help installing Storable module

Mike G.

Hello,

I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.

I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
version, Perl 5.4.

In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
called "lib" and accessed them through there.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.

I get this error:

Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
referenced symbol not found at
/usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.

Any idea's?

Thanks,

-Mike

James Willmore

Hello,

I would like to use the storable-2.08 module on Sun.

I don't have access to overwrite our Perl system files. Which are at an old
version, Perl 5.4.

In the past I have installed Perl modules into my home directory under a dir
called "lib" and accessed them through there.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this with Storable.

I get this error:

Can't load '/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so' for module
Storable: ld.so.1: /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr2/users/mikeg/lib/auto/Storable/Storable.so: symbol PL_sv_undef:
referenced symbol not found at
/usr/perl5.004/lib/sun4-solaris/5.00404/DynaLoader.pm line 166.

Any idea's?

Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.

Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
Perl modules.

Basically, you're SOL until you're version of Perl is upgraded.

HTH

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless
<absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation. --
<Fran Lebowitz

Ben Morrow

^
Grrrr

Short answer: ask your admin to upgrade Perl.

Longer answer: Storable is a core Perl module (perldoc perlmodlib).
Because it's a core Perl module, you can't treat it like any other module
you deal with. You can't install a private copy like you can with other
Perl modules.

This isn't true. Storable wasn't core until 5.8, but it works
perfectly well under 5.6. It does require 5.6, though, so the OP does
need to upgrade.

OP: If you've enough space, you could install a newer version of perl
in a private directory.

Ben