Help Needed !!! Browsing and Selecting More Than One File

Kilicaslan Fatih

Dear Diez B. Roggisch,

After clicking a button on the GUI the user can browse
and than select a ".c" file to assign to the other
program I have mentioned.

But in this way I can only select one file. I don't
know how to implement this application for all of the
"*.c" files in a folder. Do I need to write a for loop
for this? Or maybe I can create a list after
sequentially browsing files and than assign this list
as a parameter to the function I am executing.

Here is a part of the code, I am new to Python and
OOP. Sorry for the ambiguity in my question.

class App:

#Browsing the file, this is triggered
#through a menu
def browseFile(self):
global file
file = askopenfilename(filetypes = [("C source
code", "*.c"), ("All Files", "*.*")])

#Running the CC program
#This is triggered by a button push

def runCC(self, event):

if type(file)==str:
dosya = file
cmd = 'cc ' + dosya
return os.system(cmd)
else:
message = tkMessageBox.showinfo("Window
Text", "Please Browse a File Firstly")
print message

Regards,
Fatih K.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Eric Brunel

(Please quote at least a significant part of the message you're replying
to, or people will have trouble understanding what you're talking about....)

Dear Diez B. Roggisch,

After clicking a button on the GUI the user can browse
and than select a ".c" file to assign to the other
program I have mentioned.

But in this way I can only select one file. I don't
know how to implement this application for all of the
"*.c" files in a folder. Do I need to write a for loop
for this? Or maybe I can create a list after
sequentially browsing files and than assign this list
as a parameter to the function I am executing.

What has it to do with running your program with several file names as
arguments? Is it two different ways to select several files in your
application? Or do you want one or the other?
Here is a part of the code, I am new to Python and
OOP. Sorry for the ambiguity in my question.

class App:

#Browsing the file, this is triggered
#through a menu
def browseFile(self):
global file

This is unrelated to your question, but why do you use a global variable
in a class? Can't you use an instance attribute, or a class attribute? And
BTW, file is the name of a built-in, so using it to name a variable is a
bad idea.
file = askopenfilename(filetypes = [("C source
code", "*.c"), ("All Files", "*.*")])

So is it a third way of selecting multiple files? Anyway, if you want to
be able to select multiple files via askopenfilename, use
askopenfilename(..., multiple=1). The value returned by the function will
then be a sequence of file names.
#Running the CC program
#This is triggered by a button push
def runCC(self, event):
if type(file)==str:

Unrelated to your question again, but explicitely testing the type of a
variable is usually a bad idea. What can be stored in file? I'd set it to
None in the beginning, then test "if file is not None:" instead of testing
its type.
dosya = file
cmd = 'cc ' + dosya
return os.system(cmd)
else:
message = tkMessageBox.showinfo("Window
Text", "Please Browse a File Firstly")
print message

This line will always print None (or an empty string maybe), as
tkMessageBox.showinfo doesn't return anything. No print is needed here, as
showinfo already displays the message in a dialog.

You also have a branch of the 'if' explicitely returning something (the
result of the os.system call) and the other one not returning anything,
i.e implicitely returning None. Is there a reason for that? This is -
again - usually a bad idea as it makes your code difficult to understand..

HTH