help a returning newbie out?

ClintJCL

I did 6 mos of professional java.. in 1998. Now I just came back to it lastweek. Talk about a system shock. I have a little bit of time to ramp up before I am guided by a co-worker; until then it is mostly self-help. And of course I'm having all kinds of problems.

What is the best route for me to learn how to use MyFaces and RichFaces, which is where my focus is going to be?

I've been using this tutorial on vogella:
http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaServerFaces/article.html#installation_eclipse

But as soon as I got to step 5.8 - actually running it - it threw a bunch of errors.

'de.vogella.jsf.starter.validator.LoginValidator' validator id is is not registered. LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 19 JSF Problem

Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on classpath LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13 JSF Problem

cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'validator-class'. One of '{"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":display-name, "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":icon, "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":validator-id}' is expected. faces-config.xml /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent/WEB-INF line 36 XML Problem

Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on classpath Trainer.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13 JSF Problem

....... Of course, according to the tutorial, this should work.

This environment, being orders of magnitude more complex than what I usually work on, is a bit intimidating. Even the tutorials rarely function as they claim to.

I'm not sure where to even start on figuring out what went wrong. Maybe someone gracious out there could offer either some general advice, or specificsuggestions toward this tutorial.

Or maybe I'm barking up several wrong trees?

Thanks,
-Clint

Jeff Higgins

I've been using this tutorial on vogella:
I'm not sure where to even start on figuring out what went wrong.

How about section 9.

9. Questions and Discussion
Before posting questions, please see the vogella FAQ:
<http://www.vogella.com/faq.html" target="_top">

If you have questions or find an error in this article please use the
www.vogella.com Google Group
<http://groups.google.com/group/vogella" target="_top">

I have created a short list how to create good questions which might
also help you.
<http://www.vogella.com/blog/2010/03/09/asking-community-questions/"
target="_top">

Arne Vajhøj

I did 6 mos of professional java.. in 1998. Now I just came back to
it last week. Talk about a system shock. I have a little bit of time
to ramp up before I am guided by a co-worker; until then it is mostly
self-help. And of course I'm having all kinds of problems.

What is the best route for me to learn how to use MyFaces and
RichFaces, which is where my focus is going to be?
This environment, being orders of magnitude more complex than what I
usually work on, is a bit intimidating. Even the tutorials rarely
function as they claim to.

Going from 1998 (applet or desktop app using AWT, maybe web app with
servlets) to 2012 web app with JSF is a huge jump.

I will recommend taking it in multiple steps.

1) general Java from 1.0/1.1 to 1.6/1.7
2) servlets
3) JSP
4) taglibs
5) JSTL amd EL
6) standard JSF
7) extra JSF components in RichFaces
[...]

Something must be missing.

But difficult to say what based on the above.

Arne