help IIS6 error 800a0046 permission denied wscript cmd.exe ftp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by stevewa, Aug 13, 2008.

  1. stevewa

    stevewa Guest

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

    Permission denied
    =======================
    Trying to find the solution is driving me crazy.

    Using IIS6 on Server2003 SBS
    Default website localhost
    IE7 browser running under administrator xp account login

    trying to use WScript.Shell to call cmd.exe to start ftp session from
    classic asp webscript using vbscript

    I've searched for solutions, here is what I've done so far... (sorry this is
    long, trying to explain it all in first post for best advice)

    IIS Default Website > Properties > Home Directory > Execute Permissions:
    Scripts and Executables

    IIS Default Website > Permissions : Full Control to IIS_WPG, IUSR_srvr,
    IWAM_srvr

    Used Windows Explorer to set security Access Control Lists ACL for above
    user accounts to Full Control on:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\wshom.ocx
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot (the location of the webscript causing the error and the
    ftp commands stored in a text file)

    Restarted the website under IIS, restarted IIS

    Still have the same error.

    Here is the script portion:

    Set oScript = Server.CreateObject("WSCRIPT.SHELL")
    Call oScript.Run("cmd.exe ftp.exe
    -s:C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ftp_commands.txt"),0,True)

    Error occurs on the last line shown above.

    I tried using other cmd.exe arguments, such as ver and dir, with same
    permissions problem

    I ran SysInternals FileMon, and here is the log snippet:

    387 12:37:46 AM w3wp.exe:1900 QUERY INFORMATION
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe SUCCESS Attributes: A

    so it appears to me that the permissions on cmd.exe are set correctly to
    allow iusr_srvr to execute it...

    Again, sorry this is so long, but I am really stumped and need some expert
    advice on what to troubleshoot. thank you in advance.
    stevewa, Aug 13, 2008

  2. stevewa wrote:
    > Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
    >
    > Permission denied
    > =======================
    > Trying to find the solution is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Using IIS6 on Server2003 SBS
    > Default website localhost
    > IE7 browser running under administrator xp account login
    >
    > trying to use WScript.Shell to call cmd.exe to start ftp session from
    > classic asp webscript using vbscript
    >
    > I've searched for solutions, here is what I've done so far... (sorry
    > this is long, trying to explain it all in first post for best advice)
    >
    > IIS Default Website > Properties > Home Directory > Execute
    > Permissions: Scripts and Executables
    >
    > IIS Default Website > Permissions : Full Control to IIS_WPG,
    > IUSR_srvr, IWAM_srvr
    >

    > Used Windows Explorer to set security Access Control Lists ACL for
    > above user accounts to Full Control on:
    > C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe
    > C:\Windows\System32\wscript.exe
    > C:\Windows\System32\wshom.ocx
    > C:\Inetpub\wwwroot (the location of the webscript causing the error
    > and the ftp commands stored in a text file)
    >
    > Restarted the website under IIS, restarted IIS
    >

    > Still have the same error.
    >
    > Here is the script portion:
    >
    > Set oScript = Server.CreateObject("WSCRIPT.SHELL")
    > Call oScript.Run("cmd.exe ftp.exe
    > -s:C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ftp_commands.txt"),0,True)
    >
    > Error occurs on the last line shown above.
    >
    > I tried using other cmd.exe arguments, such as ver and dir, with same
    > permissions problem
    >
    > I ran SysInternals FileMon, and here is the log snippet:
    >
    > 387 12:37:46 AM w3wp.exe:1900 QUERY INFORMATION
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe SUCCESS Attributes: A
    >
    > so it appears to me that the permissions on cmd.exe are set correctly
    > to allow iusr_srvr to execute it...
    >

    > Again, sorry this is so long, but I am really stumped and need some
    > expert advice on what to troubleshoot. thank you in advance.

    Does ftp.exe require a user interface? If so, IIS will not allow it to be
    run. If not, I don't see where you applied the above permissions to ftp.exe
    itself.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Aug 13, 2008

  3. stevewa

    stevewa Guest

    Sorry I must have missed typing that part, but I tried setting permissions on
    ftp.exe for IUSR_srvr

    As far as I know ftp.exe is a command line interface, and does not raise a
    dialog box. This code works on IIS5 on W2K IIS 5, but I guess IIS is super
    locked down
    stevewa, Aug 13, 2008