help converting xml into html

dude

I using debian stable
I just starting nxml mode to write xml documents.
the problem is that i can find no easy way to convert the xml file into
html

the xmlto program no longer works.

Ive googled and cant find a clear explanation of what I am missing

Joe Kesselman

dude said:
the problem is that i can find no easy way to convert the xml file into
html

The standard solution is to use an XSLT stylesheet that understands your
XML and renders it appropriately in HTML. If you're working with a
well-defined XML-based markup language, you may be able to find a
stylesheet someone else has already written; I'm not familiar with nxml
so I can't advise.

dude

Thanks.
It turns out that the solution was simple, but so simple it was never
explained and was just assumed everyone knoe until I found this

A valid XML document is one that has a document type (or "DOCTYPE")
declaration and conforms to the DTD in that document type declaration.
(Remember, an XML document with no DOCTYPE declaration isn't valid, but
it can still be a legal XML document as long as it's well-formed.
"Valid" is a technical term referring to the presence of and
conformance to a DOCTYPE declaration.)

ie aside from just putting in

<?xml version="1.0"?>

i needed this line for xmlto to work

<!DOCTYPE chapter PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML//EN"
"../dtds/chapter.dtd">