Help getting file names from directorys on windows.

Harry Nash

I am new to code writting, have to learn Ruby (windows) so I am trying
do some experaments working with files and directories.

This code, (I thinks) creates an array called file. I can do some tricks
to test that, array.empty? and I get back false for each element. I want
to be able to select each element on at a time But all I get is numbers.

Dir.chdir("e:/sourcemp3")
puts Dir.pwd

Dir.foreach(".") do |file|
puts file
end

The code above will list all files in the directory. I need only the
first
file with .mp3 extion. It would be better not to use the .foreach but
what
could I use?

David Mullet

Harry said:
I am new to code writting, have to learn Ruby (windows) so I am trying
do some experaments working with files and directories.

This code, (I thinks) creates an array called file. I can do some tricks
to test that, array.empty? and I get back false for each element. I want
to be able to select each element on at a time But all I get is numbers.

Dir.chdir("e:/sourcemp3")
puts Dir.pwd

Dir.foreach(".") do |file|
puts file
end

The code above will list all files in the directory. I need only the
first
file with .mp3 extion. It would be better not to use the .foreach but
what
could I use?

I usually use the Dir.glob() method in such instances:

puts Dir.glob('*.mp3').first

I hope that helps.

David
http://rubyonwindows.blogspot.com