Help...I feel Obfuscated, but I need to decompile something..

chris kramer

If I am running a signed applet on my machine such as Marketcaster by
Etrade,
how hard would it be to get data out of the running app and into
another program? According to many it is easy to decompile Java. My
experience is mostly with C++, but I have a basic understanding of
Java and desire to learn.
Can one just locate the classes in memory, decompile, find the
variables of interest and latch onto them via some class communicating
method?
Any suggested literature/apps for doing this?
Thanks,
Chris

Andrew Thompson

If I am running a signed applet on my machine such as Marketcaster by
Etrade,

If that is the case, you will probably find
you are subject to a user agreement for the
use of the service/software, as might be expressed in..
<https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/help?id=201110000&traxui=F_FN#etbrokserv>

Part 5(f) of which states (in part)..
"..I agree not to use (or allow another person to use)
any software, program, application or other device,
directly or indirectly, to access or obtain information
through the Service or to automate the process of
accessing or obtaining such information."

So, simple answer, you're not allowed to.

chris kramer

Andrew Thompson said:
Part 5(f) of which states (in part)..
"..I agree not to use (or allow another person to use)
any software, program, application or other device,
directly or indirectly, to access or obtain information
through the Service or to automate the process of
accessing or obtaining such information."

So, simple answer, you're not allowed to.

Thanks Andrew, I had thought of that and looked it up also.
There is at least one commercially available system that is using that
same stream. Maybe they have special permission? Personally, if there
is data anywhere in the memory of my PC, I consider it mine. So back
to the question...
would anyone know how to get the values from this applet?

marcus

Wow -- You own Windows and Norton and Adobe and all that stuff? cool!
Can I buy copies from you?

Karl von Laudermann

Andrew Thompson said:
If that is the case, you will probably find
you are subject to a user agreement for the
use of the service/software, as might be expressed in..
<https://us.etrade.com/e/t/estation/help?id=201110000&traxui=F_FN#etbrokserv>

Part 5(f) of which states (in part)..
"..I agree not to use (or allow another person to use)
any software, program, application or other device,
directly or indirectly, to access or obtain information
through the Service or to automate the process of
accessing or obtaining such information."

So, simple answer, you're not allowed to.

Of course not. According to this paragraph, he's not allowed to run
the Marketcaster software at all. Which is why I have trouble taking
EULAs seriously.

chris kramer

"..I agree not to use (or allow another person to use)
Of course not. According to this paragraph, he's not allowed to run
the Marketcaster software at all. Which is why I have trouble taking
EULAs seriously.

LOL. Why thanks Karl, some actual support.. I'm not trying to do
anything bad, or even alter a program, just get some data that I am
being given.
Ok, maybe my statement was too broad, I feel entitled to the 'data' in
memory and the not the functions or copywrited elements therein. (hey
i used to work in software till all the jobs left this
country/citizenry, god forbid i mess with their incomes.)