    people =)
    Thanks a lot
    Yumi
    Yumex85, Feb 5, 2007

  2. Yumex85

    bugnthecode Guest

    On Feb 5, 9:13 am, "Yumex85" <> wrote:
    > Hello
    > I´m new to Java, and I´d like to get some hints of experienced
    > programmers. Right now I´m studying Head First Java to learn basic
    > concepts of Java. What kind of book should I get next? Of course I´m
    > trying to code myself a lot , not only reading stuff. I´d like to get
    > SCJP certification, and work with Java. Should I get a Eclipse book?
    > JSP? Certification book? There are so many things which im not sure
    > what they exactly are, I´d like to get some advice from experienced
    > people =)
    > Thanks a lot
    > Yumi

    Hi there, and welcome to Java! I'm not exactly an experience
    programmer, but I have read the head first book and it is a good one.
    A book I would recommend reading when you finish that one is "Core
    Java 2 , Volume 2: Advanced Features". Some of the concepts in the
    book may be a little hard to grasp at first, but I have found that
    through my various Java project journeys I return to that book time
    and time again for deeper explanations, or for code examples. As far
    as getting an eclipse book, you can probably wait until you've got
    some more coding under your belt because you'll also want to
    understand build scripts using ant, class hierarchy and packaging(jar
    files) before getting too far into eclipse.

    I'm sure some more experienced developers will chime in as well, but
    that's my 2 cents.
    Hope that helps,
    Will
    bugnthecode, Feb 5, 2007

  3. Yumex85

    John T Guest

    bugnthecode wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 9:13 am, "Yumex85" <> wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I´m new to Java, and I´d like to get some hints of experienced
    >> programmers. Right now I´m studying Head First Java to learn basic
    >> concepts of Java. What kind of book should I get next? Of course I´m
    >> trying to code myself a lot , not only reading stuff. I´d like to get
    >> SCJP certification, and work with Java. Should I get a Eclipse book?
    >> JSP? Certification book? There are so many things which im not sure
    >> what they exactly are, I´d like to get some advice from experienced
    >> people =)
    >> Thanks a lot
    >> Yumi

    > Hi there, and welcome to Java! I'm not exactly an experience
    > programmer, but I have read the head first book and it is a good one.
    > A book I would recommend reading when you finish that one is "Core
    > Java 2 , Volume 2: Advanced Features". Some of the concepts in the
    > book may be a little hard to grasp at first, but I have found that
    > through my various Java project journeys I return to that book time
    > and time again for deeper explanations, or for code examples. As far
    > as getting an eclipse book, you can probably wait until you've got
    > some more coding under your belt because you'll also want to
    > understand build scripts using ant, class hierarchy and packaging(jar
    > files) before getting too far into eclipse.
    >
    > I'm sure some more experienced developers will chime in as well, but
    > that's my 2 cents.
    > Hope that helps,
    > Will

    Thinking In Java by Bruce Eckel is a good book. I also use Java in a
    Nutshell as a reference.

    Once you are ready for really cool stuff, I would suggest Head First
    Object Oriented Design and Analysis and HF Design Patterns. Learn as
    much as you can about design patterns...
    John T, Feb 5, 2007
  4. Yumex85

    Yumex85 Guest

    Thanks, guys! I really appreciate your suggestions! As soon as I
    finish Head First, I will check those books you mentioned!
    Yumex85, Feb 6, 2007