    I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

    Thanks you in advance of your help.

    My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

    Peter Leonard, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Peter Leonard

    Steve R. Guest

    Peter Leonard wrote in message ...
    > Would someone please suggest any improvements I can make.

    Your *Osset Town* page - reduce the text size to the same as the other
    pages.

    Your *Vote* page - Please not a red background :-(
    Make it consistent with the other pages, as the text against the red is
    barely readable.

    Put a *Home* listing in your menu, as I had to use the 'Back' button to get
    back to your HomePage.

    Steve R., Jan 18, 2004

  3. "Peter Leonard" <> wrote in message
    > I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

    Try to ween yourself off frontpage.
    Learning proper HTML is ultimately rewarding, once your designs grow more
    complex.

    Do this in stages:

    - Look in frontpage's source code, for everything you make..
    - Tinker with frontpage's source code and see what happens.
    - Try to understand what frontpage is doing to create the layout.
    - Clean up frontpage's sloppy HTML until you grow tired of it.
    - Write your own code using open web standards (www.w3c.org).

    Woolly Mittens, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Peter Leonard

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:buesbg$qo6$>
    "Peter Leonard" <> said:

    > I use Microsoft frontpage

    i'm sure your mother has told you if you keep doing it you'll go blind.

    jedit: http://www.jedit.org/
    nedit: http://www.nedit.org/
    netpadd: http://www.netpadd.com/
    araneae: http://www.araneae.com/
    1st page: http://www.evrsoft.com/
    crimson: http://crimsoneditor.com/
    ezpad: http://www.mmedia.is/ezpad/
    acehtml: http://freeware.acehtml.com/
    notetab light: http://www.notetab.com/
    tswebeditor: http://tswebeditor.net.tc/
    html-kit: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    pspad: http://www.pspad.com/index_en.html
    websmill: http://www.xtreeme.com/websmill/
    metapad: http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/
    quanta (linux): http://quanta.sourceforge.net/
    dirt&stick: http://bruciesusenetshit.info/editor/
    notespad: http://www.newbie.net/NotesPad/index.html
    grey matter pro: http://www.pagetutor.com/misc/grey.html
    editpad lite: http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html
    stones webwrite: http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    matizha sublime: http://www.matizha.com/en/products/sublime/

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 18, 2004
  5. Peter Leonard

    John McGaw Guest

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    > started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
    > improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get

    too
    > technical.
    >
    > I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.
    >
    > Thanks you in advance of your help.
    >
    > My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

    Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your welcome.htm)
    page is a good way to drive people away before they can even take a look.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Return address will not work. Please
    reply in group or through my website:
    http://johnmcgaw.com

    John McGaw, Jan 18, 2004
  6. In article <buesbg$qo6$>,
    says...
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    > started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
    > improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get too
    > technical.

    Colour.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 18, 2004
  7. Peter Leonard

    Lois Guest

    "Peter Leonard" wrote:
    : I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    : started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
    : improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get
    too
    : technical.

    Good start. How about a short paragraph to introduce your site and its
    purpose, and then the other info in categories with headings. Make it easy
    for people to know where they are even if they land at your site by
    accident, and to find info at a glance.

    Align-left your text to make it easier to read. Centred text means the
    reader has to look for the left margin with every line.

    Watch your spelling ("programs" has only one "p") and punctuation. Missing
    periods mean the reader has to stop and think where one sentence ends and
    another begins.

    Lois

    Lois, Jan 18, 2004
  8. Peter Leonard wrote:
    > Hi.

    Hello

    > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    > started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest
    > any improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please
    > don't get too technical.

    You want to do it right?

    > I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC
    > now.
    >
    > Thanks you in advance of your help.
    >
    > My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

    Ok, you have acquired some bad habits that must be addressed asap.

    o Lose the frames
    o Dump F/P and learn HTML
    o There is no need to specify a font size.

    and as others have mentioned, dump the gratuitous noise, it really is better
    to let the visitor decide.

    Things to do:
    o Keep it simple while you're learning - less is more.
    o Concentrate on producing quality content.
    o Use CSS whenever you wish to suggest a modified appearance.

