Help! fonts render differently on different servers

Discussion in 'Java' started by pinhead, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. pinhead

    pinhead Guest

    I have a custom java app that I invoke from ColdFusion that builds
    graphics dynamically. It has to be very specific on font sizing and
    text layout inside a EPS doc. The problem I am having is that I
    installed fonts in the /jre/lib/fonts directory on all my servers
    (dev/qa/prod) which appear to load and work, or at least call the
    correct font face. However the fonts render differently once I move
    the files from my development server to my qa/production servers.
    Almost as if the fractional metrics work on one server but not the
    other, also one is slightly bolder then teh other. I have three font
    files representing normal, bold and oblique of a customized font. It
    seems as though one server draws the font slightly bolder with the same
    fonts and code base. I am at a loss trying to find what may be
    different in the configurations between the servers. Note I have not
    added entries to thefont.properties but as I understand it is not
    entirely necessary.

    The jvm.config is set as such:
    java.args=-server -DJINTEGRA_NATIVE_MODE -DJINTEGRA_PREFETCH_ENUMS
    -Xbootclasspath/a:{application.home}/lib/webchartsJava2D.jar
    -Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmn512m -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m
    -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -XX:MaxPermSize=384m -XX:+UseParallelGC
    -XX:+AggressiveHeap
    -Djavax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory=com.macromedia.crimson.jaxp.SAXParserF­actoryImpl

    -Djavax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory=com.macromedia.crimson.jaxp.Docu­mentBuilderFactoryImpl

    -Djava.awt.fonts=/raid/coldfusion/runtime/jre/lib/fonts

    I have changed it to run in headless mode on a redhat install (Linux
    2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp) (Is this possibly a X11 config issue?)
    ColdfusionMX 6.1.0.83762, JVM - 1.4.2-b28 I have tried PJA etc which
    failed my needs in certain instances with CF. Everything works great
    except for the font rendering. Also, I am using
    fraction metrics for fonts (which does not seem to work at all) as I
    have to have fractional font sizes ie) 5.7pt.

    Any hints as to what may be different between the systems would be
    really appreciated.

    Thank you,
    pinhead, Oct 15, 2005