    Preferably one also blessed (cursed ?) with the same environment.
    Thanks,

    Grog
    Grog, Dec 22, 2004

  2. On 21 Dec 2004 19:12:08 -0800, Grog wrote:

    > Medical Educational Applet.
    > Written some years ago - runs with some irritating bugs.

    Like what?

    > May be veiwed at:
    > http://www.acid-base.com/abdiag.ssi

    ...hmmm. OK.

    Saw no stacktraces in my console using WinXP for ..
    IE 6.0026 running JRE 1.5.0
    IE 6.0026 " MSVM 1.1.4
    NN 4.80 " Symantec 1.1.5

    That is a wide range of VM's. From the first that I
    know that existed for a browser, through the current release.

    It also seemed to work logically as far as I understood
    it (which was 'not much') in all three cases. The upper part
    of the graph showed variants of 'blue/good' and the lower section
    displayed 'red/warning' with text appearing in the texarea
    with scrollbars as required. Did I miss something? (Lots?)

    > My debugged code compiles and executes perfectly on the Applet runner,
    > but fails on several combinations of browser/platform.

    Which ones? Please be specific about OS, browser (make
    and version) and Java (make and version)

    The last can be answered here..
    <http://www.physci.org/pc/property.jsp?prop=java.version+java.vendor>

    > Development environment:
    > Mac running OS 10.3.6 with current release of Xcode

    Ughh.. I gave up on even *supporting* Macintoshes in any serious
    way when it turned out that Java for the Mac needs to be specially
    set-up and packaged to invoke 1.4 Java.

    > Is there a kind soul willing to assist this retired medical educator?

    ....hmmm.
    How much code is there in kilobytes? The reason I ask is that well
    meaning professionals[1] who write Java programs generally write
    absolutely terrible and hard to read code.

    I would be looking to get you to trim it down to the shortest
    compileable example[2] that displays the problem. And yes, you
    heard me right 'problem', singular. Solve one problem at a time.

    [1] I'm guessing that roughly describes you, you were in the medical
    field, but wrote this applet?

    [2] <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    > Preferably one also blessed (cursed ?) with the same environment.

    [ I suspect that is asking too much. Most Java developers seem
    to run Windows or Linux. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Dec 22, 2004

  3. In article <6j58b0q9lia8.tpgy5j6aluk1$>,
    Andrew Thompson <> wrote:

    > On 21 Dec 2004 19:12:08 -0800, Grog wrote:
    >
    > > Medical Educational Applet.
    > > Written some years ago - runs with some irritating bugs.

    > Like what?
    >
    > > May be veiwed at:
    > > http://www.acid-base.com/abdiag.ssi

    > ..hmmm. OK.
    >
    > Saw no stacktraces in my console using WinXP for ..
    > IE 6.0026 running JRE 1.5.0
    > IE 6.0026 " MSVM 1.1.4
    > NN 4.80 " Symantec 1.1.5

    Nothing horrible on Mac OS 10.3.7 with Safri or Firefox. The
    diagnostic text box at the bottom has justification problems. Also,
    the button labels on your "Interactive Henderson Equation" don't
    show up reliably. Are these what you mean?

    > That is a wide range of VM's. From the first that I
    > know that existed for a browser, through the current release.

    [gratuitous remarks about Mac OS and "well meaning professionals"
    elided]

    > I would be looking to get you to trim it down to the shortest
    > compileable example[2] that displays the problem. And yes, you
    > heard me right 'problem', singular. Solve one problem at a time.

    > [2] <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>

    Excellent advice.

    > > Preferably one also blessed (cursed ?) with the same environment.

    > [ I suspect that is asking too much.

    Not really.

    > Most Java developers seem run Windows or Linux. ]

    Or Mac OS.

    --
    John
    jmatthews at wright dot edu