    In any event, have fun.
    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Jan 18, 2004
  9. While the city slept, Lois <> feverishly typed:

    > Missing periods mean the reader has to stop and think where one
    > sentence ends and another begins.

    And there was me thinking missing periods meant your girlfriend was
    pregnant... Although the above could still read true, I suppose.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 19, 2004
  10. While the city slept, Peter Leonard <>
    feverishly typed:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    > started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest
    > any improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please
    > don't get too technical.
    >
    > I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC
    > now.

    As the others have said, learn HTML (etc). It will stand you very good
    ground to do so. Also, hang around in this newsgroup for a long time. You
    will learn a hell of a lot - not just on HTML, but web design principles in
    general.

    This is the Unibond league if I'm not mistaken? 1'st Division or Premier? I
    remember the glory days when my home side (Buxton) were in there. I was
    there when we officially went down from the Unibond Premier. A very sad
    day... then the year after we went down from the Unibond 1'st Division... to
    the Northern Counties East League of all places! Things are finally looking
    up again, though, so watch out next year (or the year after, depending which
    division it is!)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.

    nice.guy.nige, Jan 19, 2004
  11. Peter Leonard

    Steve R. Guest

    John McGaw wrote in message ...
    > Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your welcome.htm)
    > page is a good way to drive people away before they can even take a look.

    He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
    probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

    Steve R., Jan 19, 2004
  12. Peter Leonard

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > John McGaw wrote in message ...
    >> Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your
    >> welcome.htm) page is a good way to drive people away before they can
    >> even take a look.

    > He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
    > probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

    He's using a large (I hit stop after 512KB) MP3 as his background music,
    which will probably result in any non-broadband user finishing reading the
    whole site and going back to where they came from before the music starts
    to play.

    Eric Bohlman, Jan 19, 2004
  13. Steve R. wrote:
    > John McGaw wrote in message ...
    >
    >>Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your welcome.htm)
    >>page is a good way to drive people away before they can even take a look.

    > He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
    > probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

    I'm 13, and I would have minded that when I was 12 just as much as now.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 19, 2004
  14. "Peter Leonard" <> skrev i melding
    > Hi.
    >
    > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
    > started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
    > improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get

    too
    > technical.

    Sure:
    1. Don't have a Java applet on the front page, or even when it's
    unnecessary.
    It doesn't matter how "cool" it looks, you can do without it.
    2. Background music = bad, no matter how much you love the tune. I like
    having music in the background when I surf, but I prefer playing music I
    already have, just like many others. Also, having unlicensed music on your
    website is breaching copyright. Look into music licensing with the record
    company that published the song.
    3. Change the red background on the voting page to something less
    "screaming".
    4. Keep a certain level of design conformity on your website, ie. don't have
    a completely different look for each page.
    5. You might want to add a headline telling visitors which website they're
    on, as well as a link back to the welcome page on your left hand menu.
    6. Large text all over a page ("Osset Town" link) isn't good, even if you're
    trying to use up all the space. Stick to one size for headlines (you may
    have different sizes here, depending on the importance of the headline -
    think newspapers) and another size for normal text.
    7. Guestbook has the text to the RIGHT of the text boxes, which will confuse
    many visitors. Your fans are less likely to be from a country that has the
    tradition of reading from right to left (such as Arabic countries). Also,
    "Click here to send your message" is totally unnecessary.
    8. If you're going to have a counter, you should seperate it further from
    the other text (in this case, the links on the left side).

    > I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

    Microsoft FrontPage isn't as free as you think it is. I do think it's a part
    of the Microsoft Office package, which makes it commercial (and paid-for)
    software.

    Also, it's not the only free HTML editor out there. brucie has a long list
    for you in a seperate reply to your post. I prefer EditPad Lite myself, but
    then again, I also prefer coding by hand.

    While you're at it, look into the learning method suggested by Woolly
    Mittens in a seperate reply. It's close to the method I learned HTML myself,
    and I hand code myself now. I've even risen to the level where I can see
    HTML code and render it in my head (ie. see a preview in my mind without
    saving it to open in a browser).

