Help: invalid class string instantiating

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Cameron Lewis, Oct 24, 2005.

  1. System: Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates

    Error Type:
    Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
    Invalid class string
    /index.asp, line 20

    The code:
    SET fs = Server.CreateObject("scripting.fileSystemObject")

    This was working just fine up until I just installed Microsoft's latest
    updates from their updates site. Now, suddenly, I'm getting this error
    message on a very basic line of code. I cannot stress enough that this is
    the ONLY thing I've changed.

    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IIS. No luck. I tried manually
    registering scrrun.dll from windows\system32. No luck. I searched and
    searched via google, and got lots of people running into the same problem,
    and not actual solution.

    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Please forgive me if I haven't
    included some vital detail... I'll be happy to in a follow-up.

    -Cam

    Cameron Lewis, Oct 24, 2005

  2. Cameron Lewis

    xhead Guest

    If you open RegEdit on the machine you are running this on, can you
    find HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Scripting.FileSystemObject ? Under this folder
    there should be a CLSID folder with the guid
    {0D43FE01-F093-11CF-8940-00A0C9054228} (or similar) - can you find this
    ID in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID? If so, there should be a folder
    InProcServer32 with the path to the scrrun.dll file (in
    C:\windows\system32\ on my machine). Can you verify that you have that
    file?

    How about creating another web page with the same code behind it (but
    don't copy and paste - retype that particular line, just in case you
    have some sort of string weirdness in there). Maybe that might help
    you. Perhaps (for ultimate paranoia) the string is now case-sensitive
    for some reason - try Scripting.FileSystemObject? (that seems highly
    unlikely)

    Or it could be a permissions issue, but it doesn't look like that is
    the case, based on the message you are reporting.

    Mike

    xhead, Oct 24, 2005

  3. I see the Scripting.FileSystemObject folder under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, but I
    don't see an InProcServer32. Not sure how that should look. Could you
    perhaps email me a .reg or something that I can look at? Or just post it
    here as text, perhaps?

    I see the scrrun.dll in windows\system32, but I don't know what the
    InProcServer32 stuff is. :)

    I tried running some very simple sample code with the object off
    Microsoft's site, and even that didn't work, so I know it's not a simple
    typo or anything. :)

    I had also tried adding the internet user account to administrator, just in
    case it was a permissions issue, but no dice.

    Thanks for your help! It looks like I might just need to know what
    InProcServer32 should look like in the registry to get this working again.

    -Cam

    Cameron Lewis, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Well, I searched for scrrun.dll, and there is a
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\0D43FE01-F093-11CF-8940-00A0C9054228
    that points to the correct place in it's InprocServer32 folder.

    I guess I"m at square zero again. :(

    I love how Microsoft issues patches that break other parts of the system.
    I'm frustrated beyond belief at this point, and there's absolutely no way
    I'm reinstalling windows because of this. :(

    -Cam

    Cameron Lewis, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Cameron Lewis

    xhead Guest

    I see you've already tried the big hammer for the Permissions case, but
    here's an article that might help you track down a little finer for the
    permissions:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175804/

    In it there is some useful instructions on turning on Auditing to see
    what permissions are being requested (and perhaps denied?)
    Mike

    xhead, Oct 24, 2005
  6. > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175804/

    Gave it a try. I change the permissions. The minute I hit "apply" or "OK"
    on any change, it reverts back to what it was.

    My patience with this sort of microsoft stupidity is at ebb tide. I'm sick
    of this crap. :(

    -Cam

    Cameron Lewis, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Cameron Lewis

    tunghnt

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    set permission for FileSystemObject

    open regedit.exe
    go to this key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Scripting.FileSystemObject
    right click and choose Permissions...
    set permission as follow:
    . users read
    . system full read
    . power read
    . creator owner
    . admin full read
    or see neighbor's permission of this key and do as them

    Attached Files:

    tunghnt, Jun 11, 2007