help me with this damn problem!!!!!!!

The Clansman

I need to have files to download, but ony authenticated user can download
the files, so I'm using this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;812406

some files has 50mb or more...... so when the download starts, the user
cannot continue navigating in the page until the download ends.

and the best problem ever, is that my great boss does NOT want to have any
popup in the application...... otherwise I would popup a new windows to have
the download page running in another instance and everyone would be happy
forever :S

thanks,
Bruno

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

fire the download on a background thread, or an asynch routine. have a look
at threading or asynch methods

The Clansman

I tried to use a threading but the download stops when the click envent ends

do you have an example?

thanks

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
The Clansman said:
I need to have files to download, but ony authenticated user can download
the files, so I'm using this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;812406

some files has 50mb or more...... so when the download starts, the user
cannot continue navigating in the page until the download ends.

and the best problem ever, is that my great boss does NOT want to have any
popup in the application...... otherwise I would popup a new windows to
have
the download page running in another instance and everyone would be happy
forever :S

thanks,
Bruno

Craig Deelsnyder

The Clansman said:
I need to have files to download, but ony authenticated user can download
the files, so I'm using this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;812406

some files has 50mb or more...... so when the download starts, the user
cannot continue navigating in the page until the download ends.

and the best problem ever, is that my great boss does NOT want to have any
popup in the application...... otherwise I would popup a new windows to
have
the download page running in another instance and everyone would be happy
forever :S

thanks,
Bruno

I'm not sure threading/asynch will work, as when the user navigates away,
the Response stream would be broken on the download (which is what I think
you're saying).

Perhaps using frames is the only option since popups aren't possible. Use
a 'hidden' frame to do the download. It's about your only option....

The Clansman

hi,
its using the same session :S so the problem still occurs........

omg......

Bruno

Alvin Bruney said:
[...]

what do you mean? by both those statements...sorry i'm not following...

Chandra Sekhar

Why don't you use a hidden frame with a different domainname or ip address.
Your session will differ by that way.

Sekhar.

The Clansman

I'll try it,

thanks!!
Chandra Sekhar said:
Why don't you use a hidden frame with a different domainname or ip address.
Your session will differ by that way.

Sekhar.

Guest

Chandra Sekhar said:
Why don't you use a hidden frame with a different domainname or ip address.
Your session will differ by that way.

Hi,

I have the same problem, but I cannot switch to a different Session because
I need the user credentials - it's supposed to be a highly secured download.

Clansman, do you have any news on this issue?

Thanks,
Bye
Alexander