    system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
    transition with Python?
    Thank you very much
    Jean-Louis Nespoulous, Nov 22, 2004

  2. > I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
    > Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
    > PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use? Someone could help me
    > and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL. My
    > system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
    > transition with Python?

    You can't use zodb from java. And if your system is developed in java, where
    comes python into the equation at all? In the form of jython? While that
    surely would be a good choice for ease of programming, it also won't allow
    you to access zodb.

    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch
    Diez B. Roggisch, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Am Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:39 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:

    > Hello everybody,
    > I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
    > Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
    > PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use?

    > Someone could help me
    > and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL?

    PostgreSQL is a relational database. You store data in tables which
    have columns and rows. You access it with SQL. PostgreSQL supports
    inheritance, but you still need some mapping between your objects and the
    database. You can access postgres with any programming language.

    > My system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
    > transition with Python?

    If you use Java, you can't use ZODB.

    ZODB stores pickled (serialized) objects.
    Here you don't need a mapping between objects and database.
    SQL makes no sense with ZODB. The query language is python.

    HTH,
    Thomas
    Thomas Guettler, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Thanks, but I'll use ZODB as server and I'll get and retreive objet
    from a distance client using XML-RPC, do you think it's possible
    easily?
    Jean-Louis

    Jean-Louis Nespoulous, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Am Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:53:17 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:

    > Thanks, but I'll use ZODB as server and I'll get and retreive objet
    > from a distance client using XML-RPC, do you think it's possible
    > easily?
    > Jean-Louis

    If you want XML-RPC, you need some http server.
    This means you need quixote or something similar.

    You can look at the Publisher of Dulcinea. It does
    retry a request if you get a conflict error.

    I recommend you to just take the start_request of Dulcinea
    and write a small quixote Publisher yourself.

    Then return XML which is valid according to the xml-rpc spec.

    HTH,
    Thomas
    Thomas Guettler, Nov 23, 2004