Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi

Frogleg

OK. So I d'loaded the Windows version of mySQL from www.mysql.com --
the 'install' version, not just the zipped files. All 20Mb. With a
dial-up connection.

I found a DOS-style install app in the unzipped pkg, and 'installed'
it. Now what? The only exectuable I could find is 'winmysqladmin.exe'
and that wouldn't run because it said it couldn't find
'libmysql.dll'. There are actually 2 copies -- one in c:/mysql/debug
and another in c:/mysql/lib

The doc on installation is a real eye-closer. "If this is an
update..." must be gotten around, and then everything goes to
directions like "You need to tune the server settings. For example, to
use the InnoDB transactional tables in MySQL version 3.23, you must
manually add some extra lines to the option file, as described in
section 16.4 InnoDB Configuration."

SQL, the language, seems *quite* straightforward. I have access to
space on a host that has mySQL and PHP support, so I could learn and
practice *there*, except they have no help/tutorials/whatever to show
one how to get started.

So what do I do now?

Deryck

Frogleg said:
[...]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764549693/ref=sr_aps_books_1_2/026-4225455-6526832

Blinky the Shark

Frogleg said:
OK. So I d'loaded the Windows version of mySQL from www.mysql.com --
the 'install' version, not just the zipped files. All 20Mb. With a
dial-up connection.
I found a DOS-style install app in the unzipped pkg, and 'installed'
it. Now what? The only exectuable I could find is 'winmysqladmin.exe'
and that wouldn't run because it said it couldn't find
'libmysql.dll'. There are actually 2 copies -- one in c:/mysql/debug
and another in c:/mysql/lib

Any help in this exchange?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2000-01/msg00617.php

rf

Frogleg said:
OK. So I d'loaded the Windows version of mySQL from www.mysql.com --
the 'install' version, not just the zipped files. All 20Mb. With a
dial-up connection.

And this has what to do with HTML?

BTW your subject line is so way off topic as to be ludicrous. Maybe the star
wars newsgroups can help you with your question.

Cheers
Richard.

SpaceGirl

rf said:
And this has what to do with HTML?

BTW your subject line is so way off topic as to be ludicrous. Maybe the star
wars newsgroups can help you with your question.

Cheers
Richard.

Perhaps he's going to use a mySQL db to store data for his HTML pages? ;)

And your reply was just as off topic as his question... so
nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

rf

SpaceGirl said:
Perhaps he's going to use a mySQL db to store data for his HTML pages? ;)

Hmmm. Perhaps. The FAQ does say that almost anything web related is on topic
here.

However, if I use a Del computer on which I run Linux under which I run
apache which supports mySQL to provide a db for the server side PHP process
that generates the HTML pages for my site I don't ask here how to plug it
into the wall :)
And your reply was just as off topic as his question... so
nerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

You forgot to trim my sig.

scratch, scratch...

Cheers
Richard.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
So what do I do now?

I'd suggest you find a hapless dreaming farmboy, a couple of droids, an old
mystic, a cynical hotshot pilot and a big furry creature. Together they
should get your MySQL setup sorted in no time! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

SpaceGirl

nice.guy.nige said:
I'd suggest you find a hapless dreaming farmboy, a couple of droids, an old
mystic, a cynical hotshot pilot and a big furry creature. Together they
should get your MySQL setup sorted in no time! ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Not to mention find that your father is George Bush and your girlfriend is
your sister ;)

rf

nice.guy.nige said:
I'd suggest you find a hapless dreaming farmboy, a couple of droids, an old
mystic, a cynical hotshot pilot and a big furry creature. Together they
should get your MySQL setup sorted in no time! ;-)

That'd be version 5039.8 of mySQL then?

Cheers
Richard.

Frogleg

So what do I do now?

Thanks to those who offered practical suggestions. I finally found the
end of the pull-tab and have written a successful PHP 'hello, world'
and created a 3-record mySQL database.

Why did I ask these questions in alt.html? Because the example that
got me started was used as a demo here. Obviously people here know far
more than vanilla HTML, and I've come to know whose advice to trust.
Who *knows* what loons might be lurking in alt.php.sql?

Advice to go to www.mysql.com and www.php.net isn't too helpful for
someone who doesn't know what questions to ask. I'll write it up when
I get some time.