help a returning newbie out?

Discussion in 'Java' started by ClintJCL, Sep 14, 2012.

  1. ClintJCL

    ClintJCL Guest

    I did 6 mos of professional java.. in 1998. Now I just came back to it lastweek. Talk about a system shock. I have a little bit of time to ramp up before I am guided by a co-worker; until then it is mostly self-help. And of course I'm having all kinds of problems.

    What is the best route for me to learn how to use MyFaces and RichFaces, which is where my focus is going to be?

    I've been using this tutorial on vogella:
    http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaServerFaces/article.html#installation_eclipse

    But as soon as I got to step 5.8 - actually running it - it threw a bunch of errors.

    'de.vogella.jsf.starter.validator.LoginValidator' validator id is is not registered. LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 19 JSF Problem

    Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on classpath LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13 JSF Problem

    cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with element 'validator-class'. One of '{"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":display-name, "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":icon, "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":validator-id}' is expected. faces-config.xml /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent/WEB-INF line 36 XML Problem

    Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on classpath Trainer.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13 JSF Problem

    ....... Of course, according to the tutorial, this should work.

    This environment, being orders of magnitude more complex than what I usually work on, is a bit intimidating. Even the tutorials rarely function as they claim to.

    I'm not sure where to even start on figuring out what went wrong. Maybe someone gracious out there could offer either some general advice, or specificsuggestions toward this tutorial.

    Or maybe I'm barking up several wrong trees?

    Thanks,
    -Clint
    ClintJCL, Sep 14, 2012

  2. ClintJCL

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 09/14/2012 10:17 AM, ClintJCL wrote:
    > I've been using this tutorial on vogella:
    > I'm not sure where to even start on figuring out what went wrong.

    How about section 9.

    9. Questions and Discussion
    Before posting questions, please see the vogella FAQ:
    <http://www.vogella.com/faq.html" target="_top">

    If you have questions or find an error in this article please use the
    www.vogella.com Google Group
    <http://groups.google.com/group/vogella" target="_top">

    I have created a short list how to create good questions which might
    also help you.
    <http://www.vogella.com/blog/2010/03/09/asking-community-questions/"
    target="_top">
    Jeff Higgins, Sep 14, 2012

  3. ClintJCL

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/14/2012 10:17 AM, ClintJCL wrote:
    > I did 6 mos of professional java.. in 1998. Now I just came back to
    > it last week. Talk about a system shock. I have a little bit of time
    > to ramp up before I am guided by a co-worker; until then it is mostly
    > self-help. And of course I'm having all kinds of problems.
    >
    > What is the best route for me to learn how to use MyFaces and
    > RichFaces, which is where my focus is going to be?

    > This environment, being orders of magnitude more complex than what I
    > usually work on, is a bit intimidating. Even the tutorials rarely
    > function as they claim to.

    Going from 1998 (applet or desktop app using AWT, maybe web app with
    servlets) to 2012 web app with JSF is a huge jump.

    I will recommend taking it in multiple steps.

    1) general Java from 1.0/1.1 to 1.6/1.7
    2) servlets
    3) JSP
    4) taglibs
    5) JSTL amd EL
    6) standard JSF
    7) extra JSF components in RichFaces

    > I've been using this tutorial on vogella:
    > http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaServerFaces/article.html#installation_eclipse
    >
    > But as soon as I got to step 5.8 - actually running it - it threw a
    > bunch of errors.
    >

    > 'de.vogella.jsf.starter.validator.LoginValidator' validator id is is
    > not registered. LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line
    > 19 JSF Problem
    >
    > Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on
    > classpath LoginView.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13
    > JSF Problem
    >
    > cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content was found starting with
    > element 'validator-class'. One of
    > '{"http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":display-name,
    > "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":icon,
    > "http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee":validator-id}' is expected.
    > faces-config.xml /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent/WEB-INF line 36
    > XML Problem
    >
    > Resource bundle de.vogella.jsf.starter.messages cannot be found on
    > classpath Trainer.jsp /de.vogella.jsf.starter/WebContent line 13 JSF
    > Problem
    >

    > ...... Of course, according to the tutorial, this should work.

    Something must be missing.

    But difficult to say what based on the above.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 15, 2012