Help - Can I create a web page with a table that can be updated by the web viewer

Newsguy

Hi,

I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

Thanks

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Newsguy quothed:
Hi,

I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

Yes. However, you don't want to save the data?

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [Newsguy] on Saturday 22 October 2005 03:40 \__
Hi,

I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

Thanks

It sounds to me like you will have to record the data somewhere unless the
changes made by the visitors should be volatile. The volatility might be
fine if the contributers fill in a form to get some output or simply play
a game.

A popular method of achieving easily-changeable tables, which are also
edited collaboratively, might be a Wiki, though it may require some re-ad-
justments to accommodate for tables without high complexity that requires
user experience.

A Wiki, by the way, would require a database.

Roy

PS - Remember that saving data to your filestore is something that is not
allowed due to security woe. Log files are often the exception, but you
could do something with PHP too provided that necessary privileges are
granted. Be very, very careful if you go down that path.

Gary Dale

Newsguy said:
Hi,

I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

Thanks
If you mean "I want their information to be permanently available to
other visitors", so that the page just keeps on growing, then you need
to store the data somewhere. This means you need some server side
execution privileges. Many ISPs offer a guest-book facility that may do
the job. Otherwise, you will at least need to be able to add the
information to an XML table and recreate the table each time using
javascript.

If you just want the users to have access to their own data, then you
can store it in a cookie. Retrieve the cookie when they come back and
create the table from that.