HELP Access DB, ASP.NET 2.0 and whole lot of pain

Guest

Hi everyone ok I have 2 serious problems.. Firstly a little background is
that i'm using ASP.NET 2.0 (obviously with the 2.0 Framework) with an Access
Database.

In my Web App i have an upload feature and I've discovered that if i upload
anything below 25 Meg it uploads in a reasonable time (less than 1 min) if i
upload anything above 50 megs when we're talking a big time wait ... for
example a 100 meg file i uploaded took almost 10 min. Now i've recently
discovered the reason for the wait is because of the slow writing to the
database, the file actually uploads really quickly But 99% of the time is
spent writing to the Access Database.. i dont' know the reason but it seems
that the greater the file size it tries to write the longer it takes (the
wait almost seems to increse exponentially).

The second problem with this is that while the upload is still writing the
data to the database other computers (or instances) cannot access the web
app because it seems that it is doing some kinda of heavy processing.. only
when the web app finished writing was i able to access the application. Now
to clarify, on the second workstation when iwas accessing the web server I
was trying to 'login' which requires an access to ANOTHER database ..

My friend tells me my post is too long.. but if anyone has any ideas or
needs more info please lemme know.. thanks

MikeJingJing

Grant Merwitz

Are you trying to store the file in your Access database?
Of over 50 megs a file???

That sounds like madness :-D

Why don't you save the file on your your server, and a reference to that
files location in your database

Guest

Hey Grant.. yes I am trying to store a file over 50 megs into the database..
I see where you are going with your suggestion but as the boss says, "it
needs to be done" .. heh unfortunately the file NEEDS to be stored IN the
database and the file can't reside elsewhere ...

does anyone know a fatal flaw that i'm missing here? any other suggestions?
... thanks Grant btw.. hah

Grant Merwitz

Well, i think you should tell your Boss to stop being cheap and buy Sql
Server. :)
The new Sql Server 2005 is supposed to be great for storing files!

Guest

heh well i wish it were that simple.. the trouble is that we're trying to
make it work with a previous version of the software taht was coded a long
time ago.. which is why wehave to use these Access databases.. gahh

Patrice

It's also your job to warn your boss when he asks for something that is just
not possible. As a side note, Jet is limited AFAIK to 2 Go (that is you'll
be able to store only 20 files of 100 Mo each). IMO you'll have a similar
limit with MSDE.

Even with a more appropriate DB I would still discuss this requirement. Does
he have a legimate expectation for storing the files in the DB ?