    start. Besides that i have noone that helps me. Well that's all. Thanks
    for reading this.

    Bye Jose

    Jose, Jan 13, 2005

  2. On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    > ...I have to ..

    Why? For school/college? For work?

    >..write an applet ..

    Get ready for a very steep learning curve. You should do command
    line applications, then GUI'd applications, *then* applets.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#appfirst>

    >..for testing the internet connection speed (upload, download and latency)

    It will end up being mostly lies.

    It is very difficult to estimate in any reliable way the
    bandwidth throughput from moment to moment.

    The 'site design' gurus recommend the following tried and
    tested solution.

    View the <a a href='tiny.media'>small</a> or

    > and i've also been asked that it must be very graphical, with graphs
    > and sort of meter (like clock) controls.

    Very cute, yes.

    >The problem is that i have to
    > start from complete scratch (without anything),

    What a load of rubbish. To be able to access internet implies
    that you are better off than a lot of people in the world.

    That sort of attitude will either attract derisive comments as above,
    or cause people generally to avoid your posts. Acting pathetic (largely)
    does not work for you on most of the Java technical groups.

    >..so It would be great if
    > you could recommend me some pages with help, cause i don't where to
    > start.

    OK, that is showing some positive attitude.

    There is a better group for beginners, more here..

    Here some documents that are aimed at tips to get your started..
    <http://home.earthlink.net/~patricia_shanahan/beginner.html>
    <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html>

    This is a Java FAQ that references both those and has lots
    of mention of applets, read it in its entirety.
    <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp>

    >..Besides that i have noone that helps me.

    ....hmmmm.

    If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    be able to assist further.

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 14, 2005

  3. Jose

    Virgil Green Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    <snip>

    >> The problem is that i have to
    >> start from complete scratch (without anything),

    > What a load of rubbish. To be able to access internet implies
    > that you are better off than a lot of people in the world.
    >
    > That sort of attitude will either attract derisive comments as above,
    > or cause people generally to avoid your posts. Acting pathetic
    > (largely) does not work for you on most of the Java technical groups.

    That was uncalled for. I expect that "start from scratch" merely meant he
    had none of the needed components currently implemented or was unfamiliar
    with what might be needed... which I believe was indicated by this next
    comment....

    >> ..so It would be great if
    >> you could recommend me some pages with help, cause i don't where to
    >> start.

    > OK, that is showing some positive attitude.
    >
    > There is a better group for beginners, more here..
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >
    > Here some documents that are aimed at tips to get your started..
    > <http://home.earthlink.net/~patricia_shanahan/beginner.html>
    > <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html>
    >
    > This is a Java FAQ that references both those and has lots
    > of mention of applets, read it in its entirety.
    > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp>
    >
    >> ..Besides that i have noone that helps me.

    > ...hmmmm.
    >
    > If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    > effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    > be able to assist further.

    Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just working
    alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to help.

    So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Jan 14, 2005
  4. Jose

    Ann Guest

    "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> The problem is that i have to
    > >> start from complete scratch (without anything),

    > > What a load of rubbish. To be able to access internet implies
    > > that you are better off than a lot of people in the world.
    > >
    > > That sort of attitude will either attract derisive comments as above,
    > > or cause people generally to avoid your posts. Acting pathetic
    > > (largely) does not work for you on most of the Java technical groups.

    > That was uncalled for. I expect that "start from scratch" merely meant he
    > had none of the needed components currently implemented or was unfamiliar
    > with what might be needed... which I believe was indicated by this next
    > comment....
    >

    > >> ..so It would be great if
    > >> you could recommend me some pages with help, cause i don't where to
    > >> start.

    > > OK, that is showing some positive attitude.
    > >
    > > There is a better group for beginners, more here..
    > > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    > >
    > > Here some documents that are aimed at tips to get your started..
    > > <http://home.earthlink.net/~patricia_shanahan/beginner.html>
    > > <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html>
    > >
    > > This is a Java FAQ that references both those and has lots
    > > of mention of applets, read it in its entirety.
    > > <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp>
    > >
    > >> ..Besides that i have noone that helps me.

    > > ...hmmmm.
    > >
    > > If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    > > effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    > > be able to assist further.

    > Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just working
    > alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to help.
    >
    > So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    What, you got no compassion?

    pathetic (American Heritage)
    1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion.

    Ann, Jan 14, 2005
  5. Jose

    Virgil Green Guest

    Ann wrote:
    > "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> What a load of rubbish. To be able to access internet implies
    >>> that you are better off than a lot of people in the world.
    >>>
    >>> That sort of attitude will either attract derisive comments as
    >>> above, or cause people generally to avoid your posts. Acting
    >>> pathetic (largely) does not work for you on most of the Java
    >>> technical groups.

    >> That was uncalled for. I expect that "start from scratch" merely
    >> meant he had none of the needed components currently implemented or
    >> was unfamiliar with what might be needed... which I believe was
    >> indicated by this next comment....

    >>> OK, that is showing some positive attitude.
    >>>
    >>> There is a better group for beginners, more here..
    >>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#cljh>
    >>>
    >>> Here some documents that are aimed at tips to get your started..
    >>> <http://home.earthlink.net/~patricia_shanahan/beginner.html>
    >>> <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/homework.html>
    >>>
    >>> This is a Java FAQ that references both those and has lots
    >>> of mention of applets, read it in its entirety.
    >>> <http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp>

    >>> ...hmmmm.
    >>>
    >>> If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    >>> effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    >>> be able to assist further.

    >> Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just
    >> working alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to
    >> help.
    >>
    >> So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    > What, you got no compassion?
    >
    > pathetic (American Heritage)
    > 1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion.

    I don't think that was the definition being applied in this case. Me thinks
    the intent was more pejorative in nature. I didn't see any compassion being
    aroused in the poster who used the term.

