help for a function (i think easy) in javascript

yoyoyo

hi everybody!
i'm trying to learn javascript in order to build a function that i need
to put in my website..
since i have not so much time to do that i decided to ask to u in the
net..probably for u is very easy to tell me how i have
to do (and maybe someone of u also has the code..it would be great!)

the function i need is the following:
i have a tree with one or more root folders; each of those folders can
contain another folder, which can contain both folder
and document.
The function wants as argument the name of a folder or a document in
order then to show the branches of the tree that contain
the document or folder, leaving all the other branches closed..

it should be something like this:
-the full tree:
a-1
-2
b-3-8
-9
-10
-4
-5
c-6
-7
-8

When i give as argument the number "10" i want to show only
b-3-8
-9
-10
-4
-5

i hope to have been clear enough!
thank u so much!
teo

Evertjan.

yoyoyo wrote on 24 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
i'm trying to learn javascript in order to build a function that i need
to put in my website..
since i have not so much time to do that i decided to ask to u in the
net..probably for u is very easy to tell me how i have
to do (and maybe someone of u also has the code..it would be great!)

This is strange. If you don't have the time to do it yourself, please hire
someone to do it for you. This is not a payed helpdesk.

If however you try it yourself and get into problems with the code,
surely someone on this NG will be able to help you.

Then show us the part of the code you have trouble with, and state your
requirements more clearly than you just did. If you want to access folders
from clientside javascript in a browser on internet, that will not be
possible due to security restrictions.

yoyoyo

hey, wait..
i've not asked for someone to do that for me..since i have not so much
time to do that function i asked if someone could tell me the way to do
that and maybe (but just if someone has already done it for other
reasons) to send me the code..
i decided to write here my problem cause i think in the web there's
plenty of guys that have already worked with javascript..it can be very
helpful in order to save time..sure i could do that function in some
days, i don't think it's so complicated..but first i would need to
learn javascript, and that's not my gol..

i understand your answer,
i've just tried to ask it..if u cannot help me, no problem..
thank u anyway for your reply,
have fun
teo

Evertjan.

yoyoyo wrote on 24 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
i've not asked for someone to do that for me

If you do not quote, how are we to know where you are talking about?

This is usenet, not email.
but first i would need to
learn javascript, and that's not my gol..

Hire a programmer.

yoyoyo

i'm using google group, where u can see both the question and the
reply..
just forget about my post ok?
if u don't want to help me, i told u, no problem.. in this world u r
not the only one..

Evertjan.

yoyoyo wrote on 24 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
i'm using google group, where u can see both the question and the
reply..
just forget about my post ok?
if u don't want to help me, i told u, no problem.. in this world u r
not the only one..

It is not about me, but about using usenet.

Google groups is only an entry possiblility to usenet, and most people read
the usenet by dedicated new readers.

Please accomodate those by adhering to the usenet Netiquette.
Read about it on the web.

yoyoyo

ok, i'll use the replay function, so everybody will understand..
can i ask u if u know a website where all the javascript functions are
explained? something like this website (but in english..this one is
only in german):
http://de.selfhtml.org/navigation/quickbar/index.htm
in the first box at the top click on javascript and then in the box
that appear just choose one function.. i would like to find something
like that in english..
can u help me?
thanks

Evertjan. ha scritto:

Evertjan.

yoyoyo wrote on 24 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
Evertjan. ha scritto:

[topposting corrected]
ok, i'll use the replay function, so everybody will understand..
can i ask u if u know a website where all the javascript functions are
explained? something like this website (but in english..this one is
only in german):
http://de.selfhtml.org/navigation/quickbar/index.htm

That is not primarily about javascript, I think.
in the first box at the top click on javascript and then in the box
that appear just choose one function.. i would like to find something
like that in english..

Read:

The faq of this NG:
<http://jibbering.com/faq/>

tutorials:
<http://www.google.com/search?q=tutorial+javascript>

more faqs of javascript:
<http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm>

Lee

yoyoyo said:
hey, wait..
i've not asked for someone to do that for me..since i have not so much
time to do that function i asked if someone could tell me the way to do
that and maybe (but just if someone has already done it for other
reasons) to send me the code..

