Help me solve this problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Patriot, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. Patriot

    Patriot Guest

    Hello,

    I am assigned to replace an old Web application (written by some
    contractors) with new asp.net application.

    The current application has an integration to Lotus Notes to send
    email and record in-coming email to the its database. To do this, they
    have some ActiveX to open Lotus Notes windows to handle out going
    messages and in Lotus Notes they also use Lotus Script (similar to VB)
    to handle incoming messages.

    To send messages from the application, the application will activate
    Lotus Notes windows and populate the mail form with data from the
    application (Recipients, Subjects, Body text, attachment....). Then
    the users will either fill out some more text in the body and/or other
    fields and click Send to send the message.

    With incoming messages, they have to write some Lotus Script (or VB
    codes) to use the ActivateX COM object and pass data (Sender, Body
    text...) to the COM object, pass control to the web application, show
    the data in the web form and the user will save the record or fill out
    some more data before saving.

    What is it available for me to tackle this problem as I don't see
    Microsoft Visual Studio have ActiveX template?

    Thank you.
    Patriot, Apr 22, 2010

  2. Patriot

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/uploadfile/dsandor/activexinnet11102005040748am/activexinnet.aspx>
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317392>
    Mr. Arnold, Apr 22, 2010

  3. "Patriot" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am assigned to replace an old Web application (written by some
    > contractors) with new asp.net application.
    >
    > <SNIPPED>
    >
    > With incoming messages, they have to write some Lotus Script (or VB
    > codes) to use the ActivateX COM object and pass data (Sender, Body
    > text...) to the COM object, pass control to the web application, show
    > the data in the web form and the user will save the record or fill out
    > some more data before saving.

    Create a reference to the ActivateX COM object (?) and it will create a .NET
    Interop wrapper for you (you can also do this manually with TmlImp.exe, but
    why use outside tools when Visual Studio will do it for you).

    The pain here is there is often some "translation" from COM to .NET types. A
    quick Google search should find some info on using COM in .NET. Sorry to
    hear you had some contractors. ;-)

    --
    Peace and Grace,
    Greg

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Apr 22, 2010
  4. Patriot

    Patriot Guest

    Thank you Mr. Arnold for the links. They look informative (with
    sample...yeah...). I will explore this option.

    Thanks Greg. I am quite sure what you mean here as I'm not fully
    using .Net to develop. I'm mostly handling the legacy systems in
    Foxpro (sigh*). My knowledge in .Net is really far behind the trend.
    If you could explain in more details, I really appreciate it.
    Patriot, Apr 22, 2010
  5. Patriot

    Patriot Guest

    Thank you Mr. Arnold for the links. They look informative (with
    sample...yeah...). I will explore this option.

    Thanks Greg. I am not quite sure what you mean here as I'm not fully
    Patriot, Apr 22, 2010