    shortest, clearest possible code. Any pointers anyone?

    -Souvik

    , Jul 15, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I need to be able to plot the output of my cellular automata onto the
    > pixels of my screen and refresh in real time.

    There are no means to do that in the Standard C++ language, the only
    subject of this newsgroup.

    > I used to program in Borland C++ on a Windows machine, but currently I
    > need to run it with a Debian Linux gcc / c++ compiler. [..]
    > Any pointers anyone?

    Begin with 'comp.os.linux.development.*' hierarchy of newsgroups. Also
    check out 'gnu.*' hierarchy. There is also 'comp.graphics.*' hierarchy.

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Re: [OT] Help for primitive Graphics in Debian Linux C++

    Sounds like SDL might work for you.

    http://www.libsdl.org/

    Einar Forselv, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Try Qt from Trolltech, Debian package(s) are available.

    Stephan

    =?iso-8859-1?q?Stephan_Br=F6nnimann?=, Jul 16, 2005
  5. Sensei Guest

    On 2005-07-15 17:40:34 -0500, said:

    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > I need to be able to plot the output of my cellular automata onto the
    > pixels of my screen and refresh in real time.
    >
    > I used to program in Borland C++ on a Windows machine, but currently I
    > need to run it with a Debian Linux gcc / c++ compiler. The main part of
    > the code remains practically the same. All I need to do is modify the
    > graphical output to suit Debian Linux. I believe I need to use the
    > GTKmm library, but have no idea how to use it -- and am getting
    > terribly confused by the documentation that presents hundreds of lines
    > of code to just draw a line or two on the screen.
    >
    > I just need to draw and refresh pixels on the screen! With the
    > shortest, clearest possible code. Any pointers anyone?

    - OpenGL with GLU and GLUT
    - SDL
    - Fox Toolkit
    - Qt Toolkit
    - GTK/GDK & co

    Lots, just pick your choice. For your really simple task, I'd go with
    SDL, no hassles for windows like qt, fox or gt, easier than OpenGL.

    --
    Sensei <>

    cd /pub
    more beer