Help! Jimi, JApplet, no events?

Steven J. Sobol

Summary of what I'm trying to do:

**I want to use JIMI to do some image manipulation. Specifically, I want
to write an applet that uses JIMI to load and display an image. Then I
want to track mouse movement so that when the user clicks the mouse, a
100px by 100px "lasso" appears, and the user can drag it around. (This
applet will take image files and create thumbnails using the 100x100
area specified by the user.)

**I'm subclassing JApplet.

No matter what I do, I can't get the JimiCanvas to respond to mouseDragged
or mouseClicked events. :(

Andrew Thompson

Steven said:
Summary of what I'm trying to do:

**I want to use JIMI to do some image manipulation. Specifically, I want
to write an applet that uses JIMI to load and display an image.

Why? I get the impression from this page
<http://java.sun.com/products/jimi/>
that JIMI is designed for projects that need
to run under 1.1.

That strongly suggest to me that this project
you are developing needs to work in 1.1 VM's, yet..
**I'm subclassing JApplet.

...JApplet was introduced in Java 1.2.

I would estimate that the number of browsers running 1.2
or 1.3 is extremely low, and that the mix of 1.1/1.4+ VM's
accounts for >98%* of Java enabled browsers.

Why not aim for either 1.4+ (much easier development,
more complicated deployment) or 1.1 (more complicated
development, with easier deployment to a potentially wider
user base)?

Oh, and I currently have 2.82 of 3.7 meg of JIMI downloaded,
...just curious really.

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew said:
I would estimate that the number of browsers running 1.2
or 1.3 is extremely low, and that the mix of 1.1/1.4+ VM's
accounts for >98%* of Java enabled browsers.

* but note that ~99.36% of statisitics are made up on
the spur of the moment. ;-)

Andrew T.

Steven J. Sobol

Why? I get the impression from this page
<http://java.sun.com/products/jimi/>
that JIMI is designed for projects that need
to run under 1.1.

Because I hadn't looked at Java2d first. Is there a better bet than Java2d?
..JApplet was introduced in Java 1.2.

Tried Applet too.
Why not aim for either 1.4+ (much easier development,
more complicated deployment) or 1.1 (more complicated
development, with easier deployment to a potentially wider
user base)?

I'm doing 1.4
Oh, and I currently have 2.82 of 3.7 meg of JIMI downloaded,
..just curious really.

The Jimi JAR that contains the library is less than 500K. It was the first
thing I came across, but after posting the question I decided to try Java2d
instead.

Andrew Thompson

Steven J. Sobol wrote:
I'm doing 1.4 ....
The Jimi JAR that contains the library is less than 500K.

Still - that's a huge wallop of a download before seeing
an applet on-screen.
...It was the first
thing I came across, but after posting the question I decided to try Java2d
instead.

Good choice.

Andrew T.