Help deploying our Website (access from a different PC but without using IIS ??...)

CFTK

Hi everyone!
Today I had the first demonstration of my Website and I realised that I
couldn´t access to it from another PC different from mine... I had
been reading tutorials and I have seen the posibility of putting it in
a IIS Server as with ASP.NET 1.0 but... isn´t there any other simplest
way to do quick demos..? isn´t it supposed to include a 'light
webserver'...?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Mark Fitzpatrick

There may not be anything you can do. There are several possibilities.

1 - most firewalls on a computer will block attempts to access port 80
remotely. This prevents certain viruses from getting around, not to mention
people attempting to hack into IIS.
2 - most broadband companies block port 80 to prevent business owners and
joe blow from setting up a web server to run a business from their home
without upgrading to a business grade account.
3 - the web servers on a desktop os aren't designed to be run like IIS on a
Win 2003 box and may not serve up pages to non-localhost addresses. ie: only
serving up the request if it comes through the local machine and not the
network.
4 - IIS on a Win XP box is not bound to a specific IP. Sometimes this causes
problems as it won't bind to the IP address supplied by the internet
conection.

Basically though, if you need to show off a website you'll want to get a
demonstration account somewhere. Running it off your local machine to do
off-site demonstrations is far too problematic. You can pickup accounts for
real cheap nowadays, 8$ a month at crystaltech ($17 with SQL Server 2005)
and brinkster is still real cheap, about $7 as well.

--

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick