help changing current slideshow code

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by GabrielESandoval@gmail.com, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    i currently use the code below to create a slideshow of images. i
    edited it so that its not as long. i currently have over 20 images

    i want to change it so that the images dont appear in the same order
    each time. what would i have to change to make the cycle random???
    thanks in advance for the help.

    gabriel

    -- heres the code --
    <script language="JavaScript1.1">
    <!--

    //specify interval between slide (in mili seconds)
    var slidespeed=100

    //specify images
    var slideimages=new Array("images/slideshow/comp_logo.gif",
    "images/slideshow/logo2.gif", "

    //specify corresponding links
    var slidelinks=new Array("http://www.company.com",
    "http://www.mycompany.com/

    var newwindow=1 //open links in new window? 1=yes, 0=no

    var imageholder=new Array()
    var ie=document.all
    for (i=0;i<slideimages.length;i++){
    imageholder=new Image()
    imageholder.src=slideimages
    }

    function gotoshow(){
    if (newwindow)
    window.open(slidelinks[whichlink])
    else
    window.location=slidelinks[whichlink]
    }
    function openwindow()
    {
    window.open("http://cmis.tamu.edu/web/video.asp","my_new_window","toolbar=no,
    location=no, directories=no, status=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no,
    resizable=no, copyhistory=no, width=700, height=600")
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    , Jul 5, 2006

    wrote:
    > i currently use the code below to create a slideshow of images. i
    > edited it so that its not as long. i currently have over 20 images
    >
    > i want to change it so that the images dont appear in the same order
    > each time. what would i have to change to make the cycle random???
    > thanks in advance for the help.
    >
    > gabriel
    >
    > -- heres the code --
    > <script language="JavaScript1.1">
    > <!--
    >
    > //specify interval between slide (in mili seconds)
    > var slidespeed=100
    >
    > //specify images
    > var slideimages=new Array("images/slideshow/comp_logo.gif",
    > "images/slideshow/logo2.gif", "
    >
    > //specify corresponding links
    > var slidelinks=new Array("http://www.company.com",
    > "http://www.mycompany.com/
    >
    > var newwindow=1 //open links in new window? 1=yes, 0=no
    >
    > var imageholder=new Array()
    > var ie=document.all
    > for (i=0;i<slideimages.length;i++){
    > imageholder=new Image()
    > imageholder.src=slideimages
    > }
    >
    > function gotoshow(){
    > if (newwindow)
    > window.open(slidelinks[whichlink])
    > else
    > window.location=slidelinks[whichlink]
    > }
    > function openwindow()
    > {
    > window.open("http://cmis.tamu.edu/web/video.asp","my_new_window","toolbar=no,
    > location=no, directories=no, status=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no,
    > resizable=no, copyhistory=no, width=700, height=600")
    > }
    > //-->
    > </script>

    Dear sir,
    You will have to either implement an algorithm in order to randomize
    the pattern, or else you can make "i" with the random number (multiply
    the result of this function by ten) and ceiling functions, along with
    an if loop that makes sure that "i", being a random number, is not
    larger than the index of the last image in the array.

    I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    against the King.

    --
    Patrick Reilly
    1st Coy.

    , Jul 6, 2006

  3. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:43:31 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, <pegasusflig
    > posted :
    >
    > wrote:
    >> i currently use the code below to create a slideshow of images. i
    >> edited it so that its not as long. i currently have over 20 images
    >>
    >> i want to change it so that the images dont appear in the same order
    >> each time. what would i have to change to make the cycle random???
    >> thanks in advance for the help.

    >> //specify images
    >> var slideimages=new Array("images/slideshow/comp_logo.gif",
    >> "images/slideshow/logo2.gif", "

    >You will have to either implement an algorithm in order to randomize
    >the pattern, or else you can make "i" with the random number (multiply
    >the result of this function by ten) and ceiling functions, along with
    >an if loop that makes sure that "i", being a random number, is not
    >larger than the index of the last image in the array.
    >
    >I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    >against the King.

    Incompetent advice; you should by now have read the newsgroup FAQ.

    The image URLs are in an array slideimages and will be indexed from 0 to
    slideimages.length-1.

