Help! maintaining/upgrading Perl on Windows

Loup Blanc

Hi!
althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
module.

Put it simply:

if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.

I would like to install directly using the CPAN rather than deal with
the ppm stuff.

Thanks in advance

for reference, I use:
- Win2K
- Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 0)

Robin

Loup Blanc said:
Hi!
althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
module.

Put it simply:

if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.

I would like to install directly using the CPAN rather than deal with
the ppm stuff.

Thanks in advance

for reference, I use:
- Win2K
- Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 0)

just run "cpan" from your command prompt.

-Robin

Sherm Pendley

Robin said:
just run "cpan" from your command prompt.

Robin, what part of "stop it" are you too stupid to understand?

He knows about CPAN. He wants to use CPAN. He asked what compiler and tools
he needs in order to use it. Your "advice" is nonsensical and useless.

If you want to install modules under ActiveState's Perl, you'll need to use
the same compiler they use - MSVC++ and 'nmake'.

There was a fairly long discussion about building Perl & its modules with
the recently-released free compiler from MS. It's archived at Google:

http://tinyurl.com/3en5o

sherm--

Sisyphus

Loup said:
Hi!
althought Perl is nice to use, the installation and maintenance is
awkward when it comes to MS-Windows.
Once it was easy to install/upgrade the modules using ppm but now
it's easier to reinstall the whole bundle than installing a simple
module.

Put it simply:

if you use & upgrade your Perl on Windows effectively give me your
recipe: compiler version, tools, etc.

I've used MSVC++ 6, MSVC++ 7 (Visual Studio .NET), and MinGW (gcc) with
dmake.

As regards command line compilers for building perl imho the M$
compilers have a (slight) edge. However, my preference lies with MinGW
because:
1) it's open source;
2) it's not a Microsoft product;
3) it's free.

The third point loses some weight now that M$ have released a free
command line compiler.

One drawback with MinGW's gcc compiler is that you won't be able to
build to some of the Win32::* modules. That's not really a problem if
you're prepared to use the AS (and other) ppm packages (which work quite
well on a MInGW-built perl).

Cheers,
Rob