HelloWoldService.asmx Invoke test does not return results

derek.takamine

Has any one seen this behavior before?

While on the IIS server I execute the simple HelloWorldService.asmx web
service directly via the IE browser and it brings up the operation test
page with the supported function as expected. The Service Descrption
link works fine. When I click on the HelloWorld test link I get
prompted for a query string as expected. The probelm comes when I
press the Invoke button.

It should echo on a new screen the XML formated string I typed in
previously. But IE just hangs there as if wating for a response...
forever. At this point, I can do a "view source" even though the
browser is still wating for a response. I get back a properly formated
empty HTML doc with body tags and all.

Here's the kicker, if I press refresh on the browser, I get the
proper results shown in the window!

Can anyone help? I'm sure is a simple setting someware that I don't
know of yet.

Thanks in advance!

Derek

derek.takamine

Thanks for the suggestion but It is not an IE issue since the same web
service installed on another IIS server works using the same browser.
It seems that IIS returns an empty html doc rather than the web service
XML result stream. I'll try your tool and report back.

Thanks again,

Derek

Josh Twist

OK.

Be warned, don't pay too much attention to any source pulled from IE
when it's showing a blank page and waiting for a response. Nine times
out of ten this hasn't actually been sent by the server (trust me, I've
used sniffers to confirm this) but it is just a page IE has rendered
whilst it waits for more data from the server.

Let me know how you get on.

derek.takamine

Thanks for your input.

As it turns out after I sync'ed my web config files with production, my
probelm went away. While I'm not sure what the exact source was, I'm
glad I can move forward.

Thanks for the all the help.

Derek