Since you don't know Javascript, it's not really possible to just
"tell you the way" to do something like that without writing the
program for you, is it?

Since you're asking for help, and presumably not trying to annoy
people, please type full words, rather than "u" for "you", and
follow standard capitalization standards.

yoyoyo

Lee ha scritto:
yoyoyo said:

Since you don't know Javascript, it's not really possible to just
"tell you the way" to do something like that without writing the
program for you, is it?

Since you're asking for help, and presumably not trying to annoy
people, please type full words, rather than "u" for "you", and
follow standard capitalization standards.

hey, i told u that i don't know javascript and that i just want to
learn how to do this function..if someone gave me an idea about how to
do it i would do it more quickly for sure! i just don't want to read an
whole tutorial for just discover later that i could read just 3 or 4
pages!
it's the first time that i see people waste time to tell me that i
shouldn't ask for help instead to "waste" it trying to help me..

and about the u instead of you, i just do what i feel like doing..i'm
used to do that i'm not gonna change it just because your post!
have fun
teo

Evertjan.

yoyoyo wrote on 24 okt 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
hey, i told u that i don't know javascript and that i just want to
learn how to do this function..if someone gave me an idea about how to
do it i would do it more quickly for sure! i just don't want to read an
whole tutorial for just discover later that i could read just 3 or 4
pages!

You couldn't discover that, since, as we told you, it does not work that
way. You will have to learn javascript to program in it, or have someone do
the programming for you. And the latter usually is not a free gift.
it's the first time that i see people waste time to tell me that i
shouldn't ask for help instead to "waste" it trying to help me..

You must be a lucky guy,
while asking for help and not listening to the help that is offered,
and knowing exactly what answers you want,
never yet having been shown otherwise before.

There must be a first time for everything.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>
, dated Mon, 24 Oct 2005 05:32:08, seen in
yoyoyo said:
i'm using google group, where u can see both the question and the
reply..
just forget about my post ok?
if u don't want to help me, i told u, no problem.. in this world u r
not the only one..

If you write in English, with capital letters and only appropriate
abbreviations; and if you read the newsgroup FAQ to find out how we like
posts to be formatted, and use "Slow Options" then "Reply", then we
might well take a real interest in your problem.

Here we by default deal with Web javascript, and microsoft.something
deals more with WSH javascript.

Lee

yoyoyo said:
Lee ha scritto:

hey, i told u that i don't know javascript and that i just want to
learn how to do this function..if someone gave me an idea about how to
do it i would do it more quickly for sure!

Nonsense. If you don't know javascript, just giving you an idea of
how to do it isn't going to help you at all. I don't speak Italian.
Do you suppose that somebody just "giving me an idea" of how to
write an Italian opera is going to do me any good?
and about the u instead of you, i just do what i feel like doing..i'm
used to do that i'm not gonna change it just because your post!

That's your decision of course. Just be aware that many people will
ignore your questions if they don't like the way they're written.
We just do what we feel like doing, too.

yoyoyo

Lee ha scritto:
yoyoyo said:

Nonsense. If you don't know javascript, just giving you an idea of
how to do it isn't going to help you at all. I don't speak Italian.
Do you suppose that somebody just "giving me an idea" of how to
write an Italian opera is going to do me any good?

That's your decision of course. Just be aware that many people will
ignore your questions if they don't like the way they're written.
We just do what we feel like doing, too.

ok, ok, guys..
shiiit! i didn't want to offend anybody..i was just looking for some
help..really, i cannot understand all the things u r telling
me..sometimes it happened that i helped guys that just wrote to receive
help without having tried to really solve it..just cause i knew how to
do it!

i told u! let's forget my post, if u don't like how i wrote it..

but don't tell me about "italian opera" or stupid things like
that..cause it doesn't make sense at all!

have fun, guys!
teo