help installing Storable module

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike G., Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Mike G.

    Mike G. Guest

    Hello,

    I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.

    I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
    version, Perl 5.4.

    In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
    called "lib" and accessed them through there.

    I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.

    I get this error:

    Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
    Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
    /usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
    referenced symbol not found at
    /usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.

    Any idea's?

    Thanks,

    -Mike

    Mike G., Feb 2, 2004

  2. On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:39:36 -0500, Mike G. wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.
    >
    > I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
    > version, Perl 5.4.
    >
    > In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
    > called "lib" and accessed them through there.
    >
    > I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.
    >
    > I get this error:
    >
    > Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
    > Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
    > /usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
    > referenced symbol not found at
    > /usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.
    >

    > Any idea's?

    Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.

    Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
    Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
    you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
    Perl modules.

    Basically, you're SOL until you're version of Perl is upgraded.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless
    <absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation. --
    <Fran Lebowitz

    James Willmore, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Mike G.

    Ben Morrow Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:39:36 -0500, Mike G. wrote:
    > > Any idea's?

    ^
    Grrrr

    > Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.
    >
    > Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
    > Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
    > you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
    > Perl modules.

    This isn't true. Storable wasn't core until 5.8, but it works
    perfectly well under 5.6. It does require 5.6, though, so the OP does
    need to upgrade.

    OP: If you've enough space, you could install a newer version of perl
    in a private directory.

    Ben

    - Pericles of Athens, c.430 B.C.

    Ben Morrow, Feb 3, 2004