Help! ARGH! .net not recognizing VB

RWC

Hi Folks,

I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the lessons
call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the
page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;

"The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."

I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
great.

If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the email
address

Thanks in Advance!
Rick

Marina

Are you sure asp.net is running on this machine? Does your file have a .aspx
extension?

Hans Kesting

RWC said:
Hi Folks,

I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the
ASP.NET 1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the
lessons call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the page and run it (from a remote machine) I get
the
following message;
"The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."

I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools
would be great.

If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the
email address

Thanks in Advance!
Rick

Did you install asp.net *after* installing IIS? (you should)

Dis you give your page an aspx extension (mind the "X")?

RWC

Hi Marina. Thanks for the quick reply.

I ran the ASPNET_REGIIS.EXE with the /i switch from the 1.1 folder, so I'm
assuming it's running, I don't know where to look to find the current
running version. I have it saved with a .asp extension, but have also tried
..aspx which produces another error (if you go to
http://hemmingway.dyns.cx/Testapp.aspx ). Not sure what I'm missing, but
it's driving me nutty!

Thanks!
Rick

vMike

RWC said:
Hi Folks,

I have a windows 2000 server installation, IIS is running and the ASP.NET
1.1 SDK has been installed. I'm reading a book on ASP.NET and the lessons
call for the first line to read <%@ Page Language="VB"%>. When I save the
page and run it (from a remote machine) I get the following message;

"The scripting language 'VB' is not found on the server."

I haven't been able to find ANY other solution. When I type this into
google, I get about 4 hits. Any suggestions or diagnostic tools would be
great.

If you email from this post, remove the caps and underscores from the email
address

Thanks in Advance!
Rick
I don't think you have to have a language designation. Try removing it and
see what happens. I suspect there is some other problem.

Marina

We can't see the error from the outside, because we are not running on that
server.

I don't really see, how you expected asp.net, to run an ASP page. ASP pages
are for ASP to process. ASP.NET can only process pages that end with 'aspx'.

In any case, we can't see your error, so not much we can do.

RWC

Hi Mike,

This is about as simple as it gets. The following is the page that I have
saved as Testapp.aspx. As you can see, nothing fancy happening here (the
actual page does not include the opening and closing quotes);

"<%@Page Language=VB%>

Sub Button_Click(obj as object,e As EventArgs)
response.write(obj.text)
end sub
</script>

<form runat=server>
<asp:button id="btSubmit" text="Submit"
runat=server
onclick="button_click"/><p>
</form>

Rick

RWC

Hi Marina. As stated previously, I've tried both extensions. Per your
request, the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom
error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
<customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

RWC

Oops, sorry, wrong page;

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server cannot access application directory 'F:\MyuFolder\'. The directory
does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access
application directory 'F:\MyuFolder\'. The directory does not exist or is
not accessible because of security settings.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
'F:\MyFolder\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of
security settings.]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDirectory() +72
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +263

[HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +982
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +128

Marina

You have a permissions problem Make sure that ASP.net has access to the
directory it is looking for. And that it actually exists.

But what you need to do first, is to make sure a basic asp.net page can be
served up. Forget about trying to put code in it to do file access.

RWC said:
Oops, sorry, wrong page;

[...]

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032
RWC said:
Hi Marina. As stated previously, I've tried both extensions. Per your
request, the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the
[...]

You are missing the <script> start tag.

RWC said:
Hi Mike,

This is about as simple as it gets. The following is the page that I have
saved as Testapp.aspx. As you can see, nothing fancy happening here (the
actual page does not include the opening and closing quotes);

"<%@Page Language=VB%>

Sub Button_Click(obj as object,e As EventArgs)
response.write(obj.text)
end sub
</script>

<form runat=server>
<asp:button id="btSubmit" text="Submit"
runat=server
onclick="button_click"/><p>
</form>

Rick

RWC

Hi Marina,

This was transcribed verbatim out of the ASP.NET book I'm using. I had
tried it both ways, with and without the script tag but still go the same
message.

Rick

RWC

Hi Marina,

The directory does exist. Currently I have permissions set up for
Administrator, Myself and the InternetUser account. If there is an
independant "ASP.NET" security account that gets set up, I don't see it.

I have tried a basic page as well, something similar to the following;

"<%@ Language=VB %>
<head>
</head>

Hello!

And still get the same message.

Rick

Marina said:
You have a permissions problem Make sure that ASP.net has access to the
directory it is looking for. And that it actually exists.

But what you need to do first, is to make sure a basic asp.net page can be
served up. Forget about trying to put code in it to do file access.

Oops, sorry, wrong page;

RWC said:
[...]

Just forget about scripting.

Try just putting in:

Hello World

Make sure this works in a .aspx file. Then go from there.

RWC

Same error message. I've reviewed the permissions and can't see anything
unusual. If permissions is the problem, then I don't see how the HTML with
VBscript and Javascript works fine, but this doesn't. Running scripts is
allowed in my IIS config just to clarify.

Rick

Marina

Because executing an HTML page, or an ASP page, executes under a different
process then ASP.NET does.

So again, make sure the ASP.NET process has permissions to this directory -
I am assuming you are using this for your virtual directory.

RWC

Something unusual, I added the "Everyone" group giving full control, and
the "Hello" html page worked, the other still would not. When I removed the
"Everyone" group and gave the internet user account full control, the simple
"Hello" html page would not work. I don't want to leave the folder with
"Everyone" having full control, but obviously, I would like it work.

Rick

Dan Nuttle

Drive F: Is that an NTFS drive? I had similar, but not identical problems
when I tried to put pages on a non-NTFS drive. At any rate, try putting
your simplest aspx file right into your c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory, and
try to run it from there with:

http://localhost/pagename.aspx

Where, obviously, pagename.aspx is replaced with the name of your page. If
it works, then drive F is the problem.

RWC said:
Oops, sorry, wrong page;

Server Error in '/' Application.

------
RWC said:
[...]

Guest

What groups have permission to access the folder in question? Including the
main root folder. If you only want yourself to have access, check the IIS
Settings and make sure to set the security to integrate your login with the
website, that way it will run using your login credentials. Also check the
user that is the default user, that user might not have permission to run
asp.net.