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Jose

    > Ann wrote:
    > > "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message
    > >> <snip>

    > >> That was uncalled for. I expect that "start from scratch" merely
    > >> meant he had none of the needed components currently implemented or
    > >> was unfamiliar with what might be needed... which I believe was
    > >> indicated by this next comment....

    > >> Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just
    > >> working alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to
    > >> help.
    > >>
    > >> So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    > > What, you got no compassion?
    > >
    > > pathetic (American Heritage)
    > > 1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion.
    > >

    > I don't think that was the definition being applied in this case. Me

    thinks
    > the intent was more pejorative in nature. I didn't see any compassion

    being
    > aroused in the poster who used the term.

    Just kidding around.

    Ann, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Jose

    Virgil Green Guest

    Ann wrote:
    > "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message
    >> Ann wrote:
    >>> "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message

    >>> What, you got no compassion?
    >>>
    >>> pathetic (American Heritage)
    >>> 1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and
    >>> compassion.
    >>>

    >> I don't think that was the definition being applied in this case. Me
    >> thinks the intent was more pejorative in nature. I didn't see any
    >> compassion being aroused in the poster who used the term.
    >>

    > Just kidding around.

    Remember the smiley faces!

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Jan 14, 2005
  8. On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:55:28 GMT, Virgil Green wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> The problem is that i have to
    >>> start from complete scratch (without anything),

    >> What a load of rubbish. ...

    > That was uncalled for. ...

    >>> ..Besides that i have noone that helps me.

    >> If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    >> effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    >> be able to assist further.

    > Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just working
    > alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to help.
    >
    > So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    It is a general attitude that I recognise from becoming involved
    in answering of many posts by people who are new to programming
    and/or usenet.

    If this type of tone is not stomped on early and heavy, the
    poster struggles on for a few posts then disappears. The poster
    may disappear completely based on that *single* post, but that
    probably indicates they do not have a thick enough skin to get
    good use of usenet in any case.

    (shrugs) I might be completely wrong.

    But in any event, if the OP can get over it & post to c.l.j.help,
    I will offer further assistance, otherwise they can take their luck
    with anybody that posts to this thread.

    (raises eyebrow) You got any tips for the OP on this one, or did
    you perhaps feel that the links and tips* I provided adequately
    covered the 'best first advice' for starting Java programming?

    * Most pointedly, would you actually -recommend- anybody to include
    phrases that might so much as imply they deserve greater allowances,
    more or faster attention..?

    To Jose, I look forward to seeing you over on c.l.j.help, where you
    will find *lots* of friendly helpful people, including Virgil and
    many others. As an added bonus. On c.l.j.help, I even make a point
    of being much more polite. ;-)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 15, 2005
  9. Virgil Green <> scribbled the following:
    > Ann wrote:

    (snip lots of stuff that had long since become irrelevant)

    >> Just kidding around.

    > Remember the smiley faces!

    And the snipping!

    "'It can be easily shown that' means 'I saw a proof of this once (which I didn't
    understand) which I can no longer remember'."
    - A maths teacher

    Joona I Palaste, Jan 15, 2005
  10. Jose

    Virgil Green Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:55:28 GMT, Virgil Green wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >>> On 13 Jan 2005 06:28:19 -0800, Jose wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >>> What a load of rubbish. ...

    > ..
    >> That was uncalled for. ...

    >>> If I see you over on c.l.j.help showing signs you are putting
    >>> effort into learning Java, ..and not acting pathetic, I might
    >>> be able to assist further.

    >> Again, I think this was over the top. The dude is probably just
    >> working alone and doesn't have any other java developers on site to
    >> help.
    >>
    >> So, what's with the "pathetic" comments?

    > It is a general attitude that I recognise from becoming involved
    > in answering of many posts by people who are new to programming
    > and/or usenet.
    >
    > If this type of tone is not stomped on early and heavy, the
    > poster struggles on for a few posts then disappears. The poster
    > may disappear completely based on that *single* post, but that
    > probably indicates they do not have a thick enough skin to get
    > good use of usenet in any case.
    >
    > (shrugs) I might be completely wrong.

    The "tone" you recognized looked more like translation issues from someone
    who (I have surmised from data in their post) uses English as their second
    language. So, I think you are wrong on this one. I always try to allow for
    language issues, especially from those who have actually taken the time and
    put forth the effort to *learn* a second language.

    > But in any event, if the OP can get over it & post to c.l.j.help,
    > I will offer further assistance, otherwise they can take their luck
    > with anybody that posts to this thread.
    >
    > (raises eyebrow) You got any tips for the OP on this one, or did
    > you perhaps feel that the links and tips* I provided adequately
    > covered the 'best first advice' for starting Java programming?

    It is a general attitude that I recognise from becoming involved in
    answering of many posts to people who are using a second language to
    communicate with us in these forums.

    If this type of tone is not stomped on early and heavy, the Original Poster
    struggles on for a few posts then disappears. The poster may disappear
    completely based on that *single* post, but that probably indicates they
    have found an inhospitable forum in which their attempts to communicate in
    "our" language have been met with derision.

    > * Most pointedly, would you actually -recommend- anybody to include
    > phrases that might so much as imply they deserve greater allowances,
    > more or faster attention..?

    No, unless they are inadvertent due to language issues.

    --
    Virgil

    Virgil Green, Jan 18, 2005
  11. On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:12:27 GMT, Virgil Green wrote:

    (impressions from post..)
    > ..No, unless they are inadvertent due to language issues.

    Good points Virgil, most of which I completely missed (but now
    seem intuitively obvious, upon rereading) in my original posts.
    I'll give them a close look over later.

    - Jose - Please come back! Nobody here wants you to stop making posts.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 19, 2005