Help for HTML Newbie

Toronto Newf

I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do not do
a lot with web design. I have a few questions.

How do I make sure that a site is going to work in most reloutions. Ie 800
by 600 and 1024 by 768 etc. Will Nested Tables do this?

Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here

http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

Thanks very much

Rob

Mark Parnell

How do I make sure that a site is going to work in most reloutions. Ie 800
by 600 and 1024 by 768 etc.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

Will Nested Tables do this?

No. Or yes. Depends how you do them. But don't. :)
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts
Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

In your CSS file, put

body {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

rf

Toronto Newf
I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do not do
a lot with web design. I have a few questions.

How do I make sure that a site is going to work in most reloutions. Ie 800
by 600 and 1024 by 768 etc.
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

Will Nested Tables do this?

The consensus these days is to use CSS. If you are learning HTML it's not
that much more to learn CSS at the same time.
Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

CSS:
body {margin: 0
If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here

http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

Don't use pictures of text, use real text.

If you do use pictures, use the alt attribute to supply alternative text.

Use CSS to achieve rollovers, not javascript.

This is what it currently looks like to a search engine:

[top%20banner]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_03]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_07]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_09]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_12]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
[Nav-Page-Orginal_14]

Sam Hughes

I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do
not do a lot with web design. I have a few questions.

How do I make sure that a site is going to work in most reloutions.
Ie 800 by 600 and 1024 by 768 etc. Will Nested Tables do this?

You should want the site to work in all resolutions. And what does
resolution have to do with browser window size? What does that have to
do with viewport size?
Also is there any way I can have my images close to edge and top where
there is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in
there.

If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here

http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

Put alt attributes on your images. You could make it look a lot better
even with textual links in the menu. Most well-done sites use linked
text, not images, in their menues anyway (i.e. Google). You seem to be
doing quite well at making the process as difficult as possible.

Those mean criticisms aside, if you marked up your content structurally
and logically, and then used CSS to affect the style, you'd in the end
have a much better result.

Images should have alt attributes!

One nice feature of your design, I noticed, is that your menu has HUGE
buttons (yay Fitt's law!). And they are well-separated. I don't usually
see this, and that is a good way to go. However, I have to scroll down
to see the bottom of the menu, which is kind of unbelievable considering
you have only five menu items.

I noticed that you set the background and text colors but didn't touch
the link colors. If you change one of the colors, you have to change
them ALL.

Learn CSS. Learn CSS. Learn CSS. Yeah maybe learning CSS is not worth
the effort. But it is simpler and better than presentational HTML and
tables used for layout.

Sam Hughes

Here is the only other site I have ever done if you care to take a
look

http://www.deepatlanticsea.com/

Bottom-posting and quoting only the relevant material is always advised in
this group :)

That seems well-made for the user, although looking at the code, I don't
understand this:

Why try to set the height?

Webcastmaker

I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do not do
a lot with web design. I have a few questions.

Does anyone ever google the group before asking? It would actually
be less typing and you don't have to wait for an answer.

All these questions have been asked and answered this week.

Sid Ismail

: Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
: is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

Sid

Uncle Pirate

Toronto said:
Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here

http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

I'm not sure what white space you're referring too. I obviously see
(don't see) the same thing you do. With just the brief look at your
source, I see lot's of javascript functions. I never saw anything
generated by those functions because I'm one of those that don't use
javascript much. I'm guessing that if I had javascript on, your page
would have some content?

--
Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681