    bu cpan.

    Thanks in advance.

    Amy
    Amy Lee, Oct 17, 2008

  2. Amy Lee <> wrote:

    > I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I don't
    > know how to install it.

    Here is a radical idea: read the file in the distribution named "INSTALL"!

    Or maybe just try the standard way of installing modules:

    perldoc -q module

    How do I install a module from CPAN?

    > Thanks in advance.

    Yeah, right.

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad J McClellan, Oct 17, 2008

  3. Amy Lee

    cartercc Guest

    On Oct 17, 9:09 am, Amy Lee <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I don't
    > know how to install it. I just understand how to install modules packages
    > bu cpan.

    If your BPlite.pm file is source, which it probably is, just place the
    file in the appropriate directory, and use the appropriate 'use'
    directive. As far as I know, a source file saved as a package is just
    like any user defined file saved as a package. You might have other
    problems is your pm file depends on other files, but for now, I'll
    consider those kinds of problems outside the scope of your question.

    CC
    cartercc, Oct 17, 2008
  4. Amy Lee

    Tim Greer Guest

    Amy Lee wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I
    > don't know how to install it. I just understand how to install modules
    > packages bu cpan.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Amy

    The module should have a README and/or INSTALL file. If it doesn't come
    with install instructions, I don't know that I'd suggest using it.
    Tim Greer, Oct 17, 2008
  5. Amy Lee

    Henry Law Guest

    Tad J McClellan wrote:
    > Amy Lee <> wrote:
    >
    >> I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I don't
    >> know how to install it.

    > Here is a radical idea: read the file in the distribution named "INSTALL"!

    And if the distribution doesn't have a file called that? (It doesn't).
    And if the "distribution" isn't a distribution but just a bare Perl
    module file? (It is).

    Amy, I have downloaded the module and had a look at it for you. As far
    as I can see I agree with the suggestion from cartercc: just get the
    module into one of the @INC libraries and then "use" it. Mail me
    directly if you need help with that.

    The module has pod documentation which I presume you found (at a shell
    issue perldoc /wherever/it/is/now/BPLite.pm ) but it only tells you how
    to use it.

    --

    Henry Law Manchester, England
    Henry Law, Oct 17, 2008
  6. Amy Lee

    Tim Greer Guest

    Henry Law wrote:

    > Tad J McClellan wrote:
    >> Amy Lee <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I
    >>> don't know how to install it.

    >> Here is a radical idea: read the file in the distribution named
    >> "INSTALL"!

    > And if the distribution doesn't have a file called that? (It doesn't).
    > And if the "distribution" isn't a distribution but just a bare Perl
    > module file? (It is).

    Isn't this a core module in BioPerl? Not that they couldn't install it
    alone, but BioPerl 1.5.2 and all of the previous versions come with it,
    as well as many other core modules.

    http://search.cpan.org/~sendu/bioperl/

    http://search.cpan.org/src/SENDU/bioperl-1.5.2_102/INSTALL

    Tim Greer, Oct 17, 2008
  7. Amy Lee

    Guest

    On Oct 17, 7:09 am, Amy Lee <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I don't
    > know how to install it. I just understand how to install modules packages
    > bu cpan.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Amy

    from shell you can type:
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
    then type install module
    for eaxmple: install
    cpan> install Net::packet

    Cheers
    , Oct 17, 2008
  8. Tim Greer <> wrote:
    > Henry Law wrote:
    >
    >> Tad J McClellan wrote:

    >>> Here is a radical idea: read the file in the distribution named
    >>> "INSTALL"!

    >> And if the distribution doesn't have a file called that? (It doesn't).
    >> And if the "distribution" isn't a distribution but just a bare Perl
    >> module file? (It is).
    >>

    > Isn't this a core module in BioPerl?

    That is what I downloaded before replying, so that I could
    ensure that it did have an "INSTALL" file.

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad J McClellan, Oct 18, 2008
  9. Amy Lee

    Amy Lee Guest

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:09:05 -0500, Tad J McClellan wrote:

    > Tim Greer <> wrote:
    >> Henry Law wrote:

    >>> And if the distribution doesn't have a file called that? (It doesn't).
    >>> And if the "distribution" isn't a distribution but just a bare Perl
    >>> module file? (It is).
    >>>

    >> Isn't this a core module in BioPerl?

    > That is what I downloaded before replying, so that I could
    > ensure that it did have an "INSTALL" file.

    Hi, thanks every one. I copy this module into
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 this directory then use this module
    correctly.

    Anyway, how can I know @INC contents?

    Amy
    Amy Lee, Oct 18, 2008
  10. Tad J McClellan wrote:
    > Amy Lee <> wrote:
    >
    >> I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I
    >> don't know how to install it.

    > Or maybe just try the standard way of installing modules:
    >
    > perldoc -q module
    >
    > How do I install a module from CPAN?

    Maybe will be good to add to FAQ some like:
    "How do I install module to hosting server where it is not allowed?"
    :)

    --
    Petr Vileta, Czech republic
    (My server rejects all messages from Yahoo and Hotmail.
    Petr Vileta \(fidokomik\), Oct 18, 2008
  11. Amy Lee <> wrote:

    >Anyway, how can I know @INC contents?

    What about just print()ing it?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Oct 18, 2008
  12. Petr Vileta (fidokomik) <> wrote:
    > Tad J McClellan wrote:
    >> Amy Lee <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I download a module for BLAST parsing called "BPlite.pm", however I
    >>> don't know how to install it.

    >> Or maybe just try the standard way of installing modules:
    >>
    >> perldoc -q module
    >>
    >> How do I install a module from CPAN?
    >>

    > Maybe will be good to add to FAQ some like:
    > "How do I install module to hosting server where it is not allowed?"

    There is one:

    How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    --
    Tad McClellan
    Tad J McClellan, Oct 18, 2008
  13. On 2008-10-18, Amy Lee <> wrote:
    *SKIP*
    > Hi, thanks every one. I copy this module into
    > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 this directory then use this module
    > correctly.

    At first I wanted to bark "don't! there're better places!". But then,
    just wondering, what's your distribution? Never mind, please upgrade.

    > Anyway, how can I know @INC contents?

    C<perl -V> -- then look at last lines

    Eric Pozharski, Oct 18, 2008
  14. Tad J McClellan wrote:
    > Petr Vileta (fidokomik) <> wrote:
    >> Maybe will be good to add to FAQ some like:
    >> "How do I install module to hosting server where it is not allowed?"

    > There is one:
    >
    > How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    Oh sorry, I made a mistake.
    Petr Vileta \(fidokomik\), Oct 19, 2008
  15. Amy Lee

    Hans Mulder Guest

    Amy Lee wrote:

    > Anyway, how can I know @INC contents?

    One technique is to type on the command line:

    perl -Mxxxxx -e0

    Perl will tell you that it cannot find a module named xxxxx in @INC;
    it will also tell you the contents of @INC.

    Hope this helps,

    -- HansM
    Hans Mulder, Oct 21, 2008
  16. Hans Mulder <> writes:

    > Amy Lee wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, how can I know @INC contents?

    > One technique is to type on the command line:
    >
    > perl -Mxxxxx -e0
    >
    > Perl will tell you that it cannot find a module named xxxxx in @INC;
    > it will also tell you the contents of @INC.

    I really prefer