help need in chat client/server

HadsS

Hey...
Im new to this network programmin and I need help with this code i
copied and changed a little.
this is a client/server chat..
-----------------------
Server code:

require "socket"
PORT = 12321
server = TCPServer.new(PORT)
flag=true
while (session = server.accept)
while flag==true
print "Sending:"
line=gets.chomp!
session.puts line
end
end
----------------

Client Code:
require "socket"

PORT = 12321
HOST = ARGV[0] || "localhost"
flag=true
session = TCPSocket.new(HOST, PORT)
while flag==true
line = session.gets
puts "Recived:#{line} "
end
---------

i dont know what i did but its sort of doing a one way communication..
can someone please help me with creating two clients and making them
chat 2way amongst them..
please.. i would really be thankfulll
waiting for a reply

Glen Holcomb

[...]

There are a few logical/structural problems here:

Firstly, it is only one way because one end is sending and the other
listening but the sending end never listens and the listening end never
sends.

Secondly, control in this is going to be painful as it is. You probably
want to thread your program so that each end can "talk" and "listen" at the
same time. You could make it clunky and just switch between the two but
that would be rather un-intuative.

I would offer up some sample code but haven't done any socket programming in
Ruby and am currently at work I bet someone will come along with more
useful info though (I offer this as something to get you going in the right
direction until then).

Vince Forgetta

Hi HadsS,

There is some example code in Peter Coopers book (Beginning Ruby From Novice
to Professional):

http://www.springerlink.com/content/ph5611n3q3uu0619/

Not sure you'll have access to it. I can forward you the chapter if you
like.

I am working on some network programming in ruby as well. Maybe we can
collaborate a little. It's not the easiest thing to grasp :(

Vince

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Eleanor McHugh

Hey...
Im new to this network programmin and I need help with this code i

Visit the URL in my sig and download the Anchoring Trust presentation:
it has examples of writing all TCP and UDP client and server systems
along with some explanatory notes. There are probably bugs but along
with what you've already got it should be enough to teach you all the
basics of Ruby network programming.

Ignore all the other bits in there though - it'll only confuse
matters...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net

HadsS

Can someone please help me with threading.. i read about it but i dont
really get it..
Glen suggested it to use it to built two way communication..
If i culd get some code it would be reallly helpfull...

Jano Svitok

Hey...
Im new to this network programmin and I need help with this code i
copied and changed a little.
this is a client/server chat..

Did you try EventMachine? Once I wrote a TCP echo server under 30 minutes
(without any previous knowledge of EM, and this includes installation
of EM and reading its docs). Really nice.

J.