Help!! Dynamic Textbox, validation requiredFieldValidator

Christina

Hello !!

I am creating a dynamic textbox and want to validate it using the
requiredfieldvalidator.

These are the steps which I tried:
1) In Page_load,

Dim Email As New Label
Email.Text = "* Email Address"
placeHolder1.Controls.Add(Email)

Dim txtEmailAddress As New TextBox
placeHolder2.Controls.Add(txtEmailAddress )

2) The HTML has:
<asp:placeHolder ID="placeHolder1" Runat="server"></asp:placeHolder>
<asp:requiredfieldvalidator id="reqFieldVal1" runat="server"
Display="Dynamic" ErrorMessage="Required"
ControlToValidate="txtEmailAddress"></asp:requiredfieldvalidator>

This gives an error message :

Unable to find control id 'txtEmailAddress' referenced by the
'ControlToValidate' property of 'reqFieldVal1'.

I tried the following options, but was unsuccessful:

a) Move requiredFieldValidator inside placeholder. (Googling around,
suggested that the validator and control should be in the same
container)

b) Tried to create requiredFieldValidator dynamically and add it in the
same placeholder (ie placeHolder1)

Any pointers will be appreciated !!

TIA..

RSH

Christina,

You have to set the ID property of the textbox. You are creating a textbox
object and then referring to it in code but from the perspective of the form
it has no ID so .Net is making and ID up which doesn't align with the name
you have given it.

Dim txtEmailAddress As New TextBox

txtEmailAddress.ID = "txtEmailAddress" <---- Add this

PlaceHolder2.Controls.Add(txtEmailAddress)

Dim ReqFieldVal As New RequiredFieldValidator

ReqFieldVal.ControlToValidate = "txtEmailAddress"

ReqFieldVal.ErrorMessage = "Required"

PlaceHolder2.Controls.Add(ReqFieldVal)

HTH,

Ron