    http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

    Thanks very much

    Rob
    Toronto Newf, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Toronto Newf

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 23:29:22 GMT, Toronto Newf <>
    declared in alt.html:

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > Will Nested Tables do this?

    No. Or yes. Depends how you do them. But don't. :)
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    > Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
    > is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

    In your CSS file, put

    body {margin: 0; padding: 0;}

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Toronto Newf

    rf Guest

    Toronto Newf

    > I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do not

    do

    http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > Will Nested Tables do this?

    The consensus these days is to use CSS. If you are learning HTML it's not
    that much more to learn CSS at the same time.

    > Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where

    there
    > is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

    CSS:
    body {margin: 0

    > If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here
    >
    > http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

    Don't use pictures of text, use real text.

    If you do use pictures, use the alt attribute to supply alternative text.

    Use CSS to achieve rollovers, not javascript.

    This is what it currently looks like to a search engine:

    [top%20banner]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_03]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_07]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_09]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_12]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_10]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_05-Nav-Pag]
    [Nav-Page-Orginal_14]

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Toronto Newf

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Toronto Newf" <> wrote in

    > I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do
    > not do a lot with web design. I have a few questions.
    >
    > How do I make sure that a site is going to work in most reloutions.
    > Ie 800 by 600 and 1024 by 768 etc. Will Nested Tables do this?

    You should want the site to work in all resolutions. And what does
    resolution have to do with browser window size? What does that have to
    do with viewport size?

    > Also is there any way I can have my images close to edge and top where
    > there is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in
    > there.
    >
    > If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here
    >
    > http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

    Put alt attributes on your images. You could make it look a lot better
    even with textual links in the menu. Most well-done sites use linked
    text, not images, in their menues anyway (i.e. Google). You seem to be
    doing quite well at making the process as difficult as possible.

    Those mean criticisms aside, if you marked up your content structurally
    and logically, and then used CSS to affect the style, you'd in the end
    have a much better result.

    Images should have alt attributes!

    One nice feature of your design, I noticed, is that your menu has HUGE
    buttons (yay Fitt's law!). And they are well-separated. I don't usually
    see this, and that is a good way to go. However, I have to scroll down
    to see the bottom of the menu, which is kind of unbelievable considering
    you have only five menu items.

    I noticed that you set the background and text colors but didn't touch
    the link colors. If you change one of the colors, you have to change
    them ALL.

    Learn CSS. Learn CSS. Learn CSS. Yeah maybe learning CSS is not worth
    the effort. But it is simpler and better than presentational HTML and
    tables used for layout.

    --
    Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
    the others are remembered and avoided forever.
    Sam Hughes, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Toronto Newf

    Toronto Newf Guest

    Thanks guys, I am going to learn css sometime for sure.

    Toronto Newf, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Toronto Newf

    Toronto Newf Guest

    Here is the only other site I have ever done if you care to take a look

    http://www.deepatlanticsea.com/

    Toronto Newf, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Toronto Newf

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "Toronto Newf" <> wrote in

    > Here is the only other site I have ever done if you care to take a
    > look
    >
    > http://www.deepatlanticsea.com/

    Bottom-posting and quoting only the relevant material is always advised in
    this group :)

    That seems well-made for the user, although looking at the code, I don't
    understand this:

    Why try to set the height?

    Sam Hughes, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Toronto Newf

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <m7APc.108$>,
    says...
    > I am doing a website for a friend. I am a network type person so do not do
    > a lot with web design. I have a few questions.

    Does anyone ever google the group before asking? It would actually
    be less typing and you don't have to wait for an answer.

    All these questions have been asked and answered this week.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Aug 3, 2004
  9. Toronto Newf

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:m7APc.108$>
    Toronto Newf <> said:

    > I am doing a website for a friend.

    i know

    What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

    --
    i h e a r v o i c e s
    brucie, Aug 3, 2004
  10. Toronto Newf

    Sid Ismail Guest

    wrote:

    : Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
    : is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.

    Sid
    Sid Ismail, Aug 3, 2004
  11. Toronto Newf

    Uncle Pirate Guest

    Toronto Newf wrote:

    > Also is there anyway I can have my images close to edge and top where there
    > is no white space. or should I put some kind of background in there.
    >
    > If anyone has a chance and can help the site is here
    >
    > http://mytestingpage.50megs.com

    I'm not sure what white space you're referring too. I obviously see
    (don't see) the same thing you do. With just the brief look at your
    source, I see lot's of javascript functions. I never saw anything
    generated by those functions because I'm one of those that don't use
    javascript much. I'm guessing that if I had javascript on, your page
    would have some content?

    --
    Stan McCann "Uncle Pirate"
    Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM AMA#758681
    Uncle Pirate, Aug 5, 2004