Hello World Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by John Thompson, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I recently developed the hello world web service in Visual Studio 2005. If
    I right-click on the Service.asmx file that is created, everything works fine
    in Visual Studio. After verifying this, I did a Publish Web Site for this
    web service. After that, I installed IIS and wanted to view hello world from
    another machine to my development machine.

    However, after publishing the web site, if I go to look at it from another
    box on the network, I get the following error:

    The XML page cannot be displayed

    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and
    then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource
    'http://192.168.40.20/XMLService/Serivce.asmx'. Line 1, Position 2.

    After looking around on the net for a while, I've tried the following:

    \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -i
    \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_regiis.exe -r

    \Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regsvr32 aspnet_isapi.dll

    I tried the above for both version 1.1 and 2.0 even though I using 2.0.

    After that didn't seem to work, I tried re-installing/re-pairing version 1.1
    and version 2.0 of the .NET framework.

    After that didn't work, I tried enabling Access data sources across domains
    in IE on the client. However, this didn't seem to work either.

    All I want to do is see the page that comes up in Visual Studio 2005 when I
    right-click on Service.asmx and select View in Browser from a remote client.

    Does anybody have any other ideas?

    Thank you,
    -- John
    John Thompson, Feb 2, 2006

  2. Well, I think I know what the problem was. I went through all of these steps
    again, but this time I installed my virtual directory under \Inetpub\wwwroot

    -- John

    John Thompson, Feb 2, 2006