HELP needed for a small script

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David, Jan 9, 2005.

  1. David

    David Guest

    First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
    this group
    I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    find on the web

    In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
    a txt file looking like:

    00001;we are preparing your order
    00002;we are preparing your order
    00003;your order has been shipped
    00004;we are preparing your order
    00005;we are waiting for your payment
    00006......

    The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
    box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
    order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
    returns for exemple "Order does not exist"

    As I'm a newbie (sorrrry ;-), how do I place this script in my html
    page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
    What about CHMOD ???

    I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    your help regarding this matter !

    Thanks in advance guys ;-)

    David
    David, Jan 9, 2005

  2. David wrote:
    > I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    > find on the web

    <job specification snipped>

    If you are looking for somebody who writes it for you, try:

    http://jobs.perl.org/

    If you want to give it a try yourself, these links might be useful:

    About Perl:
    http://learn.perl.org/

    About CGI scripts:
    http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/CGI_Tutorials/

    Then, if you encounter difficulties to make it work, you are welcome to
    ask for help. Ask here if the problem is about Perl itself, or else
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a more appropriate newsgroup.

    Good luck!

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 9, 2005

  3. David

    Guest

    David wrote:
    > First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern

    with
    > this group
    > I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    > find on the web
    >
    > In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would

    open
    > a txt file looking like:
    >

    > 00001;we are preparing your order
    > 00002;we are preparing your order
    > 00003;your order has been shipped
    > 00004;we are preparing your order
    > 00005;we are waiting for your payment
    > 00006......
    >
    > The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
    > box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
    > order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
    > returns for exemple "Order does not exist"
    >
    > As I'm a newbie (sorrrry ;-), how do I place this script in my html
    > page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
    > What about CHMOD ???
    >
    > I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    > your help regarding this matter !
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys ;-)
    >
    > David

    I am going sky diving tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone can give
    me some tips on how to make my own parachute...

    Just kidding!

    seriously, from one newbie to another, try these books:

    Learning Perl, Third Edition
    by Randal L. Schwartz, Tom Phoenix

    Official Guide to Programming with CGI.pm
    by Lincoln Stein

    MySQL and Perl for the Web
    by Paul DuBois

    wana
    , Jan 9, 2005
  4. David

    Muller Guest

    (David) wrote in news:dd02b68d.0501091432.213f51c4
    @posting.google.com:

    > First off all, my apologies if this message has no direct concern with
    > this group
    > I'm actually looking for help with a script for my website I couldn't
    > find on the web
    >
    > In order for my customers to track their orders, the script would open
    > a txt file looking like:
    >

    > 00001;we are preparing your order
    > 00002;we are preparing your order
    > 00003;your order has been shipped
    > 00004;we are preparing your order
    > 00005;we are waiting for your payment
    > 00006......
    >
    > The customer gives his order reference (field 1) in a "search" text
    > box, the script checks out the txt file and the page then returns
    > order status (field 2)- If order reference does not exist, page
    > returns for exemple "Order does not exist"
    >
    > As I'm a newbie (sorrrry ;-), how do I place this script in my html
    > page ? Do I have to create a .cgi file ? Cut & Paste in my page ???
    > What about CHMOD ???
    >
    > I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    > your help regarding this matter !
    >
    > Thanks in advance guys ;-)
    >
    > David

    If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
    will not help you
    try 911
    Muller, Jan 10, 2005
  5. Muller wrote:
    > If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
    > will not help you
    > try 911

    He did get help, both from wana and me.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jan 10, 2005
  6. David <> wrote:

    [ snip: needs a CGI program ]

    > how do I place this script in my html
    > page ?

    Don't you have the horse before the cart?

    You first have to _get_ a script before you need to know how
    to use it. Take smaller steps.

    It appears that you do not understand how the web works, because
    you do not put your script in the HTML, you do put a URL to
    the script in there though. The script itself is on the web *server*,
    not in the web page.

    If you are going to do this yourself rather than hire someone who
    already knows what needs to be known, then you should take a step
    back and get the big picture before delving into the details.

    The question above is not a Perl question, if you were using
    Python or Java the answer would be the same.

    > Do I have to create a .cgi file ?

    That is not a Perl question.

    It is a question about how to setup a CGI program (which depends
    on how your web server happens to be configured).

    Questions about web server configuration should be asked in:

    comp.infosystems.www.servers.mac
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
    comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

    Questions about the CGI environment should be asked in:

    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

    Questions about Perl should be asked in this newsgroup.

    > What about CHMOD ???

    I have never heard of "CHMOD", only "chmod". Case matters.

    What permissions are needed is also not a Perl question, it
    depends on how the web server has been configured.

    > I'm not asking for a complete course but I would be so grateful for
    > your help regarding this matter !

    None of your questions were about Perl, they were all about web
    servers and CGI programs.

    Nonetheless, there are some Perl FAQs that are likely to help you:

    perldoc -q CGI

    Where can I learn about CGI or Web programming in Perl?

    My CGI script runs from the command line but not the browser. (500
    Server Error)

    How can I get better error messages from a CGI program?

    How do I decode a CGI form?

    perldoc -q HTML

    How do I automate an HTML form submission?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jan 10, 2005
  7. Muller <> wrote:

    > If you are dying then you should choke in "perl", otherwise people here
    > will not help you

    Thank you for identifying yourself.

    I will make use of the information you have provided here!

    Tad McClellan, Jan 10, 2005