Hello World Web Service

John Thompson

Hello,

I recently developed the hello world web service in Visual Studio 2005. If
I right-click on the Service.asmx file that is created, everything works fine
in Visual Studio. After verifying this, I did a Publish Web Site for this
web service. After that, I installed IIS and wanted to view hello world from
another machine to my development machine.

However, after publishing the web site, if I go to look at it from another
box on the network, I get the following error:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
'http://192.168.40.20/XMLService/Serivce.asmx'. Line 1, Position 2.

After looking around on the net for a while, I've tried the following:

\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -r

\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll

I tried the above for both version 1.1 and 2.0 even though I using 2.0.

After that didn't seem to work, I tried re-installing/re-pairing version 1.1
and version 2.0 of the .NET framework.

After that didn't work, I tried enabling Access data sources across domains
in IE on the client. However, this didn't seem to work either.

All I want to do is see the page that comes up in Visual Studio 2005 when I
right-click on Service.asmx and select View in Browser from a remote client.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Thank you,
-- John

John Thompson

Well, I think I know what the problem was. I went through all of these steps
again, but this time I installed my virtual directory under \Inetpub\wwwroot

-- John