    A random integer in that range is given by Random(slideimages.length)
    where Random in the function in FAQ 4.22.

    There is no need to use Math.ceil, and multiplying by 10 is
    inappropriate here, nor to loop through any checks.

    It is a good idea to understand a topic before giving advice on it.

    If course, if the OP is paid per line of code or in proportion to CPU
    time used in execution then your method has some advantage.

    If the OP's images are wisely named (which at present they appear not to
    be) with a numeric part, then the array of names is not needed, since
    the name can be computed.

    Dr John Stockton, Jul 7, 2006

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article <>
    > , dated Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:43:31 remote, seen in
    > news:comp.lang.javascript, <pegasusflig
    > > posted :
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >> i currently use the code below to create a slideshow of images. i
    > >> edited it so that its not as long. i currently have over 20 images
    > >>
    > >> i want to change it so that the images dont appear in the same order
    > >> each time. what would i have to change to make the cycle random???
    > >> thanks in advance for the help.

    > >> //specify images
    > >> var slideimages=new Array("images/slideshow/comp_logo.gif",
    > >> "images/slideshow/logo2.gif", "

    > >You will have to either implement an algorithm in order to randomize
    > >the pattern, or else you can make "i" with the random number (multiply
    > >the result of this function by ten) and ceiling functions, along with
    > >an if loop that makes sure that "i", being a random number, is not
    > >larger than the index of the last image in the array.
    > >
    > >I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    > >against the King.

    > Incompetent advice; you should by now have read the newsgroup FAQ.
    >
    > The image URLs are in an array slideimages and will be indexed from 0 to
    > slideimages.length-1.
    >
    > A random integer in that range is given by Random(slideimages.length)
    > where Random in the function in FAQ 4.22.
    >
    > There is no need to use Math.ceil, and multiplying by 10 is
    > inappropriate here, nor to loop through any checks.
    >
    > It is a good idea to understand a topic before giving advice on it.
    >
    > If course, if the OP is paid per line of code or in proportion to CPU
    > time used in execution then your method has some advantage.
    >

    > If the OP's images are wisely named (which at present they appear not to
    > be) with a numeric part, then the array of names is not needed, since
    > the name can be computed.
    >
    > --
    > © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    > <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>? JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.

    Dear sir,
    Thank you for the correction. I had not known of the parameter in the
    random function.

    I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    against the King

    --
    Patrick Reilly
    1st Coy.
    Colonel Seth Warner's Regiment

    , Jul 10, 2006
  5. JRS: In article <>,
    dated Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:45:15 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, <pegasusflig
    > posted :

    >Dr John Stockton wrote:

    >> Incompetent advice; you should by now have read the newsgroup FAQ.

    >Thank you for the correction. I had not known of the parameter in the
    >random function.

    From your article formatting, it is evident that you have still not
    studied the newsgroup FAQ. Only a fool would presume to give advice
    without having done so, checking each time what the FAQ actually says.

    Dr John Stockton, Jul 11, 2006

    i know this topic has been dead for awhile but i have a followup
    question. instead of making the images go in a random order is there a
    way to make the starting point random instead instead of starting on
    image 1.

    thanks for all the help ive gotten so far on the topic

    gabriel

    , Jul 12, 2006

    wrote:
    > i know this topic has been dead for awhile but i have a followup
    > question. instead of making the images go in a random order is there a
    > way to make the starting point random instead instead of starting on
    > image 1.
    >
    > thanks for all the help ive gotten so far on the topic
    >
    > gabriel

    Dear sir,
    That is, in effect, what the whole concept of using the Random function
    is. It creates a random positive number (in the case that you put a
    parameter, it uses the parameter as a boundary) and you can use that
    random number as the start. If you want the starting point to be
    random, but the rest of the order not to be, then you will have to have
    the index of the array start with a number generated by the random
    function, but then have the random number increment each time the
    timeout, or interval goes off. I'm sorry for not putting any code in
    here, but I hope you get the concept.

    I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    against the King.

    --
    Patrick Reilly
    1st Coy.
    Colonel Seth Warner's Regiment

    , Jul 13, 2006
  8. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:51:59 remote, seen in
    news:comp.lang.javascript, <pegasusflig
    > posted :
    >
    > wrote:
    >> i know this topic has been dead for awhile but i have a followup
    >> question. instead of making the images go in a random order is there a
    >> way to make the starting point random instead instead of starting on
    >> image 1.

