Help! maintaining/upgrading Perl on Windows

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Loup Blanc, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Loup Blanc

    Loup Blanc Guest

    Hi!
    althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
    awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
    Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
    it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
    module.

    Put it simply:

    if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
    recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.

    I would like to install directly using the CPAN rather than deal with
    the ppm stuff.

    Thanks in advance

    for reference, I use:
    - Win2K
    - Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 0)

    Loup Blanc, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Loup Blanc

    Robin Guest

    "Loup Blanc" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    > althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
    > awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
    > Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
    > it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
    > module.
    >
    > Put it simply:
    >
    > if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
    > recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.
    >
    > I would like to install directly using the CPAN rather than deal with
    > the ppm stuff.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > for reference, I use:
    > - Win2K
    > - Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 0)

    just run "cpan" from your command prompt.

    -Robin

    Robin, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Robin wrote:

    > "Loup Blanc" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
    >> recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.
    >>
    >> I would like to install directly using the CPAN rather than deal with
    >> the ppm stuff.
    >>

    > just run "cpan" from your command prompt.

    Robin, what part of "stop it" are you too stupid to understand?

    He knows about CPAN. He wants to use CPAN. He asked what compiler and tools
    he needs in order to use it. Your "advice" is nonsensical and useless.

    If you want to install modules under ActiveState's Perl, you'll need to use
    the same compiler they use - MSVC++ and 'nmake'.

    There was a fairly long discussion about building Perl & its modules with
    the recently-released free compiler from MS. It's archived at Google:

    http://tinyurl.com/3en5o

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Loup Blanc

    Sisyphus Guest

    Loup Blanc wrote:
    > Hi!
    > althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
    > awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
    > Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
    > it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
    > module.
    >
    > Put it simply:
    >
    > if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
    > recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.

    I've used MSVC++ 6, MSVC++ 7 (Visual Studio .NET), and MinGW (gcc) with
    dmake.

    As regards command line compilers for building perl imho the M$
    compilers have a (slight) edge. However, my preference lies with MinGW
    because:
    1) it's open source;
    2) it's not a Microsoft product;
    3) it's free.

    The third point loses some weight now that M$ have released a free
    command line compiler.

    One drawback with MinGW's gcc compiler is that you won't be able to
    build to some of the Win32::* modules. That's not really a problem if
    you're prepared to use the AS (and other) ppm packages (which work quite
    well on a MInGW-built perl).

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Sherm Pendley <> wrote in

    > http://tinyurl.com/3en5o

    Sherm, thank you very much. It looks like I missed the original thread, and
    I would have remained unaware of this download had you not posted this.

    Sinan.

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Apr 29, 2004