help me debug Safari

Discussion in 'HTML' started by windandwaves, May 28, 2007.

  1. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    Hi Folk

    I am trying to debug my page in Safari.

    Please have a look at

    http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc

    When clicking on the images on the right-hand-side, they open at the
    top of the page in a big size.

    However, in Safari the JS does not work and it opens in a new window
    (my backup for if JS does not work). I have been trying to debug this
    on a Mac + Safari, but I could not find the problem.

    Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.

    Thank you

    Nicolaas
     
    windandwaves, May 28, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    windandwaves <> wrote:

    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I am trying to debug my page in Safari.
    >
    > Please have a look at
    >
    > http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    >
    > When clicking on the images on the right-hand-side, they open at the
    > top of the page in a big size.
    >
    > However, in Safari the JS does not work and it opens in a new window
    > (my backup for if JS does not work). I have been trying to debug this
    > on a Mac + Safari, but I could not find the problem.
    >
    > Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.
    >


    Same in iCab. Which reports:

    http://www.friars.co.nz/s/s.css
    CSS Error (204/24): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    CSS Error (204/36): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    CSS Error (204/69): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².
    http://www.friars.co.nz/s/map.css
    CSS Error (11/77): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    CSS Error (11/89): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    CSS Error (11/122): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².
    CSS Error (12/84): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    CSS Error (12/94): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    CSS Error (12/128): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².
    http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    JavaScript Error:[object DOMException: HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR (3)]

    If you are going to use javascript, and want the enlargements to
    open without "losing" the page being looked at, quite reliable at
    least for those with js enabled is, in fact to open a new window,
    the size of the enlargement. If you want the code for this, ask.

    Frankly, I think you should not be doing all these tricks, it
    looks jerky and bad and gimmicky even when it "works" as intended.

    Leave the pics on the right alone and put the captions underneath
    to stay. This will stop all that dancing about there. And, either
    let the enlargements open in a new "pop-up" window (the same one
    can be used for all the enlargements (avoiding a proliferation of
    windows) by making sure you size it for the biggest of your
    enlargements or else and much simpler and better, let the
    enlargements go to a different url with the user either using the
    back button of the browser or else a ink back to the main page
    provided by you.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 29, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    On May 29, 11:13 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >
    >
    > windandwaves <> wrote:
    > > Hi Folk

    >
    > > I am trying to debug my page in Safari.

    >
    > > Please have a look at

    >
    > >http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc

    >
    > > When clicking on the images on the right-hand-side, they open at the
    > > top of the page in a big size.

    >
    > > However, in Safari the JS does not work and it opens in a new window
    > > (my backup for if JS does not work). I have been trying to debug this
    > > on a Mac + Safari, but I could not find the problem.

    >
    > > Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.

    >
    > Same in iCab. Which reports:
    >
    > http://www.friars.co.nz/s/s.css
    > CSS Error (204/24): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    > CSS Error (204/36): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    > CSS Error (204/69): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².http://www.friars.co.nz/s/map.css
    > CSS Error (11/77): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    > CSS Error (11/89): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    > CSS Error (11/122): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².
    > CSS Error (12/84): Unknown CSS property ³opacity².
    > CSS Error (12/94): Unknown CSS property ³filter².
    > CSS Error (12/128): Unknown CSS property ³-moz-opacity².http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    > JavaScript Error:[object DOMException: HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR (3)]
    >
    > If you are going to use javascript, and want the enlargements to
    > open without "losing" the page being looked at, quite reliable at
    > least for those with js enabled is, in fact to open a new window,
    > the size of the enlargement. If you want the code for this, ask.
    >
    > Frankly, I think you should not be doing all these tricks, it
    > looks jerky and bad and gimmicky even when it "works" as intended.
    >
    > Leave the pics on the right alone and put the captions underneath
    > to stay. This will stop all that dancing about there. And, either
    > let the enlargements open in a new "pop-up" window (the same one
    > can be used for all the enlargements (avoiding a proliferation of
    > windows) by making sure you size it for the biggest of your
    > enlargements or else and much simpler and better, let the
    > enlargements go to a different url with the user either using the
    > back button of the browser or else a ink back to the main page
    > provided by you.
    >
    > --
    > dorayme



    Hi Dorayme

    Thank you for your response

    I know about the errors, no big deal in my opinion.

    However, not sure where the JavaScript Error:[object DOMException:
    HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR (3)] came from.

    Did you click on the images? What happened? I am not really
    interested in the design at the moment, just keen to find out the
    error in JS when clicking on the images.

    Personally, I like the way, the images show above the copy and no new
    window is opened.

    Can you help.

    Thanks a million

    Nicolaas
     
    windandwaves, May 29, 2007
    #3
  4. windandwaves

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    windandwaves <> wrote:

    > However, not sure where the JavaScript Error:[object DOMException:
    > HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR (3)] came from.
    >


    I was just reporting errors from iCab. I poked about in a js
    verifier a little elsewhere and there is some trouble at line 3:

    "character 1: Expected an identifier and instead saw '.'.
    ..noscreen {

    Problem at line 3 character 1: Stopping, unable to continue. (0%
    scanned).
    ..noscreen {"


    Perhaps this will give you a clue? I suggest you go to a
    javascript specialist newsgroup for further advice.

    Expecting all browsers with their varying error correction
    algorithms and js implementations to work as you expect is
    perhaps too optimistic.