    Neater to start with image 0.

    >> thanks for all the help ive gotten so far on the topic
    >>
    >> gabriel

    >Dear sir,
    >That is, in effect, what the whole concept of using the Random function

    There is no Random function in Javascript as defined by ECMA or
    implemented generally by manufacturers. There is a Method, Math.random;
    a function Random is given in the newsgroup FAQ, but you did not cite
    that.

    >is. It creates a random positive number (in the case that you put a

    It creates a random non-negative integer ... Zero is not positive.

    >parameter, it uses the parameter as a boundary) and you can use that

    Boundary is hardly a good description, since it cannot be reached.

    >random number as the start. If you want the starting point to be
    >random, but the rest of the order not to be, then you will have to have
    >the index of the array start with a number generated by the random
    >function,

    Array indices start at zero; what you have written does not express your
    probable meaning.

    > but then have the random number increment each time the
    >timeout, or interval goes off.

    That's not good enough for an array of finite length unless the run is
    correspondingly limited.

    > I'm sorry for not putting any code in
    >here,

    That's probably your wisest move.

    > but I hope you get the concept.

    <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm#RC> does substantially
    what the OP wants - between "Dynamic" & "Graphic" - except that the mane
    of the image is generated by concatenation in GetFigs and the images are
    loaded into Figs for run-time indexing.

    Dr John Stockton, Jul 14, 2006

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article <>
    > , dated Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:51:59 remote, seen in
    > news:comp.lang.javascript, <pegasusflig
    > > posted :
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >> i know this topic has been dead for awhile but i have a followup
    > >> question. instead of making the images go in a random order is there a
    > >> way to make the starting point random instead instead of starting on
    > >> image 1.

    > Neater to start with image 0.
    >
    > >> thanks for all the help ive gotten so far on the topic
    > >>
    > >> gabriel

    > >Dear sir,
    > >That is, in effect, what the whole concept of using the Random function

    > There is no Random function in Javascript as defined by ECMA or
    > implemented generally by manufacturers. There is a Method, Math.random;
    > a function Random is given in the newsgroup FAQ, but you did not cite
    > that.

    And yet you cited it in your response to my use of the random function
    corresponding to the random method of Math without the parameter. Is
    that not enough of a citation?

    > >is. It creates a random positive number (in the case that you put a

    > It creates a random non-negative integer ... Zero is not positive.
    >
    > >parameter, it uses the parameter as a boundary) and you can use that

    > Boundary is hardly a good description, since it cannot be reached.

    That all depends on your visualization, or definition of a boundary.

    > >random number as the start. If you want the starting point to be
    > >random, but the rest of the order not to be, then you will have to have
    > >the index of the array start with a number generated by the random
    > >function,

    > Array indices start at zero; what you have written does not express your
    > probable meaning.

    I was speaking of the index that is the starting point of the loop for
    the slideshow. This would use an integer and therefore put it as the
    selected index to start the slideshow at. True, array indices start at
    zero, but array indices can be used to select, therefore letting the
    starting point of the _slideshow_ be the index generated by the Random
    method/function.

    > > but then have the random number increment each time the
    > >timeout, or interval goes off.

    > That's not good enough for an array of finite length unless the run is
    > correspondingly limited.

    In effect, the manner I am telling the OP of is exactly that. "of
    finite length" and "correspondingly limited".

    > > I'm sorry for not putting any code in
    > >here,

    > That's probably your wisest move.
    >
    > > but I hope you get the concept.

    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-date2.htm#RC> does substantially
    > what the OP wants - between "Dynamic" & "Graphic" - except that the mane
    > of the image is generated by concatenation in GetFigs and the images are
    > loaded into Figs for run-time indexing.
    >
    > --
    > © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4 ©
    > <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>? JL/RC: FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.

    I still don't understand why people must insult or demote others
    because of simple mistakes. Everyone makes them, and the more you
    make, the more successful you will be. If you wish for proof, I will
    willingly answer you as long as you e-mail me.

    I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    against the King.

    --
    Patrick Reilly
    1st Coy.