    matlab-like scripts sometimes on the shell prompt and sometimes on the
    command line.

    Please help. Thanks in advance.

    amar Singh, Mar 7, 2012

  2. On 07/03/2012 06:24, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Mar 2012 20:06:37 -0800, amar Singh wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am confused between plain python, numpy, scipy, pylab, matplotlib.

    > Python is a programming language. It comes standard with many libraries
    > for doing basic mathematics, web access, email, etc.
    >
    > Numpy is a library for doing scientific numerical maths work and fast
    > processing of numeric arrays.
    >
    > Scipy is another library for scientific work. It is separate from, but
    > uses, Numpy.
    >
    > Matplotlib is a project for making graphing and plotting of numeric data
    > easy in Python.
    >
    > Pylab is a project to be Python's version of Matlab: it intends to be an
    > integrated bundle of Python the programming language, Numpy, Scipy, and
    > Matplotlib all in one easy-to-use application.
    >

    >> I have high familiarity with matlab, but the computer I use does not
    >> have it. So moving to python.
    >> What should I use? and the best way to use it. I will be running
    >> matlab-like scripts sometimes on the shell prompt and sometimes on the
    >> command line.

    > Pylab is intended to be the closest to Matlab, but I don't know how close
    > it is. Also, Pylab is NOT compatible with Matlab: its aim is to be an
    > alternative to Matlab, not to be a clone. So it cannot run Matlab scripts.
    >
    > You might also like to look at Sage:
    >
    > http://www.sagemath.org/
    >
    > Sage is a Python project aimed to be an alternative to Mathematica.
    >

    > Ultimately, you will have to look at the packages, see their features,
    > perhaps try them for a while (they are all free software, so the only
    > cost is your time), and decide for yourself which one meets your needs.
    > We can't answer that, because we don't know what you need.

    Matplotlib is excellent, it has an extensive pile of docs and examples,
    and the mailing list is extremely helpful.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.

    Mark Lawrence, Mar 7, 2012

  3. On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:06:37 -0800 (PST), amar Singh
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am confused between plain python, numpy, scipy, pylab, matplotlib.
    >
    > I have high familiarity with matlab, but the computer I use does not
    > have it. So moving to python.
    > What should I use? and the best way to use it. I will be running
    > matlab-like scripts sometimes on the shell prompt and sometimes on the
    > command line.

    If Matlab compatibility is a high constraint, I'll speak heresy and
    suggest you might look at Octave
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave

    Python is stand-alone programming/scripting language. Numpy is an
    extension package adding array/matrix math operations but the syntax
    won't be a direct match to Matlab; Scipy is an extension package that,
    well, extends Numpy. Matplotlib is a separate package for graphical
    plotting of array data. {simplistic explanation}

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Mar 7, 2012
  4. amar Singh

    amar Singh Guest

    On Mar 7, 9:41 am, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:06:37 -0800 (PST), amar Singh
    > <> declaimed the following in
    > gmane.comp.python.general:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > I am confused between plain python, numpy, scipy, pylab, matplotlib.

    > > I have high familiarity with matlab, but the computer I use does not
    > > have it. So moving to python.
    > > What should I use? and the best way to use it. I will be running
    > > matlab-like scripts sometimes on the shell prompt and sometimes on the
    > > command line.

    >         If Matlab compatibility is a high constraint, I'll speak heresy and
    > suggest you might look at Octavehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Octave
    >
    >         Python is stand-alone programming/scripting language. Numpy is an
    > extension package adding array/matrix math operations but the syntax
    > won't be a direct match to Matlab; Scipy is an extension package that,
    > well, extends Numpy. Matplotlib is a separate package for graphical
    > plotting of array data. {simplistic explanation}
    >
    > --
    >         Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
    >            HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Thanks everyone for helping me on this.

    amar Singh, Mar 7, 2012