HELP!! CS0016 Compilation Error on Windows 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by RedEagle, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    Hi all,
    I have the following problem with ASP.NET running on Windows 2003. My
    configuration is:

    1) Windows 2003 Server Standard
    2) ASP.NET running in IIS5 Isolation mode (aspnet_wp.exe is alive and
    kicking)
    3) .NET Framework v1.1.4322 (updated by Windows update)
    4) My application running on d:\myapp directory (not c:\Inetpub)

    I compile with Visual Studio, deploy the application (xcopy) so there
    is an update of global.asax
    Obviously an Application_Start event is fired (that's correct, and I
    want it that way!), but "after some time" I get the terrible CS0016
    error (the usual directory
    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\4a2d48d3\bcaf750b\...").

    I can't define that "after some time", because I don't know exactly
    which page is gonna raise the problem (I have developed lot of them),
    sorry. The only thing that I know is that at least one page is gonna
    drive me nuts!

    I have been reading LOT of newsgroups and website about this error,
    including many docs from Microsoft (the TEMP directory howto too!),
    but my error still exists!

    One setting was missing though, the ASPNET user was not in the list of
    users of the %systemroot%\TEMP directory. So I right-clicked on that
    directory and added in the security tab the ASPNET user to the list,
    full control (I don't care right now, it must work, later I can reduce
    security permissions). May that be the problem? If yes, why do I have
    to add ASPNET specifically? Doesn't he belongs to the Users group
    already? Would it make any difference is I add it to the
    Administrators group?

    Right now, to fix my problem quickly, I stop IIS, I delete all subdirs
    in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root folder and I restart my server. Please notice that if I
    didn't restart the server, it wouldn't work anyway! I tried to delete
    all subdirs in the root folder and simply restart IIS, but the error
    would popup again.

    Is there a COMPLETE guide or a complete SET of docs/howto about the
    ASP.NET working processes (iis6 and iis5 isolation mode) for Windows
    2003 ONLY and how they use the temp directory?

    Of course under Windows 2000 Server I had no problems at all.

    Thanks a lot guys!
    Mr.Andrea Billi
    (Red Eagle on radio Citizen Band)

    RedEagle, Mar 1, 2005

  2. RedEagle

    RedEagle Guest

    HELP!! CS0016 Compilation Error on Windows 2003 (antivirus fault?)

    Hi All!
    Hi posted a message but didn't get any answers yet about a pretty bad
    CS0016 Compilation Error behaviour. I set the setting that I describe
    below (as a quote) but it didn't change anything. I still have and
    report the error here in this magic newsgroup.

    Now a second question popups in my mind. I have the Symantec Norton
    Corporate antivirus installed on Windows 2003 (only the client
    version, the server part is on another server). Does the antivirus
    bother IIS 6? Does anyone have had bad experience with that antivirus?
    I tried Nod32 first but it totally blocked my machine after the first
    access of the ASPX page.

    Nod32 guys told me they are investigating the problem, so I tried
    norton and it seemed to work, but now, before uninstalling and/or
    disabling it I would like your opinion!

    Thanks a lot!
    Red Eagle

    RedEagle, Mar 2, 2005