    in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
    table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

    Thanks
    Newsguy, Oct 22, 2005

  2. In article <8Eh6f.17281$>, "Newsguy" <>
    wrote:

    > I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
    > who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
    > in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
    > table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

    You may be looking for <http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki>

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Newsguy

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Newsguy quothed:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
    > who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
    > in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
    > table be updated...Is this possible without a database?

    Yes. However, you don't want to save the data?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Oct 22, 2005
  4. __/ [Newsguy] on Saturday 22 October 2005 03:40 \__

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
    > who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
    > in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
    > table be updated...Is this possible without a database?
    >
    > Thanks

    It sounds to me like you will have to record the data somewhere unless the
    changes made by the visitors should be volatile. The volatility might be
    fine if the contributers fill in a form to get some output or simply play
    a game.

    A popular method of achieving easily-changeable tables, which are also
    edited collaboratively, might be a Wiki, though it may require some re-ad-
    justments to accommodate for tables without high complexity that requires
    user experience.

    A Wiki, by the way, would require a database.

    Roy

    PS - Remember that saving data to your filestore is something that is not
    allowed due to security woe. Log files are often the exception, but you
    could do something with PHP too provided that necessary privileges are
    granted. Be very, very careful if you go down that path.

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "World ends in five minutes - please log out"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Oct 22, 2005
  5. Newsguy

    Gary Dale Guest

    Re: Help - Can I create a web page with a table that can be updatedby the web viewer

    Newsguy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to create something like a table of text data. I then want my users,
    > who are spread out all over the place, to be able to access the table, fill
    > in the blanks with their info and then have the page and the data in the
    > table be updated...Is this possible without a database?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you mean "I want their information to be permanently available to
    other visitors", so that the page just keeps on growing, then you need
    to store the data somewhere. This means you need some server side
    execution privileges. Many ISPs offer a guest-book facility that may do
    the job. Otherwise, you will at least need to be able to add the
    information to an XML table and recreate the table each time using
    javascript.

    If you just want the users to have access to their own data, then you
    can store it in a cookie. Retrieve the cookie when they come back and
    create the table from that.
    Gary Dale, Oct 22, 2005