help displaying pdf thru client/server

PaulS

Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Larry Bates

PaulS said:
Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
would be appreciated. thanks, paul
You will need webserver running (Apache?) on Linux server that shows a page that
has a link to the pdf file that you created.

Alternatively you can use SimpleHTTPServer module or Twisted to make a more
stripped down webserver but it is probably easier just to use Apache.

You didn't say if the Linux server was local or not. If local, you could use
SAMBA to create a SMB share and have the XP PC get to it that way. There are
other ways, but these should get you started.

-Larry

kyosohma

Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Some ideas, none tested:

1) Use Python to download the document and from the Windows box, do an
os.startfile(path)
2) Use a Python web framework (such as Turbogears, Pylons or Django)
to display the pdf in the browser if acrobat is installed
3) If the pdf is only accessible from a machine on your local network,
than you can do #1 without downloading it if you have samba running.
I've opened PDFs on our Debian boxes like this:
os.startfile(r'\\server\path\to\pdf')

HTH

Mike

PaulS

PaulS said:
Connecting to a Linux server from XP pc using a telnet program, I run a
report and convert it to a pdf document(using Reportlab) which I need to
display. The pdf is on the Linux server. Ideas how to display to the pc
would be appreciated. thanks, paul

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look at twisted first.
paul