Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. Hi,
    I have an application which was working fine then all of a sudden my users
    are getting my custom error page. When I check the event log on web Server I
    see

    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 1/31/2007 1:23:08 PM
    Event time (UTC): 1/31/2007 6:23:08 PM
    Event ID: 07e688eeb1614408ad39b600cfd3e3d9
    Event sequence: 8
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

    Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/Root/myapp-1-128147413814374195
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /myapp
    Application Path: D:\Sites\Beta\myapp\
    Machine name: servername

    Process information:
    Process ID: 8860
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    Exception information:
    Exception type: ArgumentNullException
    Exception message: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: value

    Request information:
    Request URL: http://beta/myapp/Default.aspx
    Request path: /myapp/Default.aspx
    User host address: 1.1.1.1
    User: DOMAIN\username
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: Negotiate
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    Thread information:
    Thread ID: 1
    Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at System.Web.Caching.CacheEntry..ctor(String key,
    Object value, CacheDependency dependency, CacheItemRemovedCallback
    onRemovedHandler, DateTime utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration,
    CacheItemPriority priority, Boolean isPublic)
    at System.Web.Caching.CacheInternal.DoInsert(Boolean isPublic, String
    key, Object value, CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime
    utcAbsoluteExpiration, TimeSpan slidingExpiration, CacheItemPriority
    priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback onRemoveCallback, Boolean replace)
    at System.Web.Caching.Cache.Insert(String key, Object value,
    CacheDependency dependencies, DateTime absoluteExpiration, TimeSpan
    slidingExpiration)
    at Controls_Queue.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
    at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()

    Custom event details:

    The default.aspx page has one control on it. This is the entry code for that
    control

    System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

    _list = GetUserLocaations()

    For Each l As String In _list
    drpLocation.Items.Add(l)
    Next

    End Sub

    please assist
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 31, 2007

  2. Chris,
    I'm not sure, but just looking at your code, could it be possible that the
    getLocations method is returning a null value? Or is it returning a dynamic
    list that may get updated seperately (i.e., if it is a list of directories
    and someone else on the network deleted a folder, this could cause a problem).
    Just a few ideas, I would try to step through the code and inspect the list
    for null values.
    Good luck!
    - Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBSYW5k?=, Jan 31, 2007

  3. You are correct. This is the GetUserLocations() function

    Public Function GetUserLocations()

    Dim dr as SqlDatareader = ...

    If dr.HasRows Then
    Dim _list As New Generic.List(Of String)
    While dr.Read
    _list.Add(dr.Item("name"))
    End While
    Return _list
    End If
    Return Nothing

    End Function

    What is the best way to return an empty list?

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Instead of returning Nothing return a new list that does not have any items
    added to it.

    See code below. You can probably also get rid of the test for dr.HasRows.
    I think dr.Read will return false if no rows were returned by the
    sqldatareader.

    Jason Vermillion

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFzb24gVmVybWlsbGlvbg==?=, Jan 31, 2007