HELP: Displaying an HTML in an explorers directory

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by AE, Feb 2, 2006.

  1. AE

    AE Guest

    Hi there.

    I would like to organize some directories on my hard disk, I have to
    use generic names that not always give me an idea of what the file
    contains. What I would like to do is to have an index to display the
    contents of each file.

    the first option we thought was to use a simple .txt file since it's
    easy to open and to edit.

    Then someone suggested to use an html file in order to display both
    name of the file and its description without having to open an extra
    file. The problem about this is that we want to keep it simple when
    updating the index.

    What would you recommend us to use?
    I think the HTML idea is a good one if we get to update the
    descriptions easily.

    what do we need for this?
    - an HTML file?
    - an INI file?
    - some javascript?

    the description should be updatable by just by clicking and typing, I
    dont want people to deal with HTML code...

    any ideas on how to solve this?
    AE, Feb 2, 2006

  2. AE

    AE Guest

    Just so you can have an idea of what I want....
    it would be something like an html skin for each directory...with an
    update description button for each file...

    and the file listing should be updated each time a file is deleted or
    added to the directory...

    I dont know if I'm being clear about this....
    AE, Feb 2, 2006

  3. AE

    DJ Majestik Guest

    First of all, you would need some kind of server side technology (ASP,
    PHP, .NET, JAVA) to read the directory listings in. If you want
    information attached to each file, your gonna need a database of some
    sort (flat file, mysql, etc.) to catalog files and their descriptions.
    Your also going to need some kind of watch on the directory (I know how
    to do this in .NET) to read from your directory everytime something
    changes.

    Not really clear on what you are doing, but that should get the ball
    rolling.

    JJ
    DJ Majestik, Feb 2, 2006
  4. AE

    AE Guest

    >First of all, you would need some kind of server side technology (ASP,
    >PHP, .NET, JAVA) to read the directory listings in. If you want
    >information attached to each file, your gonna need a database of some
    >sort (flat file, mysql, etc.) to catalog files and their descriptions.
    >Your also going to need some kind of watch on the directory (I know how
    >to do this in .NET) to read from your directory everytime something
    >changes.
    >

    >Not really clear on what you are doing, but that should get the ball
    >rolling.
    >

    >JJ

    But what if I want this just in one computer? I mean, I dont have any
    servers around or anything.
    is this possible?
    AE, Feb 3, 2006
  5. AE

    AE Guest

    What I would like is something like an HTML skin on each directory....
    AE, Feb 3, 2006