    > Did you click on the images?
    > What happened? I am not really
    > interested in the design at the moment, just keen to find out the
    > error in JS when clicking on the images.
    >


    Yes, I did click and verified all that you reported. I added that
    similar happened in iCab.

    > Personally, I like the way, the images show above the copy and no new
    > window is opened.


    You and some others might like it but that does not make it good
    and solid web design. Perhaps you will return to the subject of
    the design and also gain by side-stepping the problems you are
    having.

    Good luck, anyway.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, May 29, 2007
    #4
  5. windandwaves

    rf Guest

    "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Folk
    >
    > I am trying to debug my page in Safari.
    >
    > Please have a look at
    >
    > http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    >
    > When clicking on the images on the right-hand-side, they open at the
    > top of the page in a big size.
    >
    > However, in Safari the JS does not work and it opens in a new window
    > (my backup for if JS does not work). I have been trying to debug this
    > on a Mac + Safari, but I could not find the problem.
    >
    > Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.


    Nope. Not with the source code of that page. Without any formatting I can''t
    read it.

    However, I notice something else:

    The rollover effect on those images, making the caption visible only on
    rollover, is extremely distracting.

    While playing with this I noticed another issue: you reload those images
    *from the host* on every rollover. I was wondering why my network icon was
    flashing so much and switched on firebug, noticing to my dismay your page
    had used over ten megabytes of my bandwidth. Not a page I would visit again.
    I hope your client has "unlimited" bandwidth :)

    --
    Richard.
     
    rf, May 29, 2007
    #5
  6. windandwaves

    windandwaves Guest

    On May 29, 1:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    > "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > Hi Folk

    >
    > > I am trying to debug my page in Safari.

    >
    > > Please have a look at

    >
    > >http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc

    >
    > > When clicking on the images on the right-hand-side, they open at the
    > > top of the page in a big size.

    >
    > > However, in Safari the JS does not work and it opens in a new window
    > > (my backup for if JS does not work). I have been trying to debug this
    > > on a Mac + Safari, but I could not find the problem.

    >
    > > Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.

    >
    > Nope. Not with the source code of that page. Without any formatting I can''t
    > read it.
    >
    > However, I notice something else:
    >
    > The rollover effect on those images, making the caption visible only on
    > rollover, is extremely distracting.
    >
    > While playing with this I noticed another issue: you reload those images
    > *from the host* on every rollover. I was wondering why my network icon was
    > flashing so much and switched on firebug, noticing to my dismay your page
    > had used over ten megabytes of my bandwidth. Not a page I would visit again.
    > I hope your client has "unlimited" bandwidth :)
    >
    > --
    > Richard.


    Hi Richard,

    Thank you for your note. I would be very surprised if the above is
    true. I use firebug too, and the images are definitely not loaded on
    every roll-over. If you want to inspect the html, the easiest thing
    to use is firebug....

    Anyway, I might try the JS group for help.
     
    windandwaves, May 29, 2007
    #6
  7. rf wrote:
    >
    > "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    > news:...


    >> http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    >> Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.


    > Nope. Not with the source code of that page. Without any formatting I can''t
    > read it.


    Holy crap! How does one even *create* something like that? Why?


    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
     
    Blinky the Shark, May 29, 2007
    #7
  8. In <news:>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > rf wrote:
    > >
    > > "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...

    >
    > >> http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc
    > >> Can you help by telling me what is wrong with the JS in Safari.

    >
    > > Nope. Not with the source code of that page. Without any formatting
    > > I can''t read it.

    >
    > Holy crap! How does one even *create* something like that? Why?


    I guess the "why" is the extremely small bandwidth saved by not having
    to send line breaks and tabs or whitespace that browsers will just
    ignore.

    --
    »Q«
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?B?u1Gr?=, May 29, 2007
    #8
  9. windandwaves

    rf Guest

    "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On May 29, 1:59 pm, "rf" <> wrote:
    >> "windandwaves" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> >http://www.friars.co.nz/listing.php?p=ptc

    >>
    >> While playing with this I noticed another issue: you reload those images
    >> *from the host* on every rollover. I was wondering why my network icon
    >> was
    >> flashing so much and switched on firebug, noticing to my dismay your page
    >> had used over ten megabytes of my bandwidth. Not a page I would visit
    >> again.
    >> I hope your client has "unlimited" bandwidth :)


    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Thank you for your note. I would be very surprised if the above is
    > true. I use firebug too, and the images are definitely not loaded on
    > every roll-over.


    Yes they are. My network icon was flashing because I had my cache turned off
    for some testing. With the cach turned off the image is reloaded from the
    host on every mouseover.

    With the cache turned on the image is still reloaded, but from the cache.

    If you don't believe me then switch on firebug, the Net tab, and watch the
    requests pile up. There is a network request for *every* mouseover.

    http://barefile.com.au/ww.jpg (100K)

    Right down the bottom, see 10 megabytes of download? Not that it really
    matters I suppose, if it's coming from the cache.

    > If you want to inspect the html, the easiest thing
    > to use is firebug....


    Why make me jump throught hoops to attempt to help you? :)

    --
    Richard.
     
    rf, May 29, 2007
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RonL
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    778
  2. Throw

    Safari users, help please

    Throw, Sep 12, 2005, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    642
    Alan J. Flavell
    Sep 16, 2005
  3. ringos75
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    998
    ringos75
    Apr 14, 2005
  4. Mike C. Fletcher
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,017
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=
    Oct 12, 2003
  5. André
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,677
Loading...

Share This Page