help me please

Peter Leonard

Hi.

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get too
technical.

I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

Thanks you in advance of your help.

My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

Steve R.

Peter Leonard wrote in message ...
Would someone please suggest any improvements I can make.

Your *Osset Town* page - reduce the text size to the same as the other
pages.

Your *Vote* page - Please not a red background :-(
Make it consistent with the other pages, as the text against the red is
barely readable.

Put a *Home* listing in your menu, as I had to use the 'Back' button to get
back to your HomePage.

Woolly Mittens

Peter Leonard said:
I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

Try to ween yourself off frontpage.
Learning proper HTML is ultimately rewarding, once your designs grow more
complex.

Do this in stages:

- Look in frontpage's source code, for everything you make..
- Tinker with frontpage's source code and see what happens.
- Try to understand what frontpage is doing to create the layout.
- Clean up frontpage's sloppy HTML until you grow tired of it.
- Write your own code using open web standards (www.w3c.org).

John McGaw

Peter Leonard said:
Hi.

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get too
technical.

I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

Thanks you in advance of your help.

My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your welcome.htm)
page is a good way to drive people away before they can even take a look.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Hywel Jenkins

Hi.

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get too
technical.

Colour.

Lois

:
: I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
: started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
: improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get
too
: technical.

Good start. How about a short paragraph to introduce your site and its
purpose, and then the other info in categories with headings. Make it easy
for people to know where they are even if they land at your site by
accident, and to find info at a glance.

Align-left your text to make it easier to read. Centred text means the
reader has to look for the left margin with every line.

Watch your spelling ("programs" has only one "p") and punctuation. Missing
periods mean the reader has to stop and think where one sentence ends and
another begins.

Lois

William Tasso

Peter said:
Hi.
Hello

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest
any improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please
don't get too technical.

You want to do it right?
I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC
now.

Thanks you in advance of your help.

My site is at http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.united/

Ok, you have acquired some bad habits that must be addressed asap.

o Lose the frames
o Dump F/P and learn HTML
o There is no need to specify a font size.

and as others have mentioned, dump the gratuitous noise, it really is better
to let the visitor decide.

Things to do:
o Keep it simple while you're learning - less is more.
o Concentrate on producing quality content.
o Use CSS whenever you wish to suggest a modified appearance.

In any event, have fun.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Missing periods mean the reader has to stop and think where one
sentence ends and another begins.

And there was me thinking missing periods meant your girlfriend was
pregnant... Although the above could still read true, I suppose.

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!

nice.guy.nige

Hi.

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest
any improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please
don't get too technical.

I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC
now.

As the others have said, learn HTML (etc). It will stand you very good
ground to do so. Also, hang around in this newsgroup for a long time. You
will learn a hell of a lot - not just on HTML, but web design principles in
general.

This is the Unibond league if I'm not mistaken? 1'st Division or Premier? I
remember the glory days when my home side (Buxton) were in there. I was
there when we officially went down from the Unibond Premier. A very sad
day... then the year after we went down from the Unibond 1'st Division... to
the Northern Counties East League of all places! Things are finally looking
up again, though, so watch out next year (or the year after, depending which
division it is!)

Cheers,
Nige

--

John McGaw wrote in message ...
Having uncontrollable spontaneous music playback (as on your welcome.htm)
page is a good way to drive people away before they can even take a look.

He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

Eric Bohlman

John McGaw wrote in message ...

He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

He's using a large (I hit stop after 512KB) MP3 as his background music,
which will probably result in any non-broadband user finishing reading the
whole site and going back to where they came from before the music starts
to play.

Leif K-Brooks

Steve said:
John McGaw wrote in message ...

He's a 12 year-old. Teenage kids do that, and his target audince will
probably appreciate it, so it's not a *fault* with his website.

I'm 13, and I would have minded that when I was 12 just as much as now.

Kim André Akerø

Peter Leonard said:
Hi.

I'm 12 years old and very new to HTML. I'm mad about football and I've
started a site all about my local club. Would someone please suggest any
improvements I can make - I'm sure there are lots - but please don't get too
technical.

