read
    below.

    I use .NET 1.1.4, IIS5 and don't understand what happends.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards

    Stack
    [InvalidOperationException: Format de demande non reconnu.] (unknown demand
    format)

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.CoreGetHandler(Type
    type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response)

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContex
    t context, String verb, String url, String filePath)
    System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String
    requestType, String path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig) +699

    System.Web.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep
    ..Execute() +95
    completedSynchronously) +173
    Emmanuel DURAND, Jan 11, 2006