    As Woolly Mittens suggests, "dissecting" code made by others (such as
    FrontPage or Dreamweaver) and altering it is a good way to learn. That also
    goes for script-based programming languages (JavaScript, Perl, PHP, ASP,
    etc).

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    Kim André Akerø, Jan 20, 2004
  15. Peter Leonard

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <9zXOb.1$>,
    says...
    > I'm 13, and I would have minded that when I was 12 just as much as now.

    You are awfully opinionated for a 13 year old.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 21, 2004
  16. Peter Leonard

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <400c1c2a$1@proxy.>, says...
    > > I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML...

    > 1. Don't have a Java applet on the front page, or even when it's
    > unnecessary.
    > It doesn't matter how "cool" it looks, you can do without it.

    Horse doo doo Totally depends on the site what you should and should
    not use. A home site for a 12 year old can have as much eye candy as
    they like. Investigate and see what is you there. If you don't know
    what options are out there, then you will never have a grasp of what the
    web is really capable of.

    12 years old is the time to investigate creativity, not put limits on
    it.

    > 2. Background music = bad, no matter how much you love the tune. I like
    > having music in the background when I surf, but I prefer playing music I
    > already have, just like many others.

    If you have music, have a way to turn it on and off

    > Also, having unlicensed music on your
    > website is breaching copyright.

    Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under fair
    use.

    > Look into music licensing with the record
    > company that published the song.

    No need to do this.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 21, 2004
  17. Peter Leonard

    OllimaX Guest

    Whitecrest <> kirjoitti Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:39:16 -
    0500:

    >> Also, having unlicensed music on your
    >> website is breaching copyright.

    > Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under fair
    > use.

    I am really tempeted to agree wityh you, but if I owned the copyright of
    the record, how would i know if the page is 12year old's homepage?

    Me, Myself, I, Personally wouldn't sue him, but I think it is fair to warn
    him, at least.

    >> Look into music licensing with the record
    >> company that published the song.

    > No need to do this.

    Oll¡maX
    (Father of a 10year old)

    --
    email : ollimantyranta"boing"sunpoint"boing"net

    OllimaX, Jan 21, 2004
  18. In article <>, OllimaX says...

    > how would i know if the page is 12year old's homepage?

    * Over-sized image that doesn't tile properly as the background
    * Annoying background music
    * Picture of Britney
    * L337 Sp34K
    * Article about how much parents suck
    * "Shout out" to his "homies"

    > Me, Myself, I, Personally wouldn't sue him, but I think it is fair to warn
    > him, at least.

    I think you have to give warning first anyway, usually in the form of a
    letter from a lawyer. He might not know what he's doing is wrong.

    In this guy's case, I don't think anybody would care. Having said that:
    http://www.stopriaalawsuits.com/index1.html

    --
    Daniel Ruscoe
    http://www.dualstone.co.uk

    Daniel Ruscoe, Jan 21, 2004
  19. Peter Leonard

    Leslie Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:28:24 -0500, Whitecrest <>
    wrote:

    >In article <9zXOb.1$>,
    >says...
    >> I'm 13, and I would have minded that when I was 12 just as much as now.

    >You are awfully opinionated for a 13 year old.

    Ever live with a 13 year old? My (now) 14 year old has opinions about
    EVERYTHING and isn't afraid to express them.

    Leslie
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

    Leslie, Jan 22, 2004
  20. While the city slept, Whitecrest <> feverishly typed:

    > In article <400c1c2a$1@proxy.>, says...
    >> Also, having unlicensed music on your
    >> website is breaching copyright.

    > Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under
    > fair use.

    What? Did the law suddenly stop because the person who breached copyright
    was only 12? Breaching copyright is breaching copyright. If he/she was a few
    years younger, they could argue that they didn't know right from wrong.
    However, 12 is more than old enough to know better (IIRC, when I was a kid,
    a lot younger than that was "old enough to know better" (especially when it
    involved some prank between me and my younger neighbour!))

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss.