Help need setting up Visual Studio .NET for ASP.NET Web Applications

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by M Skabialka, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. M Skabialka

    M Skabialka Guest

    I installed Visual Studio Beta 2005 but setting up the SQL server was so
    complex I uninstalled it and put Visual Studio 2003 Academic on. I am
    totally new to Visual Studio and trying to teach myself from books and
    online classes. I tried to follow instructions to creating a new ASP.NET
    Web Application.
    The default location for this is
    http://localhost/WebApplication1
    I hit OK then get this message:

    The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
    open the Web project located at the following URL:
    'http//:localhost/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

    I hit OK, and nothing else happens - no project is created.
    Whenever I try to open .sln files (eg MOD11VB.sln) from the online classes I
    get these messages:

    I hit OK, then it says:
    'Solution C:\..........\MOD11VB.sln' and its projects must be converted to
    the formats used by this version of Visual Studio .NET.
    If you choose to convert this solution, all of its projects will be
    converted as well... etc

    I choose No and it closes, I choose Yes and in the Solution Explorer it says
    MOD11VB (unavailable)
    The project cannot be found.

    This happens to any .sln I have from any source, like sample apps, etc.

    Also, I don't know if I have http//:localhost set up right. Where or how is
    this
    done? I installed MSDE and it says it is running. IIS seems to be running
    in Services.

    I am completely lost here.... I am totally unable to create or view ASP.NET
    Web Applications.

    Any help will be deeply appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Mich

    M Skabialka, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Hi Mich,

    A couple of things to try:

    Run this free tool and make sure your Webs are set to v1.1.4322.

    http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

    Next, follow the instructions here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306005

    More info:

    "You must have IIS (Internet Information Services) installed before you
    install the .NET Framework. If you install IIS after you install the .NET
    Framework, you must also register the ASP.NET extensions with IIS. You can
    do this by running the aspnet_regiis executable from: %windows root
    directory%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\%version of the .NET
    Framework%\aspnet_regiis -r Where %windows root directory% is the directory
    Windows is installed to (typically c:\windows or c:\winnt) and %version of
    the .NET Framework% is the version of the .NET Framework you have installed.
    The directory for .NET 1.0 is v1.0.3705 and for 1.1 is v1.1.4322."

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Apr 13, 2005

  3. M Skabialka

    M Skabialka Guest

    I think I need to uninstall then reinstall everything in the right order.
    Thanks for your help..
    Mich

    M Skabialka, Apr 13, 2005