Sure:
1. Don't have a Java applet on the front page, or even when it's
unnecessary.
It doesn't matter how "cool" it looks, you can do without it.
2. Background music = bad, no matter how much you love the tune. I like
having music in the background when I surf, but I prefer playing music I
already have, just like many others. Also, having unlicensed music on your
website is breaching copyright. Look into music licensing with the record
company that published the song.
3. Change the red background on the voting page to something less
"screaming".
4. Keep a certain level of design conformity on your website, ie. don't have
a completely different look for each page.
5. You might want to add a headline telling visitors which website they're
on, as well as a link back to the welcome page on your left hand menu.
6. Large text all over a page ("Osset Town" link) isn't good, even if you're
trying to use up all the space. Stick to one size for headlines (you may
have different sizes here, depending on the importance of the headline -
think newspapers) and another size for normal text.
7. Guestbook has the text to the RIGHT of the text boxes, which will confuse
many visitors. Your fans are less likely to be from a country that has the
tradition of reading from right to left (such as Arabic countries). Also,
"Click here to send your message" is totally unnecessary.
8. If you're going to have a counter, you should seperate it further from
the other text (in this case, the links on the left side).

I use Microsoft frontpage as my editor because it's free and on my PC now.

Microsoft FrontPage isn't as free as you think it is. I do think it's a part
of the Microsoft Office package, which makes it commercial (and paid-for)
software.

Also, it's not the only free HTML editor out there. brucie has a long list
for you in a seperate reply to your post. I prefer EditPad Lite myself, but
then again, I also prefer coding by hand.

While you're at it, look into the learning method suggested by Woolly
Mittens in a seperate reply. It's close to the method I learned HTML myself,
and I hand code myself now. I've even risen to the level where I can see
HTML code and render it in my head (ie. see a preview in my mind without
saving it to open in a browser).

As Woolly Mittens suggests, "dissecting" code made by others (such as
FrontPage or Dreamweaver) and altering it is a good way to learn. That also
goes for script-based programming languages (JavaScript, Perl, PHP, ASP,
etc).

Whitecrest

1. Don't have a Java applet on the front page, or even when it's
unnecessary.
It doesn't matter how "cool" it looks, you can do without it.
Horse doo doo Totally depends on the site what you should and should
not use. A home site for a 12 year old can have as much eye candy as
they like. Investigate and see what is you there. If you don't know
what options are out there, then you will never have a grasp of what the
web is really capable of.

12 years old is the time to investigate creativity, not put limits on
it.
2. Background music = bad, no matter how much you love the tune. I like
having music in the background when I surf, but I prefer playing music I
already have, just like many others.
If you have music, have a way to turn it on and off
Also, having unlicensed music on your
website is breaching copyright.
Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under fair
use.
Look into music licensing with the record
company that published the song.
No need to do this.

OllimaX

Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under fair
use.

I am really tempeted to agree wityh you, but if I owned the copyright of
the record, how would i know if the page is 12year old's homepage?

Me, Myself, I, Personally wouldn't sue him, but I think it is fair to warn
him, at least.
No need to do this.

Oll¡maX
(Father of a 10year old)

Daniel Ruscoe

how would i know if the page is 12year old's homepage?

* Over-sized image that doesn't tile properly as the background
* Annoying background music
* Picture of Britney
* L337 Sp34K
* Article about how much parents suck
* "Shout out" to his "homies"
Me, Myself, I, Personally wouldn't sue him, but I think it is fair to warn
him, at least.

I think you have to give warning first anyway, usually in the form of a
letter from a lawyer. He might not know what he's doing is wrong.

In this guy's case, I don't think anybody would care. Having said that:
http://www.stopriaalawsuits.com/index1.html

Leslie

You are awfully opinionated for a 13 year old.

Ever live with a 13 year old? My (now) 14 year old has opinions about
EVERYTHING and isn't afraid to express them.

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept said:
Not for a 12 year old's home page it isn't. It clearly falls under
fair use.

What? Did the law suddenly stop because the person who breached copyright
was only 12? Breaching copyright is breaching copyright. If he/she was a few
years younger, they could argue that they didn't know right from wrong.
However, 12 is more than old enough to know better (IIRC, when I was a kid,
a lot younger than that was "old enough to know better" (especially when it
involved some prank between me and my younger neighbour!))

Cheers,
Nige