help - fixed position of things

Disco Octopus

Hi,

I have stolen (shshsh, don tell) some code from a web site and I would like
to make some changes to suit my current thought path.

this is the page that I am building based on the fixing position of a
sidebar and a top bar within the page.

http://mycoolfish.com/t/emulate_frames.html

I am having some problems with getting the layout just right for some
browsers.

These are what they look like in these browsers...

ie 5.5 - http://mycoolfish.com/t/ie55.gif 47k

firbird 0.7 - http://mycoolfish.com/t/firebird07.gif 30k
mozilla 1.5 - http://mycoolfish.com/t/mozilla15.gif 46k
opera 7.23 - http://mycoolfish.com/t/oper723.gif 75k

any suggestions on how to get them to look/behave the same (or similar) as
ie55?

also, in ie5.5 you will see that the 'contents' have a horizontal scroll
bar. why?

Thanks

rf

Disco Octopus said:
Hi,

I have stolen (shshsh, don tell) some code from a web site and I would
like

You stole a frames based page?

Oh my.

Well, you get exactly what you pay for I suppose.

Cheers
Richard.

Disco Octopus

Mark said:
You lazy thing, did you actually look at the page in question? The OP
is using the code from http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/vertical.html
to emulate frames, not actually using frames. Not that it is really
all that much better.

correctamundo! It is not really that much better. Only that it will not
lose the page/visitor/searchengine in frame. And whether I like it or not,
if I have a client that wants there layout like that, then I have the choice
to tell them it sucks and then build it like that anyway, or let them take
their business elsewhere. This is why I am trying to emulate frames. That
is what the customer (with the money) wants.

rf

Mark Parnell said:
You lazy thing,

Sucked Right In.
did you actually look at the page in question?

Yes I did! I saw scroll bars all over the place.

Then I glanced at the url and saw 'frames' as the last word. Missed the bit
about emulation.

Naturally assumed frames. My bad :-(
The OP is
using the code from http://devnull.tagsoup.com/fixed/vertical.html to
emulate frames, not actually using frames. Not that it is really all
that much better.

All of the usability problems (multiple scroll bars) without the operational
problems (bookmarking etc).

Still don't like it. Still won't look at it again :)

Cheers
Richard.