    i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your homepage?
    when they right click an error message comes on

    HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE PLEASE

    Sparklings9, Oct 3, 2004

  2. (Sparklings9) writes:

    > i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your homepage?
    > when they right click an error message comes on

    Impossible. There are ways of making it less easy for the image to be
    saved, for example, by displaying the image using the CSS 'background'
    property. But it doesn't take much detective work to figure out where
    the image is stored by viewing source or the linked stylesheets.

    Of course, there's nothing to stop your users taking a screen grab of
    the browser window and saving the image that way.

    The only way to stop people copying your images from the web is not to
    publish them there in the first place. Sorry.

    Matt

    Matt N. Jones, Oct 3, 2004

  3. nice.guy.nige, Oct 3, 2004
  4. Technological solutions to enforce copyright on images (was Re: help in html)

    Sparklings9 wrote:

    > i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your
    > homepage?

    http://dorward.me.uk/www/hide/

    (and please try to come up with more specific subject lines, 'help in html'
    could describe about 99.99% of the traffic in this newsgroup!)

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 3, 2004
  5. On 03 Oct 2004 19:29:40 GMT, Sparklings9 <> wrote:

    > i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your
    > homepage?

    With great difficulty unless you remove them.

    You could tell them that it is illegal according to the Berne Convention
    regarding literary and artistic works and, as I understand it, the
    Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement[1].

    You can add watermarks and copyright text to your images in a way that is
    difficult to remove.

    You can also provide images at a substandard quality or small size that
    will discourage their theft.

    None of these will be 100% effective, though.

    > when they right click an error message comes on

    That's useless and won't work in all cases anyway (it certainly won't in
    my browser). You have to realise that once the user has downloaded your
    image by viewing your page, it's on their computer and there are many ways
    for them to take it. Disabling the context menu will only frustrate law
    abiding users, and do nothing to stop the ones that are out to take your
    work.

    Mike

    [1] Obviously, it doesn't mean much unless you can prove that your work
    was taken in violation of the provisions of those agreements, that they
    apply to the perpetrator, and that you're willing to take the case to a
    court with appropriate jurisdiction. Pretty much impossible, really.

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Sparklings9

    Neal Guest

    On 03 Oct 2004 19:29:40 GMT, Sparklings9 <> wrote:

    > i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your
    > homepage?
    > when they right click an error message comes on

    See this page, which is related:

    http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

    > HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE
    > PLEASE

    Are you being attacked? Dial the cops, we don't know where you are.

    Neal, Oct 3, 2004
  7. Sparklings9

    Karl Core Guest

    "Sparklings9" <> wrote in message
    >i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your
    >homepage?

    Don't put it online.
    HTTP is a stateless protocol. By nature, everything your web page displays
    is cached on the user's machine.
    Don't want it stolen? Don't put it online.

    -Karl

    Karl Core, Oct 4, 2004
  8. Re: Technological solutions to enforce copyright on images (was Re:help in html)

    David Dorward wrote:
    > Sparklings9 wrote:
    >

    >>i need to know how do you make somebody not copy pictures from your
    >>homepage?

    > http://dorward.me.uk/www/hide/
    >
    > (and please try to come up with more specific subject lines, 'help in html'
    > could describe about 99.99% of the traffic in this newsgroup!)

    Listen to David here. He knows what he's talking about. This is
    something that we've covered time and time again in IRC for others.

    Stephanie Brim, Oct 4, 2004