Help for primitive Graphics in Debian Linux C++

souvik1982

Hi everyone!

I need to be able to plot the output of my cellular automata onto the
pixels of my screen and refresh in real time.

I used to program in Borland C++ on a Windows machine, but currently I
need to run it with a Debian Linux gcc / c++ compiler. The main part of
the code remains practically the same. All I need to do is modify the
graphical output to suit Debian Linux. I believe I need to use the
GTKmm library, but have no idea how to use it -- and am getting
terribly confused by the documentation that presents hundreds of lines
of code to just draw a line or two on the screen.

I just need to draw and refresh pixels on the screen! With the
shortest, clearest possible code. Any pointers anyone?

-Souvik

Victor Bazarov

I need to be able to plot the output of my cellular automata onto the
pixels of my screen and refresh in real time.

There are no means to do that in the Standard C++ language, the only
subject of this newsgroup.
I used to program in Borland C++ on a Windows machine, but currently I
need to run it with a Debian Linux gcc / c++ compiler. [..]
> Any pointers anyone?

Begin with 'comp.os.linux.development.*' hierarchy of newsgroups. Also
check out 'gnu.*' hierarchy. There is also 'comp.graphics.*' hierarchy.

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Stephan_Br=F6nnimann?=

Try Qt from Trolltech, Debian package(s) are available.

Stephan

Sensei

Hi everyone!

I need to be able to plot the output of my cellular automata onto the
pixels of my screen and refresh in real time.

I used to program in Borland C++ on a Windows machine, but currently I
need to run it with a Debian Linux gcc / c++ compiler. The main part of
the code remains practically the same. All I need to do is modify the
graphical output to suit Debian Linux. I believe I need to use the
GTKmm library, but have no idea how to use it -- and am getting
terribly confused by the documentation that presents hundreds of lines
of code to just draw a line or two on the screen.

I just need to draw and refresh pixels on the screen! With the
shortest, clearest possible code. Any pointers anyone?

- OpenGL with GLU and GLUT
- SDL
- Fox Toolkit
- Qt Toolkit
- GTK/GDK & co

Lots, just pick your choice. For your really simple task, I'd go with
SDL, no hassles for windows like qt, fox or gt, easier than OpenGL.